Laustin1878

Reaction score
Had an interesting issue arise recently where the people I'm working with were advised by some of their customers that the directions from their "Maps" was sending them to the wrong town. The numerical did exist on the same street but it was a different town several miles away. It happened enough to where people complained. Not everyone found the correct address which resulted in lost business.

I checked a myriad of sources trying to pin point where the incorrect issue was coming from and it pointed to iPhone users using the iOS Maps program. Tracing it back a little further it seems that a lot of their information is being piped in from TomTom. Every single instance where this business is listed has the correct address including the town. Nowhere on the internet has this business ever been listed using the town that the directions keep pointing to.

With the amount of people using iPhones these days, it may be worth checking and verifying that your client's business is listed properly and their customers are getting the correct directions. Very isolated issue from what I can see but i'm still struggling to see how this information can be incorrect when it's not listed that way anywhere on the web.

Nyagoslav

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
It might be an issue with the Apple Maps search algorithm instead of a basic data problem. It might be easier to investigate if I knew the exact situation (the correct address, and the one people were sent to).

As a side note, Apple Maps receive business data from a number of sources, including (for the US, because I presume the issue is related to a US business):

TomTom
Yelp
Localeze
Acxiom
Factual

Cheers,
Nyagoslav

Laustin1878

Reaction score
Good to see you posting Nyagoslav. Thank you for sharing some of the additional sources. I did notice that there are several sources that are provided to Maps but these other sources all have accurate information from what I saw.

I don't see how it can be wrong. It's an entirely different town albeit, up to 1 mile away. Just curious, how do you think this can be an algorithm issue? Would you mind elaborating a little bit on this?

There has to be incorrect data somewhere and by process of elimination, I'm thought it was TomTom. The wrong town only shows up in Apple Maps. Places and Bing have it correct also.

Laustin1878

Reaction score
Sorry guys, this is a U.S. based business. I know Maps had their problems with directions but their maps are showing an address that has no affiliation in any way, shape or form with the business. I started looking at it and told the client to put a small disclaimer on their Contact Us page about the directions from this source in hopes that it could eventually be resolved.

brentnau

Reaction score
I am having a client with the same issue. The pin location is showing down the road at their competitor's location. I have have gone through reporting it from Apple Maps and I have checked the data directories. Any other ideas to get this fixed? Is their an official Apple Maps support forum?

Laustin1878

Reaction score
I have not been able to resolve the issue yet. There are quite a few sources that feed data to Apple Maps. I've doubled back and checked a number of them, sent corrections to TomTom and still no luck.

I can't seem to find it at the moment but I will keep looking and repost when I find the list of sources that provide data to Apple Maps. Double check Yelp, TomTom along with the list Nyagoslav posted to start.

Laustin1878

Reaction score
Thanks for the list. The list I had found was from Apple itself. I can't recall if they included additional information as to which information is provided or not. I could have sworn I bookmarked the page.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BWrightTLM Apple Maps Address is Wrong Local Search 13
L Apple Maps With Call Tracking Number On Website Citations 4
PaulSteinbrueck Apple Maps requiring verification every login? Local Search 3
Eoghan_MFeed Does anybody have any idea how many users Apple Maps actually has? Local Search 0
CraigJMount Mobility Reports- Apple Maps & Google Maps Local Search 2
Chaddow Changes to Apple Maps data sources what will this mean ? Local Search 2
A Apple Maps misspellings Citations 6
Scott Rawlins Issues with Apple Maps Phone Verification Local Search 16
djbaxter Apple Maps: Verifying and SABs Service Area Businesses 5
Marissa Apple Maps Traffic in Google Analytics Citations 27
Rich Owings Apple Maps is so slow to correct errors Local Search 3
dlee325 Apple Maps erroneously marking businesses as Closed - Anyone else have this issue? Local Search 4
J Crawling Apple Maps Connect? Citations 3
Phil Rozek New Apple Maps subdirectory? Local Search 3
wilfredorojas Re: Apple Maps now has public webpages for some landmarks & POI Recycle Bin 0
Margaret Ornsby Apple Maps now has public webpages for some landmarks & POI Local Search 1
BrendanT How are you managing Apple Maps Connect across a bunch of clients? Consultant's Corner 7
Tim Sweeney Apple Maps Categories Local Search 1
C Apple Maps Connect - No Hide Address Option Local Search 5
JoshuaMackens Apple Maps - Indexable Listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B Citation Building - Include Bing Places & Apple Maps? Citations 1
T Where does Apple Maps get its data from? Local Search 7
DanLeibson Apple Maps Launches Self Service Listing Portal Local Search 24
Chris McCreery YP.ca Apple Maps Hi-jacked Listings Local Search 0
johncrenshaw Change Apple Maps Marker Location Local Search 1
David Fesler Australia Police discourage use of Apple Maps Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
Linda Buquet Wow - Google Maps has Team of Over 7000 - Apple is Hiring Up Local Search 1
Local Search News Curator Apple Maps: What It Means For Local Search Local Search 14
Colan Nielsen NEW Free Apple Listing Management For Brands With 20+ Locations LSF News and Announcements 0
O Apple Business Register Stuck in Pending Organic SEO 2
Lluc Apple Business Register Feedback And Recommendations Local Search 16
j_holtslander "Suggest an edit" = "Apple My Business"?! Local Search 1
T WTS New Apple iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB-$350, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000, Nokia N950 Recycle Bin 0
T Buy Brand New Apple Iphone 5 64GB, Nokia Lumnia 920, Samsung Galaxy S3 Unlocked Recycle Bin 0
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
Cherie Dickey Something funny going on in Google Maps... am I missing something? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
G Internet marketing company and map listings? Help & Support for Google Local 4
F Google Maps Citation confusion? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Jim Froling Different Maps Results Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B Removed address to SAB now no longer showing in map pack Service Area Businesses 8
cleverlyengaged Advice on Landmarks/POI/Unclaimed Google Map Locations? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JamesGreenaway Map pin showing competitor and also direction issues Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
R Map pin and get directions discrepancy Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6