Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
The news about the Google "Mobilegeddon" update struck fear into site owners far and wide. But the aftermath was reportedly not too bad and some cried that the update was overhyped and the algo didn't really make much of a difference.

But here are some stats that tell a different story and according to these numbers, the impact may have been greater than many previously thought.

Wesley Young from Local Search Insider reports:

<a href="http://www.lsainsider.com/3-months-later-measuring-impact-of-googles-mobilegeddon-search-algorithm-change/">3 Months Later: Measuring Impact of Google’s Mobilegeddon Search Algorithm Change | LSA Insider</a>

The drama leading up to the change resulted in somewhat of a let-down when media coverage of immediate results reported only slight changes. But a couple of recent studies based on a broad look at the impact of Google’s algorithm change confirm the importance of mobile sites.

A study by Stone Temple Consulting that looked at over 15,000 search queries and the resulting top 10 results concluded that Google’s algorithm did give a big boost to mobile sites. Mobile site URL’s outperformed non-mobile URL’s in both a greater number of sites that gained rank and fewer sites that lost rank.

30.1% of mobile friendly sites gained rank compared to only 19.5% of non-mobile friendly sites. And only 25.4% of mobile friendly sites lost rank compared to almost 50% of non-mobile friendly sites.

Click both links above to see all the graphs and stats.

What about you?

Did you see much of an impact on your local client's rankings or traffic?

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Mobilegeddon Was a Big Deal After All

Google’s ‘Mobilegeddon’ Was a Big Deal, After All
By Alistair Barr, Wall Street Journal
July 18, 2015

BN-JJ807_Mobile_G_20150714191941.jpg

[URL="http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/07/15/googles-mobilegeddon-was-a-big-deal-after-all/"]Read more...

BN-JJ807_Mobile_G_20150714191941.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
Gordon.Ligon SAB stuck in Pending after successful Post Card Verification 2+ months ago Service Area Businesses 2
S Added the Year and Month the Business Started - Listing was Immediately Suspended Help & Support for Google Local 7
M Google My Business has been 5 months, no verification code has been received Help & Support for Google Local 3
M Haven't received the code over a month? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
bryanrainey GMB Still Pending After 1-Month Help & Support for Google Local 4
ErinJones Google My Business Category Changes by Month Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Nicole Basham No response from GMB Support after a month despite following up Help & Support for Google Local 2
Chris Ratchford Waiting for Google to merge listings for over 4 months Google Duplicates & Merges 4
DanielTexasLira GMB Verification code is taking forever to arrive. Waiting over 2 months Google My Business & Google Maps 2
CraigJMount Virtual Tours Delayed 1-2 Months Local Search 0
A 😭 Verified GMB account pending for over a month now ⏳ Google My Business & Google Maps 9
djbaxter Barry Schwartz: Summary of recent algorithm turmoil and bugs over the past month Google Algorithm Discussions 0
S What backlink work for a client paying $500 and $1000 a month? Consultant's Corner 8
Rich Owings Conflicts of interest for agency focusing on projects (and not on monthly clients) Consultant's Corner 5
cleverlyengaged Multiple reviews from customers are not displaying on client's GMB profile. Nothing for 9 months. Local Reviews 6
hajnasiewicz GSC discontinues support for Mobile Apps end of the month (March 31, 2019) Mobile & Social 0
djbaxter Windows 10 to automatically uninstall problematic monthly updates Websites, Software, and Security 0
Jen Currier New Business Moving in 6 months - Submit Aggregator Listings Now or Later Citations 2
juliaannCA Which software do you use for monthly reporting to clients for your agency? Recycle Bin 0
John Vuong Which software do you use for monthly reporting to clients for your agency? Local Search 23
W GMB Listing Sank Over The Past Few Months Service Area Businesses 6
Creativedge Search results are much worse months after merging. Help & Support for Google Local 7
L Is it possible to get more that a 3 months worth of data from google my business ? Local Search 3
H Indexing blog content without a massive list of archive months Local Search 3
JoyHawkins How Much Time do you Invest in Training Each Month? Consultant's Corner 7
H Blogging for local client got 189 visits last month, 9 from their home state Local Search 7
CodyBaird Angie's List Paid Advertising: How much monthly? Any success with dental clients Marketing 1
Linda Buquet Confessions of a Google Spammer - Journey From 50K a Month to White Hat Organic SEO 4
Scott Rawlins Ranking Old Urls After 6 Months Organic SEO 4
Linda Buquet Is Google Un-Verifying GMB Listings that are Inactive for 6 Months? Google My Business & Google Maps 22
Linda Buquet Are the days of $2,000 a month Local SEO clients over? Local Search Pros Discuss Consultant's Corner 0
warrenpd How YP Ruined My Month Local Search 2
H answering the question of "why does this take 6 months" Consultant's Corner 11
O Why would I lose ownership of my Business Page to a MANAGER I added a month ago ? Help & Support for Google Local 13
Linda Buquet Local SEO Priorities Month 1? 7 Experts Weigh In Local Search 2
Colan Nielsen Ongoing SEO Monthly Action Items Local Search 1
L Google query to search for results only in the last 6 months? Marketing 3
D Local Listing Dropped from Pack in Last 2 Months Help & Support for Google Local 7
H Still no verification after months of requests Help & Support for Google Local 2
D How to determine halfway through a month how listings are performing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Chris Ratchford A month after phone call with Google rep- still no action? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Akuta Not ranking after ~5 months Help & Support for Google Local 8
J Google place in pending status for past five months. Please help Help & Support for Google Local 19
Brian Alaway Places stuck for months in "Pending" state Help & Support for Google Local 27
Linda Buquet Get a FREE Month of Google AdWords Express Ads - Happy Holidays Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter David's To Do List for 3 Month-iversary Launch Mod Squad 25
Linda Buquet 3 Month Birthday Ideas??? Mod Squad 32
Linda Buquet For A Ghost Town, Google+ Sure Grew A Lot Last Month - Wonder if SMBs Helped? Local Search 2
djbaxter Page load speed: Comparison of 4 measurement sites Local SEO Tools & Software 5