More threads by Dino

Dino

Reaction score
I've got a client who is moving his business location. He's got a lot of citations out there so the task is pretty daunting to do manually. What's the best way to update all of them with the new location? Do you recommend giving it to Moz Local or other service?

Thanks,
Dino

PS. I'm doing all paid search now and have been out of the local search niche for a few years now so not sure how to best approach this. I used to just contract it out to Upwork and have someone do them all by hand.

I would manually change all major listings (Google, Facebook, Bing, Yelp & Apple Maps) and use Moz Local for the rest.

@Dino, what @Rich Owings said. It will take at least a couple rounds of manual work, each 2-3 months apart, to update the important listings and to pick up most of the stragglers.

If you're already using Moz Local, then of course you'll want to update that. But if you're not using it already, I wouldn't suggest starting just for purposes of cleanup. Sometimes it creates duplicates.

The only situation I can think of in which Moz Local would definitely help (and not hurt) your client's cleanup is when he meets all these criteria: (1) his business in in the US, (2) a bricks-and-mortar business and not a service-area business with a hidden address, (3) he doesn't have listings on InfoGroup, LocalEze, and Acxiom already, and (4) you've already fixed up most of the listings that aren't in Moz's network.

Did you ever do citations for them before? If so, you'll have to do the cleanup manually. I would recommend doing it quickly.

If they haven't been done before, you'll just need to employ the services of a business listing service and they can clean them up for you.

Moz Local will not get the job done. Moz Local has a very useful purpose but it's not citation cleanup.

The worse if not impossible to cleanup is unstructured citations like comments etc..

I use Brightlocal and Yext that tends to cover a big chunk of tier 1 and tier 2 citations. Moz local is a good substitute for Yext, the Brightlocal team does a great job of updating citations for a low cost with way less leg work!

I use Brightlocal and Yext that tends to cover a big chunk of tier 1 and tier 2 citations. Moz local is a good substitute for Yext, the Brightlocal team does a great job of updating citations for a low cost with way less leg work!

BrightLocal and Yext together would be a good strategy for coverage.

Moz Local and Yext however are two very different services. Yext is a business listing service, Moz Local is a data aggregator service. A business listing service does not do what a data aggregator service does and vice versa. They should be used in conjunction together, not in place of one another.

BrightLocal and Yext together would be a good strategy for coverage.

Moz Local and Yext however are two very different services. Yext is a business listing service, Moz Local is a data aggregator service. A business listing service does not do what a data aggregator service does and vice versa. They should be used in conjunction together, not in place of one another.

Yext covers a majority of the aggregator's that Moz does, and BrightLocal offers the three of the four that Yext doesn't have.

The only site that Moz has that Yext and BrightLocal do not is Best of the Web, seems like a pretty fair split. If you can afford the Yext subscription that also gets you access to another 60+ citation sites.

Yext covers a majority of the aggregator's that Moz does, and BrightLocal offers the three of the four that Yext doesn't have.

The only site that Moz has that Yext and BrightLocal do not is Best of the Web, seems like a pretty fair split. If you can afford the Yext subscription that also gets you access to another 60+ citation sites.

Yext submits to Factual. That is the only data aggregator they cover unless I'm missing something:

Yext Listings | A Network of Powerful Listings - Yext

So yext does not actually cover the majority of aggregators that Moz does. There are only four data aggregators of consequence. Yext is missing 3 of them.

Also mentioned was that Moz Local is a good substitute for Yext. Moz Local cannot do what Yext can do. Neither can Yext do what Moz Local can do. Any business listing service should be used in tandem with a data aggregator service.

Yext submits to Factual. That is the only data aggregator they cover unless I'm missing something:

Yext Listings | A Network of Powerful Listings - Yext

So yext does not actually cover the majority of aggregators that Moz does. There are only four data aggregators of consequence. Yext is missing 3 of them.

Also mentioned was that Moz Local is a good substitute for Yext. Moz Local cannot do what Yext can do. Neither can Yext do what Moz Local can do. Any business listing service should be used in tandem with a data aggregator service.

Hope my attached image helps explain! Yext offers Google, Apple Maps, Bing, Factual, FourSquare, Hotfrog, Insider pages, and SuperPages. While Yext is not great if you are outside the US, for our US-based clients it's been fantastic.

BrightLocal offers Acxiom, Facual, Infogroup, and Neustar.

While of course using all 3 services would provide maximum coverage, I've found the most juice for the squeeze using BrightLocal and Yext.

Yext.PNG

Hope my attached image helps explain! Yext offers Google, Apple Maps, Bing, Factual, FourSquare, Hotfrog, Insider pages, and SuperPages. While Yext is not great if you are outside the US, for our US-based clients it's been fantastic.

BrightLocal offers Acxiom, Facual, Infogroup, and Neustar.

While of course using all 3 services would provide maximum coverage, I've found the most juice for the squeeze using BrightLocal and Yext.

Yext.PNG
Right, I think we're misunderstanding each other.

You had mentioned that Yext is a good substitution for Moz Local. I was merely saying it is not and they serve different functions.

BrightLocal instead of Moz Local would suffice. But Yext and Moz Local are not interchangeable. That was my only point :)

Here are Moz's distribution partners...
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.34.29 AM.png

Also I just wanted clarify, Yext does submit to just Factual under the basic package. But they do offer an aggregator add that cost a little bit more and does cover the other 3 aggregators!

Also I just wanted clarify, Yext does submit to just Factual under the basic package. But they do offer an aggregator add that cost a little bit more and does cover the other 3 aggregators!

I thought I had heard that but had not seen that service available anywhere.

Do you have a link or anything you know of?

Hi @JoshuaMackens I have reached out to my partner at yext about a possible article about the aggregator add on. He said that there is nothing on the site about it but he was able to write this up for me

"The Aggregator Pack includes the 3 primary US-based data aggregators, available as an add-on from the PowerListings Network: Axciom, Infogroup, Localeze.

Note, global aggregator Factual is included by default with the PowerListings Network.

Why would a customer want to buy an aggregator solution? Great question, the answer is generally one of three reasons:

• I'm massively rebranding substantial number of locations, and submitting to an aggregator (on a temporary basis) can be helpful in getting large-scale coverage.
  • There are long-tail publishers that I care about, which aren't offered by Yext, that I might be able to reach with an aggregator.
  • I've been submitting to aggregators for a long time and I don't want to rock the boat."

If you have any future questions about yext feel free to hit me up. My company is currently using them so I should be able to answer most of your questions.

Hi @JoshuaMackens I have reached out to my partner at yext about a possible article about the aggregator add on. He said that there is nothing on the site about it but he was able to write this up for me

"The Aggregator Pack includes the 3 primary US-based data aggregators, available as an add-on from the PowerListings Network: Axciom, Infogroup, Localeze.

Note, global aggregator Factual is included by default with the PowerListings Network.

Why would a customer want to buy an aggregator solution? Great question, the answer is generally one of three reasons:

• I'm massively rebranding substantial number of locations, and submitting to an aggregator (on a temporary basis) can be helpful in getting large-scale coverage.
  • There are long-tail publishers that I care about, which aren't offered by Yext, that I might be able to reach with an aggregator.
  • I've been submitting to aggregators for a long time and I don't want to rock the boat."

If you have any future questions about yext feel free to hit me up. My company is currently using them so I should be able to answer most of your questions.

What's the pricing on that?

What would these citations look like? You mean when social media users ask each other questions and provide answers?

He's talking about when blog commenting to build backlinks was a big deal. Basically you find websites that allow comments on their blog posts and you post a comment that is useful but also has a backlink in it to your website. I imagine he's talking about companies that did that same thing but instead of a backlink they posted a citation instead. Just my guess.

@JoshuaMackens The pricing depends on how many profiles you have on your account. If you have like 0-20 profiles it would be more expensive than if you have 200-300 profiles. I am currently on the yext package for 200-300 locations. At this level the price per profile is $50.82 annually. So it averages to a little over $4.00/profile monthly. We will be moving up to the 300-400 profiles in a couple months, so the price for the add on will be even cheaper then.

@JoshuaMackens The pricing depends on how many profiles you have on your account. If you have like 0-20 profiles it would be more expensive than if you have 200-300 profiles. I am currently on the yext package for 200-300 locations. At this level the price per profile is $50.82 annually. So it averages to a little over $4.00/profile monthly. We will be moving up to the 300-400 profiles in a couple months, so the price for the add on will be even cheaper then.

Great info, thanks!

And to be clear, this is just for the data aggregators?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom