Reaction score
Was wondering what people thought on this, does it make a difference if a business has a lot of citations before a places or G+ page is created, or is creating citations after the page is created just as good?

Obviously it will take some time to index all of the citaitions, but assuming all things are equal do you think G likes to see mentions of the business before the page is created?

Reaction score
Is this a brand new business that has yet to be listed?

From my experience, which is clients that are already listed on a few citation sites, I have learned to focus less on the amount of citation sites they are on and more on making sure the data provided is consistent across the Internet.

IF I do get lucky and we land a client that completely lacks an online presence then I think I would start with Google first in hopes of avoiding G creating a listing herself after she sees that there is a new listing out there.

Reaction score
This doesn't really apply to a SMB type situation, just sort of a hypothetical I was wondering about. i.e if all citations were done properly and aged for 6 months to a year would the listing move up the rankings faster. You made a very good point about the danger of a scraped listing being created however.

Reaction score
Gotcha!

From my understanding those citations help Google to know that you are who you say you are and the chances of appearing higher in the results increase. But I have seen listings with very little citation action rank at the top of the 7-pack:confused:

Nick.SEOSpark

Reaction score
Hmmm - Very good question!

I have heard that it is better to have built citations before setting up the G+ Local page, however, it's a tricky one. Like already said, it's good to get that listing claimed early as it takes time to build up trust. I personally claim it and make sure that the information is correct (where it is) before building lots more.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Law Practice Buyout and Existing Citations Citations 4
Scott Rawlins Update Existing Citations or Create New? Citations 8
J New client with existing spam Moving or Name Changes 7
valentinb13 No support follow up on getting access to/ownership of existing listings Help & Support for Google Local 2
K I Need Guidance on How to Handle a Law Practice Buyout & Existing GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
E BING - Claiming existing listings causes a DUPE? Citations 3
P Existing location is from another brand Google Duplicates & Merges 2
Noelle Leahy When to add a new location to the existing website and when to start a second website Google Local 101 7
Rich Owings How to tell if a Factual listing exists? Citations 4
Conor Treacy Report Business "Doesn't Exist" - does it work? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
L Which is easier to rank? Claim existing listing or create new listing? Ranking Puzzles 2
ganapathy How to Update New Business Address in Existing GMB listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Proper Way To Remove Address of Pre-existing Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
marcusdb GMB duplicate marked as "Place Doesn't Exist" - can you recover the deleted listing? Google Duplicates & Merges 2
S SEO - New Cities - Build on existing page or new URL Organic SEO 9
WAHamilton Category that competitor is using doesn't exist...? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 23
N How to remove weird location that doesn't exist? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Conor Treacy GMB Comparison Tool (& Facebook too) - Does it exist any more? Local SEO Tools & Software 1
P Bulk Verification with existing unverified GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Garrett Sussman 10 Amazon Review Features That Should Exist On Every Review Site Local Reviews 3
J Merging Existing GMB accounts/pages Google My Business & Google Maps 6
MiriamEllis Does Google 'My Places' Still Exist? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
R Claim Existing GMB listing vs Edit in Google Maps/Mapmaker, then claim? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
G Does Anyone Know If Something Like This Exists?... Local Search 4
Dustybones Local Directories See Drop - Opportunities Still Exist though Citations 1
F Relocated label still exist? Moving or Name Changes 3
freerunr Relocated label still exist? Moving or Name Changes 3
djbaxter Convert Existing HTML Site Design To A WordPress Theme In 10 Seconds Websites, Software, and Security 5
K Duplicate listing. I see it, but Google says it doesn't exist. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Lloyd Silver How To Handle National Business With Existing G+ Page That Also Markets Locally Google My Business & Google Maps 5
seoWest Category Does Not Exist Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Replacing an existing domain from a Google Places Account Help & Support for Google Local 3
L How to claim a pre existing listing and edit it Google My Business & Google Maps 1
T Google+ Local Bulk Upload Merge with already existing listings? Local Search 11
Linda Buquet New Google Dashboard Rolling out to Existing Places Accounts Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Marie Ysais How to move rankings up on older existing content, SEOMOZ whiteboard Friday. Local Search 0
Chris McCreery Claim Existing Listing or Create New? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K Dentist bought existing practice - name and phone number change - questions Moving or Name Changes 5
KungFuBacklinks Dentist bought existing practice - name and phone number change - questions Moving or Name Changes 5
R Creating a G+ Business Page when a G+ Local Page Already Exists Google My Business & Google Maps 8
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Elmer .S What is the most accurate search strings to use when doing manual citation audit? Citations 3
JohnnyM Changing Information in citations Google Local 101 1
DragonXD SEMrush and citation service in Denmark NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
JoshuaMackens Insurance Citation Sites Local Search 5
sixthcitysarah What citation sites would you say are still important in 2020? Citations 10
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Looking for Italian citations services Citations 7