Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I seem to recall a thread similar to this one started already but I was unable to locate it. I have a client who lost all his reviews except 1 negative review.

His Google+ Local listing ranks great, in fact it's in the A spot for the primary keyword. This client is making a huge deal out of this and he's venting his frustration at myself and basically thinks it's our companies fault that he lost his reviews.

We explained the benefits of posting a response to the review and we have offered advice on how to get more reviews on Google as well as on 3rd party sites. Nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any out-of -the-box ideas that could possibly tame this Lion?

Nick.SEOSpark

Reaction score
Hi Colan,

Yes, I've had these recently as well so I share your pain on this. First off, here is Mike's take on the dilemma which is always valuable to read:

What Should You Tell A Client When Google Loses Their Reviews – A 4 Part Plan | Understanding Google Places & Local Search

In short, it's almost like there isn't anything you can say to make it better. It makes that little disclaimer on the contract a bit more relevant. We can't control what Google decides to do and that is the way it will always be. Although, the client doesen't want to take that view.

One idea is you could point them towards the many posts venting about the issue so that they know that it's not just them. However, that could open up a can of worms, as they might get further fixated on the issue.

Any more ideas from anyone?

Reaction score
Nick provided a terrific resource on this issue (thanks Nick). Pay special attention to point #4 of Mike's article - about copying your Google Reviews so you can use them on your website if necessary. This doesn't help your situation now, but it's a good practice to implement with all clients..."just in case."

Travis Van Slooten

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Colan,

Sucks! I feel your pain. All I can suggest is sharing the big consolidated review problem thread at the G forum so they know it's a major issue and not your fault.

Or since laughter is the best medicine maybe try sharing this if they have a sense of humor left at all. Google Reviews Comicgraphic - Why SMBs Hate Google+ Local :p

Nick.SEOSpark

Reaction score
Just thinking about all this stuff and how we break the news to clients, you "clearly have to have a thick skin" to work in Local SEO".

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
steviephil GMB Support telling me to delete & re-add listing to change its language? Multi-Location Issues 4
jasonfox I own a Real Estate Brokerage with 40 agents. What do I tell my agents when they can not create a GMB? Google Duplicates & Merges 17
JulJameson Who can tell me more? Recycle Bin 1
Rich Owings How to tell if a Factual listing exists? Citations 4
Tim Colling How to tell which GMB listing a case number refers to? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Tool Request: Ability to tell me all categories that a Google Maps listing has Local SEO Tools & Software 4
M How to Tell if GMB listing is already "Claimed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Oliver Keates How can I tell if a GMB listing is claimed Google My Business & Google Maps 2
jaywilner How to tell if a Google page is verified/claimed Google My Business & Google Maps 5
N Re: Local SEO: It's No Laughing Matter - 121 Comedy Movie References Tell the Whole S Recycle Bin 1
Garrett Sussman Make Sure Your Brand is Telling the Same Story as Your Reviews Local Reviews 6
J Is there a way to tell if someone is 301 redirecting to your site. Local Search 1
Conor Treacy 1 company, 2 locations (one physical, one service) - what to tell google? Local Search 6
Linda Buquet Do you have a Google Penalty? How to Tell & What to Do Organic SEO 4
L ▶ Content, Clicks, & Conversion: Online Marketing Pros tell their secrets - Video Local Content 0
Linda Buquet ▶ Content, Clicks, & Conversion: Online Marketing Pros tell their secrets - Video Local Content 0
Linda Buquet Local SEO: It's No Laughing Matter - 121 Comedy Movie References Tell the Whole Story Local Search 1
A How do I tell if I have a duplicate google plus listing?? Help & Support for Google Local 5
shondarogers Can you tell if a Google+ Local listing is already claimed in someone else's dash? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S How Can You Tell if a Plus and a Plus Local Page have merged? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
M Call Tracking Numbers: Did This Guy Just Tell Businesses to Commit Local Suicide? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Mike Wilton Call Tracking Numbers: Did This Guy Just Tell Businesses to Commit Local Suicide? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
JoyHawkins Best Way to Tell if a G+ Business Page has been Merged with the G+ Local Page or Not Local Search 17
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
B Multiple practictioners in one area- my client is getting bumped out Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Jen Currier Would you set up an Architect client with a Hybrid/SAB GMB listing if the location was residential? Service Area Businesses 2
Jen Currier Is there any advantage, besides a single sign in, to having all clients connected to our GMB account? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
J New client with existing spam Moving or Name Changes 7
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
D Client's Competition Keeps Trying to Take His Listing Spam on Google 2
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
CarrieHill Switchbird Solves Lead Nurturing & Client Communication for Agencies and Their Clients LSF News and Announcements 11
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Joe Good Client verified but pending since 10/19/20 Help & Support for Google Local 2
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
H Multiple negative reviews and threats from one client Local Reviews 3
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
coachmarino Company trying to sell client back their own GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D GMB Expansion for SAB Client who Acquired a Business Google My Business & Google Maps 1
brettmandoes Products - appears for some HVAC clients, but not others Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Unable to Log Into Client's GMB with Agency Email Help & Support for Google Local 5
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
I Client Suspended Thread: Please Help Help & Support for Google Local 5
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6