Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Screenshot-2015-08-11-15.05.03.png

Image Credit: Mike Ramsey, click image to see explanation​

Yesterday we looked at a click through study and some heat maps showing where users click in the new Local 3 Pack - by Casey Meraz.

Last night I discovered Mike Ramsey from Nifty Marketing did another CTR study with heap maps.

Mike's study included shots/analysis of both desktop and mobile results for attorney and storage unit queries. He even did a heat map for the new sponsored home service packs in San Francisco.

5 Revealing New Local Pack Click Through Rate Studies

When changes happen I like to run whatever tests I can to understand the effects. While these click through rate studies don’t represent every search phrase, they sure do give us some interesting things to think about. For each of these we asked 100 individuals a variation of the following question:

“Pretend you needed an (industry) in (location). On a (Desktop/mobile device) you searched for “(Google Search Phrase)” and got the following search result. What listing, result, or option would you click/touch on next?”

Click through (pun intended) and check out Mike's heat maps and click through analysis.

THANKS MIKE! Great information!

In case you missed it, here is the thread about Casey's click through study.
<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/35624-new-3-pack-click-test-study-see-where-potential-visitors-clicking.html">New 3 Pack Click Test Study! See where potential visitors are clicking</a>

See some correlation between the 2 studies?
They both scream loud and clear - organic is the place to be!

Besides the fact that organic rules again, does anything else jump out at you???
<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

Screenshot-2015-08-11-15.05.03.png

HurricaneK8

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing :) I was wondering how the new layout would change the heat map.
Thanks to Casey and Mike for doing the tests too.

How many people are seeing the top local 3-pack websites also being the top organic websites? I used to see it consistantly, but am seeing more yellowpages/kijiji/directory listings take the top organic spots now. Sometimes the 3-pack winners arn't on the first page organic at all.

iFuse

Reaction score
What I see more than anything is the increasing need to ensure your client/business is diverse in its online marketing strategy. If you have all of your marketing dollars and new client strategy only on GMB rankings, then you may be in trouble.

You really need a good blend of SEO, PPC, Social, Reputation, Directories, etc. An integrated approach will always be the best strategy, IMO.

Nevyana

Reaction score
Great study and I agree with Mike that the studied sample should be bigger as to draw major conclusions, but the key point still applies here - there is a rise of the CTR on ads, the question is: are there verticals that will only be slightly affected by the latest SERPs reorganization or the impact will be significant.

My favorite part of his observations: "Getting into the top 7 was hard. 3 is a freaking joke. Yet again, organic first, local pack second."

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Testing local pack rankings as if searched from another neighborhood of the city Local Search 6
Linda Buquet NO Reviews or Stars In The New Local 3 Pack - Yet Another Google Test? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Another Local SERP Display Change or Test - Reported by Colan Today Google My Business & Google Maps 12
R G+ Local for Chiropractor, his clinic and another doctor who works there Recycle Bin 3
Eric Rohrback Google Local Page Layout - Another Test or Update? Google My Business & Google Maps 39
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
A GSC request indexing feature is currently disabled. Is there another option to request indexing? Organic SEO 1
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
Tim Colling How to find the email address of another User on a GMB listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Nikki Stine One SAB purchases another SAB, has reviews on both GMBs - possible to merge? Service Area Businesses 2
P Existing location is from another brand Google Duplicates & Merges 2
djbaxter Another option? Update your cancelled or postponed events with Schema Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Shelly Opinions wanted: Answering Q&A on another GMB panel (within a different category) as a business in the same town Google My Business & Google Maps 8
M Another Map shake up? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
JaredCaraway Another business is using my client's name - best course of action? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
LauraUK Recovering reviews that have been ported to another listing- help Local Reviews 3
Jen Currier Can Facebook Reviews be moved from one Company Page to another? Local Reviews 2
M Sharing the Exact Same Address As Another GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
rhowe If you have a physical location for one brand, but open another ecommerce store, can you set up a GMB listing? Service Area Businesses 7
georgebizpro Redirect https domain to another https website Organic SEO 11
Zhivko Location within another location Google My Business & Google Maps 7
djbaxter Davis tried to register another account Mod Squad 0
Ross Barefoot Another returning prodigal Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 5
H HVAC company bought another company - keep website open? Local Search 5
djbaxter Another long weekend in Canada Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
HangTenSEO Another Call Tracking Setup Question Citations 2
G My GMB is not in the first page another company is alone in the right page of search Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Another Business Using Client's Domain On Twitter Mobile & Social 2
H ANOTHER G+ page merging post! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Caroline How to advise clients with a SAB that ranking in another location takes time! Consultant's Corner 4
L Another Multi-Location SAB Question... Service Area Businesses 5
LloydDobbler Another Multi-Location SAB Question... Service Area Businesses 5
R Citation Strategy For When One Company Buys another Business? Citations 10
JoyHawkins Another Huge Article Exposing Spam Tactics on Google Maps - Connected to Scientology Google My Business & Google Maps 13
P Google no longer shows ads on right side, adds another ad spot to the top of the SERP Local Search 1
L Booking dot com claiming a businesses listing on another directory Local Search 4
Linda Buquet 7 Pack Spotted - Another Display Change: Reviews Gone and TONS More Local Search 0
Margaret Ornsby Another reason to update your business hours Local Search 2
L Homepage ranking for one location - how to expand to another city? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google My Business Locations (Bulk Upload) Gets Another Update Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ganch0 Address in another city? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
MichaelW Another business sharing same details Help & Support for Google Local 8
Rich Owings Yet another duplicate G+ pages issue Help & Support for Google Local 4
jvaquino Happy New Year! Time to write down another new year resolution! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
Margaret Ornsby Another post-pigeon plunder summarisation by AimClear Consultant's Corner 3
Colan Nielsen Google Testing Another G+ Page Layout? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Margaret Ornsby Another Mike Blumenthal Interview recording Google My Business & Google Maps 1