More threads by alihafezi

alihafezi

Reaction score
Does building "Service X City Y" pages help with Google Local rankings?

Are there any other ways to increase rankings in cities that aren't near our physical address?

For those with experience in Google Ads, what's the best way of creating Google Local ads just for the map pack? It seems that the Local and Performance Max campaigns contain a whole bunch of useless ads in display networks that don't convert.

It's interesting because sometimes a search in the cities we actually wanna rank for will include a large radius that ends up encompassing our listing too in the local pack, but the majority of the time it doesn't.

Solution
Building "Service X City Y" pages will definitely help with Google ORGANIC rankings, but won't have much of an impact on local pack/finder/maps rankings. It can help a bit, though, as Google does use your website content for local pack/finder/maps rankings as well.
Building "Service X City Y" pages will definitely help with Google ORGANIC rankings, but won't have much of an impact on local pack/finder/maps rankings. It can help a bit, though, as Google does use your website content for local pack/finder/maps rankings as well.

Solution

Hey Darren, quick question for you:

Our business has the most optimized GMB profile, by far, among the competition.

Do you recommend I hide the address from our page for a month to see if this has an impact on our rankings since most of the areas we wanna target are far away from us?

Hey Darren, quick question for you:

Our business has the most optimized GMB profile, by far, among the competition.

Do you recommend I hide the address from our page for a month to see if this has an impact on our rankings since most of the areas we wanna target are far away from us?

Hmm. I don't think you should hide your address. I don't think it will have a positive impact, but your mileage may vary.

I am publishing an update to that case next week. It's very interesting, but it's not what I thought it was.

Stay tuned!

Question for you Darren, I read your article, but just want to clarify:

I work with a plumbing client that is currently verified with a Frisco, Texas address. However, Google is showing that they are actually in Little Elm, Texas. Problem outlined here: (Physical Address vs. Mailing Address - What Does Google Base Ranking On? - Sterling Sky Inc)

In 2023, their local map pack rankings have dropped in Frisco, despite having the best reputation, review frequency and quantity. I attribute it to Google not considering their business is in Frisco, but is instead in Little Elm.

I am going to swap out the local landing page from the homepage to a service area page with Frisco in the URL, optimized for Frisco keywords, which I am hoping will help them recapture rankings.

They also need to hide their address, as they no longer have a location in Frisco. I am considering keeping it verified as a service area business with Frisco, Texas as the primary location. Based on your research, their rankings shouldn't change too much, because Google will see their original location as in Little Elm city limits.

Hmm. I don't think you should hide your address. I don't think it will have a positive impact, but your mileage may vary.

I am publishing an update to that case next week. It's very interesting, but it's not what I thought it was.

Stay tuned!

I didn't catch the actual question, but I don't think you will see any difference in ranking when you hide the address as long as the verification address is the same as the address currently showing on the Profile. Sounds like they're both considered to be in Little Elm.

But, if you make this change to a service page optimized for Frisco at the same time, then that URL change will likely have an impact, so you might start to think that the hiding of the address had an impact. So don't do that.

Separate the two activities so you can evaluate the impact of each in a silo.

Hide the address first, then let it "simmer" for a week. That should be long enough to see if it had any impact.

After a week, then do this landing page swap and see if that has any impact.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom