Reaction score
I am working with a retirement community that wants to highlight amenities in Google Maps with unique listings for each one. Some of these amenities are public, with parking lots and a dedicated address. I have found many in Google Maps already that are unclaimed, possibly added by residents/users such as "Fishing Pond", "Pool", "Event Lawn", etc. Many don't have a street address, phone or website, just a city, state and zip.

My advice was to limit amenities only to those with a dedicated physical address and parking lot. Do you agree? I am also trying to nest them all under the main Community listing in Google My Business.

The problem is there are 30+ landmarks/amenities for one of the properties and since they are unclaimed, I am forced to create postcards for each one.

GregM

Reaction score
Hi,

I would not recommend undertaking this. More than likely these places don't qualify to be on the map in most cases and would likely be removed when found by dedicated mappers. They also in my opinion would not meet the standard to be claimed. You should be looking to create a custom Google My Map for these communities instead.

Reaction score
Hi,

I would not recommend undertaking this. More than likely these places don't qualify to be on the map in most cases and would likely be removed when found by dedicated mappers. They also in my opinion would not meet the standard to be claimed. You should be looking to create a custom Google My Map for these communities instead.

Thanks for the feedback! My concern is they could continue to be created. I have tried to edit/remove several of these landmarks that are duplicates/not accurate, but my edits have not been published/can't be verified.

Some also have many reviews as an Event Venue, which would be a different category from the retirement community. My goal was to keep perhaps those with reviews, unique address, public location, unique category.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
My advice was to limit amenities only to those with a dedicated physical address and parking lot. Do you agree?

I agree with that part of the strategy: limit GMB pages to facilities that have a definable, distinct, bricks-and-mortar presence. Like cafes or indoor event venues. Other spaces would fall into more of a gray area.

Fewer than 30 but more than 0 would be eligible, I would guess. What your client needs to do is provide you a list of the specific amenities that according to your client should have GMB pages, and then you triage them. Some will just get removed, and others could cannibalize the visibility of the main GMB page.

Also, my hunch is that someone in-house or hired by the client is adding those rogue GMB pages. I'd be surprised if the retirees or guests are doing it.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that helped clarify.

We are moving forward with verifying public facing amenities. For example, there is a dog park at the community that is open to the public. It has an address and people typically drive to this park. I think it is a perfect candidate for having a location. We will be removing a residents only pool, since it isn't public. There are quite a few amenities we will remove, only keeping 3 to 5 points of interest

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@cleverlyengaged, the dog park is a great example of an amenity that's public-facing and distinct enough that it warrants its own GMB page. (The residents-only pool is a good example of one that's not.)

It doesn't need its own phone number, and it's fine if the address is the same as that of the retirement community.

For an extra bump and maybe some organic visibility, consider creating a page on the site all about the dog park, and using that as your GMB landing page URL.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
sixthcitysarah Advice for Dental Office Buying Closed Practice? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
coachmarino Advice for Suspended Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
raellovepie Reported GMB keeps coming back. Need Advice Spam on Google 1
J Advice Needed - GMB Listing Visibility Issues Help & Support for Google Local 7
B SAB With Virtual Address - Advice Needed Help & Support for Google Local 4
Nicole Basham Multi-service Service Area Business: GMB Optimization Advice Needed Service Area Businesses 2
AdamB In need of advice - Spam listing keeps reappearing Spam on Google 16
rutkap Spam Help/Advice Needed Spam on Google 20
ValerieM Advice Local Directory Listing Service - Suggestions or Advice Citations 24
M Advice needed can I have my GMB cake and eat it? Multi-Location Issues 3
Colan Nielsen [Examples Needed] GMB Support Offering Ranking Advice Google My Business & Google Maps 2
P Creating local city pages near to my branches advice Local Search 4
Tim Colling Facebook Page Merging advice Mobile & Social 21
C Multi-Location Keyword Targeting - Looking for Thoughts / Advice Multi-Location Issues 0
chrish Multi-Location Keyword Targeting - Looking for Thoughts / Advice Multi-Location Issues 4
D Need advice on a bad reviews from competitors Local Reviews 7
BaggySEO Some advice on a bad review please Local Reviews 3
H My Advice on Chamber of Commerce Links Local Search 1
brownaddesign GMB Business Hours - Need Advice Google My Business & Google Maps 3
P Advice on URL Redirects Local Search 2
SEOExpertBrad Could use some advice dealing with a Local GMB spammer.... Local Search 2
W Google Reviews Removed - Any advice welcomed Local Reviews 10
P Hyphen In Domain / Domain name advice ? Local Search 4
J Just Starting Out As A Freelance Content Writer. Advice Is Welcome. Consultant's Corner 4
djbaxter Need advice. Google post card sent. Now client says no mail delivery there. Help & Support for Google Local 3
Tilak Advice on Firm Names vs Website Local Search 2
T Advice on National Brands Local Search 12
J Got a brand domain but should I register a PMD to help rank ? Any advice please :-) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Need advice with this MCF Google My Business & Google Maps 0
P Could i have some advice on a recent drop in rankings on a clients site Local Search 4
Mike NCM Need advice on converting a 'blackhat' site to 'whitehat' Local Search 6
Linda Buquet Google My Business Finally Adds Advice for Working w/ SEO Companies - Joy Hawkins Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J In Local Pack for most keywords but NOT main keyword , any advice please Help & Support for Google Local 7
James Watt Questionable Advice on recent Search Engine Land article Google My Business & Google Maps 20
H Organic Penalty Advice - your thoughts Local Search 3
J Advice Needed on Client My Business Listing and Maps Help & Support for Google Local 5
web50local Need Advice: Same Business Name, Different URLs and Locations Local Search 4
Jim Froling Great advice from Phil Rozek Consultant's Corner 4
JoshuaMackens UBL/Advice Interactive Merger Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Multi - location advice: call center and phone number Multi-Location Issues 5
H Multi - location advice: call center and phone number Multi-Location Issues 5
D Need some advice Help & Support for Google Local 7
M Google Local Listing Advice Service Area Businesses 5
MarketingGiant Google Local Listing Advice Service Area Businesses 5
Linda Buquet Your best Local Search ranking advice? In just one sentence. GO! Local Search 38
dani Seeking advice about 2 Local listings Help & Support for Google Local 6
R Seeking Advice - Possibly Hijacked Email Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
M Client's site is over-optimized (urls, footer, anchors). Need advice! Local Search 11
brentnau Advice To Remove False Review Google My Business & Google Maps 4
shondarogers Advice on Advertising on Yelp vs Google Express Local Search 5