More threads by newtolocalseo

newtolocalseo

Reaction score
Hi all. Recently started helping a friend with SEO and after reading a ton of posts, decided to sign up here.

One thing that I still see a lot of conflicting information on is url structure. Is this ahrefs article the best practice in 2024? It looks like a few years ago that may not have been the case, and a flat structure with the location & service in the slug was more common?

What are implementing today?

Type A

www.example.com/emergency-plumbing-new-york

www.example.com/wallpaper-removal-new-york

** when I check new client sites from other agencies, there’s quite a bit of this structure being used

Type B

www.example.com/location/service

www.example.com/new-york/emergency-plumbing

www.example.com/new-york/wallpaper-removal

Type C

www.example.com/service/location/

www.example.com/emergency-plumbing/new-york

www.example.com/wallpaper-removal/new-york

I'll take Type A all day.

Thanks! That’s what I initially planned on using but the ahrefs article & some other posts sent me back to researching the best structure.

We have a site with 300+ pages, 2 locations & two specialties (think hvac & roofing, for example) which could become cumbersome with a flat structure.

Do you mix and match flat url structures for more important key words, with a parent/child structure for others ?

Same as Colan, we use Type A 99% of the time. It's rare that we would go outside of that structure.

Same as Colan, we use Type A 99% of the time. It's rare that we would go outside of that structure.

Thanks! How would you tackle a franchise with 25 locations & many services?

Just hope to spark some great conversation points on this.

I’m not surprised by the preference of Option A based on what we’ve seen in practice, but makes ya wonder about that ahrefs article!

How would you tackle a franchise with 25 locations & many services?
I would create pages for each location + service combo. I'd first check to see that a main location page isn't already ranking for the service you plan to create a specific page for.

I would create pages for each location + service combo. I'd first check to see that a main location page isn't already ranking for the service you plan to create a specific page for.

Great point on checking the home page ranking.

Out of curiosity have you tested using /location/service vs /location-service?

/location-service performed best in our testing.

Type B is generally preferred in 2024, especially for multi-location businesses. It’s organized, helps with local SEO, and is scalable.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom