david.victor

Reaction score
I have a client who's map listing, on Google Maps, lists the category as "delivery", even though they are a bicycle store, and they are correctly categorized as such.

I've updated their GMB listing and removed the attribute, since it wasn't that important to the business, and in the hopes that it will jiggle the machine enough to have them display the primary category instead of yet another attribute.

Has anyone seen this before?

david.victor

Reaction score
Here it is -- GMB Helpdesk was finally able to resolve this one. Just a weird thing. Thanks, Colan!

argh-delivery.jpg

WilliamA

Reaction score
Yes, we have seen this. The category that shows on the Google maps by default is not always the primary category. In the search result page it can show the non primary category based on the search term used. On the individual business page though it is usually correct.

To show case this with an example. I searched for 'teeth whitening in Atlanta' and see this particular business marked below. It is called 'Dentistry for Midtown'. You see the that value given is 'Teeth Whitening' service. The orange shaded values are the categories obtained with GMB Everywhere chrome browser extension.
1618896792616.png

Now for the same business, on the business page the screenshot is given below. You see the category is shown as Dentist.
1618896712028.png

So, according to the search term, the categories maps shows below the business can change.

As you can see in image 1 above, the GMB Everywhere chrome browser extension is going to still give the primary business below on the search result page too. This way you can still find primary category on search result page. We are still testing the search page result now, we should be live with feature for the extension from next week. If you have the GMB Everywhere chrome browser extension it should automatically update next week. In the meantime, it shows the value on the individual business page.

Hope this helps :) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks @WilliamA ! That's an awesome tip. I think David is saying that the label on the map was pulling from the GMB attributes, not the secondary categories. So this is a bit different than what you described.

david.victor

Reaction score
No worries, good knowledge anyway!

FYI, my problem was actually showing *without* any search applied. Just going to maps.google.com and drilling down on the precise location. It was about a "default" a situation as can be had! ;-)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Greg Bernhardt Attribution for product clicks in GMB panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
TriciaClements Veteran-Led Attribute Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Review attributes gone missing Local Reviews 1
C Add attributes that aren't given as an option? Google My Business & Google Maps 13
Lluc Health & Safety attributes for hotels displaying on mobile Google My Business & Google Maps 1
hajnasiewicz New attributes NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Colan Nielsen GMB Attribute Badges Now Visible on Desktop Local Search 11
lincolnchan Attribution Links in Clients' Footers Organic SEO 7
abbiebeltran COVID-19 Testing Center Attributes on GMB Listings Local Search 3
M GMB Attributes NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
SEO_CarGuy GMB Restaurant Dine-in Attribute getting changed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
abbiebeltran Define Service Options Attribute - Online Appointments NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Paul Lappage Do you need to have specific User permissions to update the Attributes? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Mike Yem GMB Attributes Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
LocalSEOLondon 100% Owner Controlled Attributes Relative GMB Ranking Factor Opinion poll (April 2020) Google Algorithm Discussions 5
BrandonSchmidt Positive Attributes appearing in Google Reviews? Local Reviews 3
K How to attribute PAID MAP Ads vs a ORGANIC MAP / GMB traffic Google My Business & Google Maps 12
M Google My Business (GMB) Attributes Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins New Discounts User-Contributed Attribute in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Monica Simpson Veteran-Led Attribute in GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 7
JSammon512 Local Search Ads - Lead Source Attribution Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
djbaxter Google changes link rel attributes: nofollow, sponsored, ugc, now hints not directives Organic SEO 1
S Would it be appropriate to apply the schema attribute Trip to my site? Multi-Location Issues 2
I Attribution for GMB Website Clicks? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Phil Rozek 24-hour attribute for ERs in 3-pack: new? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Patrick Garde Google My Business Adds Family Led Attribute / Icon Google My Business & Google Maps 11
J GMB Issue (Circular Attribute Updates) Google My Business & Google Maps 0
B New LGBTQ GMB Attributes? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
jvaquino Add Attributes on GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 2
elwalker Anyone know how to add attributes? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
David Deering NEW: Automatic Authorship Attribution for WordPress & Google+ Embedded Posts Google My Business & Google Maps 3
m_j_gregory Can A 'noindex' Tag Attribute To Google Account Suspension? Help & Support for Google Local 5
T Any way to stop a competitor from doing this? Using Fake Reviews in Mass Recycle Bin 5
P What system do you use to manage your Agency (CRM/Project Management/Accounting/etc)? Websites, Software, and Security 1
MuneebRahmani Accidentally used other brand name in my GMB listing Moving or Name Changes 1
J Can one 360/VT be used for multiple GMB profiles? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H Site using links in Schema? Local Search 3
Annika Neudecker Should you use more than 5 GMB categories? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
K Correct use of schema Google My Business & Google Maps 2
walkities Multi Location Using Same Phone Number? Local Search 2
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
Elmer .S What is the most accurate search strings to use when doing manual citation audit? Citations 7
Ellen Looking for live example of website using Place Photos Google My Business & Google Maps 5
M Can I Use Google Voice for Google My Business Phone Number? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Wary Goose Anyone used the Business Banking Service GMB Category in the U.S. yet? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
bczubiak Dental website using W E O Media Template Website.. ditch it and build a new one? Local Search 1
Kayla Adam What Strategy Should Been Used for My Wellness Clinic Local Search 5
K New local business using stock photos for portfolio Local Content 5