Dave

Reaction score
About 3 months ago a restaurateur relocated to a new site. They put up a new URL with the new address. They also somewhat changed their menu.

The current situation is somewhat messy. As of today there appears to be a redirect from the old url to the new url. With the old URL showing, an associated Map went up, a Local Graph went up but on certain pieces of info its mixed up information ie the menu isn't showing and the business no longer uses OpenTable for reservations. That info was pulled from the old data/url etc.

Old reviews in G+ were over 40 and a 3.7 rating. This is a place that "can" get great reviews. The operator is a friend.

I'd suggest starting over. Eliminate these old references. Connect the current url w/ G My Business...and start from scratch getting new reviews, plus building citations and references to the current site so as to show overall in G search.

Any suggestions??? Any insights??

Tammy Wood

Reaction score
One thing to try is, is submit a sitemap of the OLD URL, with 301's in place to the appropriate new URLs.
Tell Google in GWT you've moved. Give Google a bit to index the OLD site map, which will register the 301's.
Upload NEW site map to reinforce the indexation of the URL's based on the 301's.

The OLD urls will drop off in time. Access the Google+ page, update the information, verify etc, Google 'should' ( ha in a perfect world), reassociate all the information to the NEW website.
Also, update the maps location and make sure that what was in that new space ( physically) doesn't have it's own competing listings.

Clear as mud?

Dave

Reaction score
Good ideas. I'l do some things for this operator as a favor. He's a friend and I realized the other day that his current location is a "mess" in google. We'll have to sort this out.

Good ideas abt the 301's. I'll also have to look at the old link profile. Should have been something "good" the business was acclaimed for about 8 years before relocating.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L My business got suspended and then reinstated but something weird happens Help & Support for Google Local 3
R New business name, new domain, same local listing. What do you think will happen? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
R Service business that got deleted from Places? Here's what happens Help & Support for Google Local 6
Tony Wang GMB Suspensions Still Happening? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
C Odd GMB happening Google My Business & Google Maps 9
B What happens if you stop renting your office space? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
H Merging a duplicate GMB - what happens to the posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
U What happened to my old profile and posts from productforums? Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Benjamin Beck What Happens When Merging Accounts? Google Duplicates & Merges 3
AndiFox I can't believe this just happened Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Chaddow Strange things happening with review responses around the world Google My Business & Google Maps 13
obcted Sudden Steep Drop + Strange Happenings Local Search 9
J Ranking Puzzle: What Happened Here? Ranking Puzzles 26
JoyHawkins Ranking Puzzle: What Happened Here? Ranking Puzzles 26
Linda Buquet A Horror Story: Check Your Google Local Listings - Don't Let This Happen to You Spam on Google 16
Linda Buquet The 28th Google+ Local Page Removals Happened on 27th? Good News Though Google My Business & Google Maps 6
travelincat Why is this happening and is it fair? Local Search 14
Amber Robinson I reported a Spammy Pigeon listing and this is what happened Google My Business & Google Maps 6
RobinOctane How Did this Happen? Suddenly Flooded With Bad Listings Local Search 3
Amber Robinson Express Update - Has this happened to you? Citations 4
Linda Buquet When you Cancel Yext PowerListings What Happens to Citations? Citations 2
Linda Buquet SMB Warning: Check your Google+ Local Page - Don't Let This Happen to You! Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Travis Van Slooten "Fake" Addresses for Google Places Listings - What's The Worse That Could Happen? Local Search 13
Colan Nielsen InfoUsa - Odd Thing Happening Citations 13
dave101 Updating Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 1
sixthcitysarah Best platform for business location change? If necessary? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
R Suspended duplicate business Google Duplicates & Merges 3
AndiFox Despite my efforts, this business keeps adding info onto their name in GMB Help & Support for Google Local 3
stankolev What is the maximum number of categories single Google My Business listing can have? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 7
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 5
RobbertKleijwegt Q&A vanished after adding Products to business profile Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 3
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2