More threads by JayT

JayT

Reaction score
When typing "weed control atlanta ga" or pick your city (any city in the US), GBP always returns listings with the word "Weed" in the search results with no exceptions. Even the major lawn care companies that are most likely spending thousands on marketing and SEO do not show up on GBP for any weed control related terms. Feel free to pick any location in the USA to test my findings. I've been monitoring this bug since January of this year. We have a client that's asking us why he doesn't rank on the map for "weed control city st" and we have to tell him that it's because there's seemingly a bug with GBP. I've reported this to @Johnmu on Twitter and GBP on twitter on multiple occasions but always get their canned response like I'm an idiot and don't understand dIsTancE, prOxImiTy, and reLEVanCe. How would one go about getting someone at Google to recognize this obvious bug and get it corrected? I believe this is obviously an algorithmic issue with the map rankings.

Solution
Misaligned search terms are a thing yes, and they are almost impossible to get around. I'm more familiar with charging station-related ones: it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a threepack for electricians with anything whatsoever to do with charging stations.

isn't he saying that the only companies that rank for anything regarding "weed control" in the 3 pack are companies who keyword stuff their GBP name.

So like:
  • Lawn busters - weed control Atlanta
  • Lawncare - weed control
  • Jerrys lawn service and weed control
Ranks for weed control specifically because they keyword stuff "weed control" in their name. He's saying that Google is only showing businesses who keyword stuff.
Misaligned search terms are a thing yes, and they are almost impossible to get around. I'm more familiar with charging station-related ones: it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a threepack for electricians with anything whatsoever to do with charging stations.

isn't he saying that the only companies that rank for anything regarding "weed control" in the 3 pack are companies who keyword stuff their GBP name.

So like:
Ranks for weed control specifically because they keyword stuff "weed control" in their name. He's saying that Google is only showing businesses who keyword stuff.

Solution

So like:

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️You are totally right. I thought he meant he was getting weed shop stuff (which, admittedly is not likely to happen in Atlanta, but I'm in Montreal). Not surprising, either way, sadly. All things being equal, the business with keywords in the GBP name will have a significant edge.

Mind you, the top three I see shows no keyword stuffed names:
1691679056719.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom