Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
In our Consultant's Corner at our Local Search Pros Community Nick Lees asked:

Are the days of $2,000+/month clients over?

G R E A T discussion followed!

Here are a few choice snippets, since Google won't let me embed a post from my own community.

Nick asked:

I've found more and more potential Local clients are expecting very inexpensive SEO. In fact, it seems that the $400 and below price range is the price range most clients expect...across a range of industries...even in competitive niches. Business owners are getting cold-called all-day long by big "SEO" churn factories that are offering super-cheap SEO.

Now you and I know that at those price levels, good results can't be brought. Especially since those prices include Sales commissions, administrative and office costs, managerial costs, etc...that we smaller guys don't have to deal with. They barely have a budget left over to buy the Moz Local data aggregator package....

Thoughts? 

Tony Leary said:

For this reason, I've stopped putting "SEO" in my marketing material (need to clean up my website too). Instead I label myself "local search consultant".

Joy Hawkins replied:

I am not sure I agree that everyone needs an expensive package. Most of our clients pay $399-799 a month and we are able to get good results with that. 

Then later Joy goes on to explain how they can keep their fees so reasonable. They only focus on doing what the client needs, not full service cookie cutter campaigns.
HEAD OVER TO READ - really good stuff!

Linda said:

Yes Nick those bottom feeder telemarketers make it hard I bet. Back when I was still doing SEO for Dentists I charged 3500. My strategy was to find a niche and become the expert in that niche.

When you don't have to cold call and people are referred to you because you've built up a rep in a specific industry and when all your case studies and success stories are in that same niche, you can command a higher price and the perceived value of understanding that industry so well.

That's how I started when I was new in the biz. In 4 months I built to an income higher than most Dentists make. That was doing everything myself with no cold calling or advertising.
Here's a post that explains a little about my strategy and in my training I go into much more detail:

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/consultants-corner/1213-jumpstart-your-local-search-consulting-business-list-leading-smb-forums.html">Jumpstart Your Local Search Consulting Business </a>

However that was 4 years ago. I realize it's a little harder today to sell at a decent price point today, but If I started doing SEO again, I'm not sure my price would change. It's much harder to rank now than it was then. BUT there isn't as much wasted time fighting bugs and dupes either.

Head over to read the rest. TONS of great insights from the Pros!

What do you think? How do you compete on price?

What's your strategy?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R 250 000 only FRESH & FAST available every day proxies Recycle Bin 0
Barb Davids Jump in analytics for one day Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Google Posts No Longer Expire After Seven Days Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
L GMB Manager, two new accounts suspended on one day Google My Business & Google Maps 3
F HELP Competitor leaves FIFTEEN 1-star reviews in a matter of days Google My Business & Google Maps 17
abbiebeltran Facebook 90 Day Integration Policy Local Reviews 1
MarianoF GMB Listing Suspended, reinstated after 6 days, Suspended again and reinstated 3 days. Local Search 4
MarianoF Google had reinstated my listing after six days suspension but my listing is not showing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Zero-Day Vulnerability in ThemeREX Addons Plugin Websites, Software, and Security 0
K Help Needed 30 days unpublished business profile Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Cordell Crowley 3-Day Change of Ownership for a Google Maps listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Tim Colling Tools to upload multiple photos to GMB, one or two per day? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Ian Hammond "Your business is verified and is currently being connected to Google Search and Maps" (30+ days) Help & Support for Google Local 3
Jeffrey Probably the simplest question of the day Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Tim Colling Someone trying to change GMB location name, EVERY DAY Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Tim Colling Redressal form ID 2-4776000025852 - no action after 24 days Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Does Google penalize you for using the Event post hack to get your post to last more than 7 days? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Simon Cox Someone added Special Hours for the busiest day of the year and set it to closed... Google My Business & Google Maps 6
L Significant google algo change in the last few days? Organic SEO 4
djbaxter Google S-Day: Chrome browser v68 released, warns about non-HTTPS sites Organic SEO 4
Linda Buquet Happy 4th of July Independence Day Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
djbaxter Happy Canada Day 2018! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 4
J Do local reciprocal backlinks do any good these days? Local Search 5
Linda Buquet New GMB update shows "Views over past 28 days" on Dashboard home page Google My Business & Google Maps 0
SmallBizGeek Google Posts last longer than 7 days(?) Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google Posts Expire In 7 Days Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tim Colling A bad day: when both BrightLocal and Join.me have outages during client calls Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 7
A Lost more than 20 verified Google business pages for one day ! Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Get Google+ Local URL These Days? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Tim Colling BrightLocal Local Ranking reports useless for past two days Recycle Bin 2
Travis Van Slooten How Long Does It Take for New Google+ Pages to Go Live These Days? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
djbaxter Happy Canada Day 2015 to all our Canadian Members! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
djbaxter WordPress CartPress Plugin Zero Day Disclosure Websites, Software, and Security 0
O Pigeon Rotates My Google Local Ranking by Time of Day Local Search 2
Linda Buquet "Local" Independence Day - Happy 4th of July! What are you Doing? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 6
Linda Buquet Happy Father's Day Local Search Dads! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
Dustybones Take 5 minutes each day to work on Local SEO Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Happy Mother's Day Local Search Moms! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
B Self Review Penalty? Three self reviews flagged, now all sites down 35% in 30 days. Local Reviews 6
Adamk Sometimes I need to start my day with this... Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
J Valentines' day SEO Funny (Building Links & Breaking Hearts) Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 9
djbaxter David unexpectedly down for a couple of days Mod Squad 22
Linda Buquet "Local" Independence Day - Happy 4th of July Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 4
djbaxter Happy Memorial Day Weekend, Locallers! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
Linda Buquet Happy Mother's Day to all the Local Search Moms Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 4
djbaxter April Fool's Day Bing(nam) Style Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
J Happy April Fool's Day from Google Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 4
Travis Van Slooten Google Calls Client 6 Times in One Day To Verify Location - What? Local Search 7
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5