jhoecannon

Reaction score
I have a customer that owns a local jewelry store. Up until 1 week ago, his business had received 11 reviews...all EXCELLENT reviews...his Zagat score showed 30/30 as it should have.

Now, during the past week, he still shows 11 reviews...all Excellent reviews...but, now, his Zagat score shows 29/30.

Does anybody know what the change may be?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi jhoecannon,

Did you post about this in the Google forum too? Because if that wasn't you then someone else reported something very similar. I barely scanned it so don't remember the details. If that wasn't you, let me know and I can try to find it to see if Google or one of the TCs had an answer. If I remember right I think it was escalated so I can try to find out if Google replies.

But my guess would be they got a negative RATING, not review that pulled their count down. So reviews stayed the same but overall score went down.

jhoecannon

Reaction score
Linda...no, I didn't post this on Google's forum...I've only posted it here. If you can find that thread on Google's forum, I would sure like to read it. I'll be looking, also.

When you say that their business must have received a "negative rating", where would somebody post such a rating...any idea?

Perhaps you're saying that somebody rated their business as a "0", "1", or "2" ...but, left no explanation as to why...is this what you mean? If that were the case, that's an incomplete review and I wouldn't think Google would even use it. After all, the business owner has no opportunity to respond to such a "negative rating".

jhoecannon

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Wow found it - heated and very interesting thread.

OK here it is: ALL Reviews are EXCELLENT! Why is score 29, not 30????? Google math sucks!!? - Google Groups

Here's the important part from Google's own rating doc: We take these ratings, average them, and then multiply by ten to arrive at averaged scores. We then may adjust the overall ratings based on user inputs and other signals to ensure these ratings best reflect the quality of the establishment.

Then Blumenthal said what I said earlier: "There is a simple explanation for many of these situations. Someone left a rating and not a review. Ratings count towards to total but are not shown on the +local page."

Jade in another thread said they take lots of signals into account and it's all calculated by the algo, so not straight addition just based on the reviews.

BUT 29/30 is darned good and to many consumers sounds more believable than 30/30. Google could LOSE all 11 reviews - now that would be something to get worried about. But I would not lose sleep over a 29/30 score. :)

jhoecannon

Reaction score
Linda...thanks for finding that thread.

Wow...this has made a lot of business owners mad and I can certainly understand why. My customer, the owner of that jewelry store, relies heavily on his Google+ Local listing and his rating to obtain new business...and, Google is doing nothing to help his business.

Thanks so much!!

jhoecannon

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
S Site has higher DA and more backlinks than sites on 1st page and still not on 1st page Local Search 5
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
dateinadash This location has been suspended due to quality issues - going round in circles! Please help? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Google My Business has been 5 months, no verification code has been received Help & Support for Google Local 3
djbaxter Tired eyes or dry eyes? Firefox has an extension to help Websites, Software, and Security 1
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
djbaxter NEW New feature: You can now bump a thread if no one has replied to your question How To Guides 1
jpayne7 Claiming SAB That Has No Visible Claim Option Service Area Businesses 5
djbaxter Xenforo 2.2 has been released Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 4
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
Eoghan_MFeed Does anybody have any idea how many users Apple Maps actually has? Local Search 0
Tim Kahlert Listing has Title + Subtitle? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Nikki Stine One SAB purchases another SAB, has reviews on both GMBs - possible to merge? Service Area Businesses 2
sixthcitysarah USPS Has Marked this Address Inactive? Recycle Bin 1
djbaxter SEO people continue to debate about E-A-T but Google has been clear and consistent Organic SEO 0
eshad Google has merged accounts but is showing an old listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Barb Davids Business Has Been Disabled, But Why Google My Business & Google Maps 2
sixthcitysarah Has anyone received Google Ads credits yet? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 23
C Service area business has no findable Place ID Google Local 101 6
J Has Anyone Experienced Automatic Suspension After Verifying Location Local Search 6
W Verified GMB has a ".com.au" but main website is ".com" Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tiggerito Unfortunate event has triggered review and image attacks across multiple listings Help & Support for Google Local 6
T How has your experience been so far with Google's Redressal Complaint Form? Recycle Bin 2
T Has anyone had success reporting schema spam to google? Spam on Google 5
Rich Owings Home page text and map rankings -- has it changed? Google Algorithm Discussions 6
Rich Owings Large construction company has campus with multiple divisions Google Duplicates & Merges 4
T GMB has had my business in pending since June, 2018! Google My Business & Google Maps 6
M This location has been suspended due to quality issues. Learn more Contact Us Messages 1
Travis Van Slooten GMB Dashboard Has One Address But Displays a Different Address in Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
faisal Your account has been rejected for the following reason: spam source. Contact Us Messages 0
nathangdavidson Competitor has added additional GMB profile for their home address, allowed? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J This Pediatric Dentist has NO Idea Who She's up Against! Recycle Bin 0
D One of my clients has seen a new listing appear with a very similar name to theirs, but linking to their website Help & Support for Google Local 3
Michael S. Doran How has your experience been so far with Google's Redressal Complaint Form? Recycle Bin 0
AndySimpson Where has all the spam gone? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J Tool Request: Ability to tell me all categories that a Google Maps listing has Local SEO Tools & Software 4
nathangdavidson Category being displayed isn't one client has selected NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Ellen Organization Has GMB Listing but Serves No Customers Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Wondered if anyone has a list of businesses that trigger the maps Local Search 2
Chaddow Google Maps Driving Directions Update ? Has anyone seen this Google My Business & Google Maps 4
N GMB Q&A's only populating a few of the Q&A's that the business has posted NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 13
S Has anyone seen improved rankings from doing GMB posts consistently? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Tim Colling Has anyone tried / Does anyone use Local Viking Local Search Experts Forum 3
Tim Colling How has your experience been so far with Google's Redressal Complaint Form? Google My Business & Google Maps 58
Chaddow Has any one had this problem - Verifying a location appears in the knowledge graph but not in maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
PaulSteinbrueck GMB listing has events for other organizations Google My Business & Google Maps 3
jasonfox A client was ranking in the top 3 results on map pack and after web redesign has fallen to 11 Local Search 7