consultant

Reaction score
It's widely accepted that it's good to include structured data on your pages (Organization and LocalBusiness schema type.) I'm not arguing against doing that but does anyone have any concrete evidence it's a significant signal for Google's Local Search algorithm?

Reason I ask is I searched for some organization and local business records of websites I know have had the markup for some time and none of them are returned via the Google KnowledgeGraph search API.

Google APIs Explorer

How could Google factor in something it isn't apparently storing?

consultant

Reaction score
The example in that article of Google showing "Rich Results" is for a person type, not an Organization or a LocalBusiness type. I think the statement though about "future proofing" though is spot-on, meaning they might not be using it now, but they may later.

For local businesses, I've only seen Google display their GMB info instead of the LocalBusiness Knowledge Graph Rich Results. So really there's still no concrete evidence (at least that I've seen) so far that indicates Google is storing and using Organization and LocalBusiness schema data, unless their Knowledge Graph Search API isn't searching all Knowledge Graph data they have stored.

I DO see apparently RIch Results for like Pepsico. I tried to think of a famous non-National company and for some reason, Oprah Windfrey's favorite fried chicken place, Ezell's, came to mind as I think that's a Seattle business. And Rich Results for that business came up. For Pepsi it displays "Food Company" and Ezells "Fast Food Company" but a search of either website turns up no schema markup indicating Google is getting its Rich Results from a source other than the company's website.

So the question remains, is Google even storing the structured data from websites with types Organization or LocalBusiness?? Don't seen any evidence they are.

Last edited:

Tiggerito

Reaction score
Structured Data on sites and the knowledge graph are not very connected at the moment, so I would not be surprised if the API does not show any entities from Structured Data.

Off the top of my head. You can mark up sameAs for some social pages in an Organisation and that can be embedded in the knowledge panel.

The local business listing in the knowledge panel is also not part of the knowledge graph. It's a custom panel generated by GMB itself. And the above social markup does not apply to them. I think Google currently recommends marking up Local Business opening hours, which implies that info may flow across to the GMB panels. But then why not directly add it to the listing.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Multi Fake GMB listings. What evidence is best to send to support my case(s) in redressal form? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Investing in shares true payment evidence Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Restaurant owner calls negative reviews 'blackmail' with video evidence Local Reviews 1
F Yelp warns its users - AND shows evidence Marketing 11
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 How Should I Structure Suite Numbers with a New Office? Moving or Name Changes 1
djbaxter Schema.org vs. Google's Structured Data Rich Results Organic SEO 0
D How to properly form site structure for power washing company that serves 10 towns? Local Search 6
Ben Walsh Is this still the ideal site structure for multi location businesses Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Andrew Scherer Google's Structured Data Testing Tool axed... Bing's Alternative Local Search 1
P Is this hierarchy structure correct? Organic SEO 1
djbaxter Google reminder: Structured Data Does Not Impact Ranking Organic SEO 0
Gsmithmike SEO-Friendly URL Structure (Website Hierarchy) Organic SEO 4
J 2 Locations | Site Structure | Local Business Google Local 101 12
Gsmithmike Best URL Structure For Huge eCommerce Website Organic SEO 1
kieran.reid What deliverables for structuring a LocalSEO campaign? Consultant's Corner 2
S Site structure for network of locations Local Search 5
JoyHawkins New Structured Data Penalty for Reviews? Local Reviews 13
djbaxter Google: Structured Data Isn't A Ranking Factor But Can Help Rankings Organic SEO 3
A How to structure Local service? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
JoyHawkins What URL Structure to Use for Local SEO Organic SEO 22
dsteiner Proper Page Structure for Multi-Location Lawyers? Local Search 6
J Questions about NAP and URL structure Local Search 3
S Are Schema And Structured Data Markup Needed For Local SEO? Local Search 13
O Structured Data Markup Local Search 9
E Structured data for a company with 2 or more branches Local Search 6
1 Site Structure Question Local Search 11
S How to structure site content for a business with one physical address but other area Local Search 3
E 2 Questions about structured data Local Search 4
M Need Help with Local Url Structure Local Search 16
T Nav structure & breadcrumbs for location pages Multi-Location Issues 2
Tim Colling Nav structure & breadcrumbs for location pages Multi-Location Issues 2
mborgelt A Guide for Schema Markup and Structured Data Local Search 0
Dustybones URL Structure Tips From Gary Illyes Local Search 6
carltonrsmith Has anyone ever worked out a cost-per-lead structure with a local client? Consultant's Corner 5
K Change of URL in Google My Business due to change of organic URL structure. Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Gsmithmike What is the best URL Structure practice? Local Search 3
djbaxter Google: New Structured Data Testing Tool and Improved Documentation Local SEO Tools & Software 9
Ben Walsh Dupe Onsite Service structure for maximum effect in local Recycle Bin 0
Amber Robinson New Google Maps URL Structure - Local Penalty Hack? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet 3 Free Site Crawlers - Site Structure Matters for Local SEO Too! Organic SEO 3
P One Page Websites vs standard structure Website Local Search 13
Linda Buquet Google Upgrades Rich Snippet Structured Data Testing Tool Local SEO Tools & Software 0
I Is there an uptick in keyword planner data being excluded for healthcare related terms? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
B Compare/Contrast different GMB location's data? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Zhanna Which tracker shows correct data? Massive drop down in rankings in one of the trackers Help & Support for Google Local 3
H GMB - Dashboard data analysis longer than a quarter NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Nicole Basham How early can you pull data on GMB Insights? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
john wieber Mobile Local SERPS Location Data in Result Local Search 5
K Insight Data Stops June 22nd? Google My Business & Google Maps 1