More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
From Apple Maps:

Verification

To be able to submit a profile to us, you must be able to answer the business' telephone number. As part of verification, an automated service will call the number and read out a PIN code that you must successfully retype into our website.

Using an email address that matches the business' website will speed up approval (eg. www.apple.com and you@apple.com).

Your update will be reviewed and verified before being posted. Updates deemed not suitable for Apple Maps may not be approved for any reason at our sole discretion.

Two questions:

1. My clients are often low tech, to say the least. It seems the only method offered is a phone call with a PIN number, which I fear will confuse some of them. Is there really no other way?

2. Does Apple Maps even accept SABs?

When I tried to list my company, this is what happened:

Maps Connect

Your Business Profile Updates Were Not Approved

We were unable to verify your edits to ****************************************
Unfortunately, our automated system was unable to approve your edits. If you believe that we have made a mistake, please reply to this email and request a manual review. One of our team members will then review your profile and notify you of our decision.

I replied to them asking why it was not approved since my info was all correct, and they replied:
Thank you for your interest in listing your business in Apple Maps.

We have verified that the required details are correct, however, although we appreciate your submission, we are unable to honor your request because Maps Connect only accepts businesses with a retail storefront or commercial location that Maps users can visit during business hours and reasonably expect to receive on-site services from staff.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience that this policy may cause you.

Should your business ever transition to meet our listing requirements, please reply to this email with a photo that shows the outside of your business, including the business sign and surrounding area. You may also include a photo of the building directory that shows your business listing and address. Building directories are typically found at the entrance of an office building and list all businesses operating inside it.

Should you have any additional questions, please let us know by replying to this email.

1. My clients are often low tech, to say the least. It seems the only method offered is a phone call with a PIN number, which I fear will confuse some of them. Is there really no other way?

That's it as far as I know. Here is what I generally do:
  • Use their Apple account or my own
  • Set up a time for the call
  • At the set time, I call them myself first to explain the process and ask them to immediately email, text or call me with the PIN. I also instruct them to let me know if the phone doesn't ring within a couple of minutes.
  • Hangup and click to start the call
  • Wait for the PIN

2. Does Apple Maps even accept SABs?

Not without a storefront, but they can show up by having a Yelp listing.

Thanks, @Wirenut and @Rich Owings

It seems Apple still has a long way to go. But my concern was with potential customers who have iPhone and never add Google Maps or even Google Search. I was hoping Apple Maps would fill that gap but it appears not for SABs.

It's pretty crappy that great service contractors can't be on Apple stuff if they don't have a storefront. Back when I was an employee I worked for some very large companies that didn't have a storefront, just warehouse and yard space.

Not without a storefront, but they can show up by having a Yelp listing.
I'm going to have to take that back. That used to be the case, but I checked Apple Maps and searches for electrician and plumber are now only showing businesses with addresses. As far as I know, this is a relatively recent change.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom