Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Just got this email from Amazon:

amazon local associates.png

So Amazon will give my business a product page where I can review other products and services related to my business... Interesting. It's like an in-Amazon affiliate program for businesses. Use local service businesses as the experts to make product recommendations and then the business gets paid when someone clicks their referral link.

Do you think businesses will use this? Better question... how soon till this gets abused?

amazon local associates.png

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Yep Eric, sounds like that to me too.

Businesses can create a page of products they don't sell or carry, that their customers may need. Then the biz gets commish if they're local customers buy Amazon products from their page.

So it's just like the existing affiliate program. They are just putting a spin on it to help SMBs see how they could refer customers and make extra revenue via Amazon sales.

If only SABs and affiliates alike realized how much commission they are losing on ALL affiliate programs due to the multi-device way people live these days, they would not bother.

I used to be an affiliate manager and also did affiliate recruiting for companies including Google, Microsoft and National Geographic. I feel like I got out of the business just in time. I'd hate to be in that field today having to break it to affiliates that a large % of their sales commissions aren't trackable. :(

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Definitely got that after reading through all the material, but this does seem like you can create a business page on Amazon. So it's another barnacle site to optimize, right? I think it's a cool spin on their affiliate program, and something service area businesses should take a hard look at.

Not sure what extent it could be optimized to. I'll need to create one and play around with it a little. Could be an opportunity to expand the business presence using a very strong domain... assuming these pages can get indexed. Again, I need to play with it since I just got the email today.

theitsage

Reaction score
This is an extension to Amazon Local Services. It has been terrible for service providers because the inquiries through this program are generic and low value. Also, you get to deal with people who planned on DIY but were curious if the pros would do it for some extra change.

Let's dissect the benefits Amazon is selling you.

In order to make any money from affiliate links, you'll need very high traffic. I doubt a local service business can generate a reasonable amount of clicks to make it worth it. It is beneficial for Amazon though because this program gets desperate businesses to create content in a sector Amazon has yet to dominate.

Regarding SEO, it's arguable whether there's any benefits. In 2017, Google was aggressive with websites that serve content for the sole purpose of capturing affiliate clicks. Amazon Local Associates pages fit this category. You can optimize this page to provide more content than Amazon's products. The question I would ask is "If you're spending that much effort, would you rather do it on your own domain of control?

paulcarl

Reaction score
You can't use your normal affiliate account with this service. :(

When I tried to login/signup it told me I'd have to close my online affiliate account. That's pretty lame of them.

Chris Jara

Reaction score
Paulcarl,

Do you think you could have setup another account to sign-up for the local associates program?

paulcarl

Reaction score
I dunno. I don't wanna risk accidentally violating some rule and losing my affiliate income over it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet BREAKING: Is Google Getting into the Home Services Market Like Amazon? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Monica Simpson Amazon/Alexa in the Digital Marketing Space? Marketing 0
D Amazon Hubs? Local Search 3
Jo Shaer Amazon Alexa UK Searches and Yext Local Search 5
Garrett Sussman 10 Amazon Review Features That Should Exist On Every Review Site Local Reviews 3
I Amazon - А Story of А Digital Marketing Fail Local Search 1
S How is Amazon Home Services affecting Local Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Huge Fake Review Lawsuit - Amazon Smacks Down 1000 Fiverr Users Local Reviews 4
A Re: Amazon Services Introducing Selling Services on Amazon Recycle Bin 1
O Amazon Services Introducing Selling Services on Amazon Local SEO Tools & Software 1
Hammer Site manager trying to get listing ownership All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Multiple practictioners in one area- my client is getting bumped out Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
T GMB Getting suspended after verification. Help & Support for Google Local 4
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
K Unable to get verified in Google for SAB Local Search 14
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Tim Kahlert How to get the insights report's csv file into a good format? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
R Map pin and get directions discrepancy Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
K Getting slammed on Q&A Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Scott ClientClicks How to get GMB to show social media icons in knowledge panel? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B "Check Insurance Info" Link In GMB - How'd it get there? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
AndiFox Suspension. How to get reinstatement? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
valentinb13 No support follow up on getting access to/ownership of existing listings Help & Support for Google Local 2
Professor M Google My Business Messaging and Metrics are getting a boost Google My Business & Google Maps 13
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
Bryan Bloom Users added to a GMB but never get an invite.... 👿 Help & Support for Google Local 5
kathleen.rhodes We are unable to get Google to merge 2 duplicate listings into the correct one Google Duplicates & Merges 1
NickB-Tampa Listings at single location getting suspended immediately after entering verification codes Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Hammer No longer getting any verification options but postcard since covid All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
lincolnchan Branded KW Getting Outranked By Competitor... but neither should have GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Local Search 1
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Rasmus Himmelstrup UTM parameters on the GMB website button keeps getting removed Multi-Location Issues 2
S Is there a way to get an RSS feed of GMB posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter No YOU get in there Admin Stuff 0
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6
M Can an Attorney Lease Space from a Pizza Shop and Get Verified/Approved? Multi-Location Issues 4
djbaxter What SEOs get wrong about Google updates Google Algorithm Discussions 0
Peter Hill How to get through to Bing support? Citations 9
H Main Hospital Listing Getting Filtered Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4