bravemem

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm wondering the possibilities of the best route to take in this situation.

We work with a fairly large corporation that owns & operates "mini companies". They're 100% legit and the services they offer are real & good.

Two of the businesses are similar in industry.

These two businesses have completely separate names, completely separate websites, completely separate addresses, but share the same phone number.

Since each business in their own right is pretty popular, they have naturally gained a lot of citations (NAP). Cleanup for one of them will never be 100%.

Is it still possible for both GMB locations to have a chance in Google Maps or what risks are involved in this situation.

Thanks for the help.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
If they are in the same industry, especially if they have the same categories and phone number, there is a really good chance that one of them will get filtered for certain search terms. Is there any reason not to get a unique phone number for each location?

bravemem

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I was speaking with the company about a different phone number and they're down for it, but there are already 200 big citations and that's the site with fewer citations. The other one has close to 1k.

Even with 200 citations, cleanup and fixing the phone number for every single one would be impossible.

Even the big data aggregators have the same number for both businesses.

Each business is well-established so this won't be an easy one.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
You wouldn't need to clean-up all 200 citations. If you went that route you only really need to focus on the Data Providers as well as maybe the top 20 to 30 plus any niche sites. You could also leave the original number in the GMB dashboard as an "additional" number to help Google connect the dots.

Do either of the listings currently rank well? Whichever one is performing better is the one that I would keep existing phone number for.

bravemem

Reaction score
Thanks Colan.

One of them ranks well, the other (with the 200 citations) are just starting an SEO campaign.

In your mind, what makes a citation considered a "top citation" versus another? I know that if the name is popular and recognizable, of course, but is there any other criteria?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
stevedimatteo Separate Businesses at Same Mailing Address Google My Business & Google Maps 3
K "Suite B" for single location that's two separate businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
K "Suite B" for single location that's two separate businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Adam Steele One business with two different services. Market separately? Local Search 1
Scott Rawlins Separate Businesses Using Same Address, Different Site and # Google My Business & Google Maps 4
m_j_gregory Merging Google+ Business Page and Google+ Local Listing (via separate accounts) Help & Support for Google Local 25
greenworld_ Adding a new location extension for a separate GMB listing Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
T Separate GMB listings for head office/factory and factory/showroom Multi-Location Issues 3
melinaedealer Separate Department Listing Issues Multi-Location Issues 2
Rich Owings B&B considering separate GMB listing for restaurant Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Dan Foland What are your thoughts on separate blogs throughout a website? Organic SEO 8
Ellen Separate Addresses for Car Dealership and its Service Department Google My Business & Google Maps 8
C Ranking Puzzle: Discovered a listing that ranks for two separate domains Ranking Puzzles 3
C Ranking Puzzle: Discovered a listing that ranks for two separate domains Ranking Puzzles 3
A Using a variation of an address for a separate 7-pack listing? Local Search 3
Rich Owings Duplicate pages under separate email account Help & Support for Google Local 24
K Threaded Post to my previous Here? or Separate section of forum ? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet Is there a 2nd Separate Google Local Index??? A Puzzle... Google My Business & Google Maps 0
S Should Franchisees with the same phone numbers have separate listings? Help & Support for Google Local 5
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 0
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 2
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 Years in Business (Misleading) - Thoughts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Matt Chauhan How to deal with a business merger? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
dateinadash SAB location no longer appears next to my business Service Area Businesses 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
P How to reclassify a business as a SAB? Service Area Businesses 8
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1