More threads by Cherie Dickey

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'd like to start tracking visits to GMB listings using a tracking URL, but am worried about the potential of that URL being distributed to other directories as the main link to the Website. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not this would be an issue?

I'm thinking it's not, but I'd like to be sure...

Thanks!
Cherie

We use UTM parameters to track our URLs inside Google My Business and we've never run into that issue.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We use that as well and haven't had issues. Sometimes Moz Local picks it up, but I just go in and change the url on Moz Local. Not sure if it matters if they end up distributing that or not. I can't imagine it would.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it :)

I guess my main concern is that if it's distributed to directories, wouldn't that skew the data in Analytics? Or am I misunderstanding how these URLs work? Visits to that URL in GA wouldn't tell me where the link was clicked on, would it?

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it :)

I guess my main concern is that if it's distributed to directories, wouldn't that skew the data in Analytics? Or am I misunderstanding how these URLs work? Visits to that URL in GA wouldn't tell me where the link was clicked on, would it?

Correct. But what they above posters are saying it is unlikely anyone picks up the URL from GMB and distributes it.

I'm actually unaware of any directory or data aggregator that uses GMB data to populate listings on their own websites.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom