More threads by mikepcservice

Reaction score
Ok guys, I can use your guidance with this please if you won;t mind?

So I want to setup a new site's pages structure for the local pages, using Construction services as an example, under the Services tab, I will add subpages "sheet rocking, flooring, ceilings, walls". For Flooring, I am thinking of adding 4 sub pages "flooring bronx, flooring queens, flooring Manhattan, flooring Brooklyn" to cover each of the Boroughs in New York. I will then do the same for each of the individual services mentioned.

My first questions to you guys, is this a good idea [strategy] to reach people everywhere in New York and if not then what else should I try?
If it is a good idea, regarding the content optimization, nothing else to do but to rewrite the main Flooring page's content only changing the Borough name in each of the 4 subpages, is this correct?

@Colan [and everyone else too]
If you should see this. In last discussion of this, you had mentioned trying like "Five Towns" as the locator in the kw or narrowing down to Lawrence or Valley Stream e.t.c. Since Long Island is divided into 2 "counties" Nassau and Suffolk but since my GMB is Queens, NY is there any strategy to reach all residents of LI please?

Hey Mike, we actually work with a business in NYC that has built out pages for each borough, and those pages rank and drive a significant amount of traffic and conversions. So yep, I like that strategy :)

Hey guys, how many times is it recommended to have the focus keyphrase in headings and subheadings? I am working on a page and Yoast is showing:

Keyphrase in subheading: More than 75% of your H2 and H3 subheadings reflect the topic of your copy. That's too much. Don't over-optimize!

I have the key phrase in 3 headings, one h1 and two h3, is that really too much?

Yoast and similar SEO tools are only to be used as a guide. If it sounds spammy, it is. If it doesn't sound spammy, then leave it as is.

We have some posts that fail Yoast/RankMath calculations - I can't recall ANY post we've made in the past few years that has reached a 100% score.

But for guidance on this particular question, on a 1000 word post, we would usually have the target in our heading, and usually 2 or more H2/H3 tags. We'd usually have 4 or 5 H2/H3 tags within the post.

Got it, thanks! I was trying my hand at writing my own post for testing the post.

BTW guys, if you might remember I had inquired short while back about a cheap option for content writing for testing purposes.

On Reddit, I was contacted by a writer from Kenya, she wrote a few posts for me for under $10 each and I must say I am very impressed with her. She writes just as good as my US writer who has been writing for me for over there years now for my local client.

If any of you might have need for her writing services, you can pm me and I will link you to her, she follows every instruction to the letter and is a really nice and competent person to work with.

Regarding using the kw's on location pages guys, do you see anything wrong with a focus kw like "roofing contractor queens" expanding the region such as

roofing contractor queens NYC 11420

or does it need to be only "roofing contractor queens" for any reason please?

Here is an example of how much business I am getting from my locations pages for one of my clients:

1637096947353.jpg

this is 90 days for my client - not bad if you ask me!

I always make sure that I do not have identical (similar, but not identical) content on each locations page. If possible, add local information to each page so it really varies it up. When I build a SAB site, I actually design a "neighborhoods" page that has tons of cool content and infographics as well as ways to get to other pages like galleries, contact, other services, and inventory pages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks but my main question on the focus kw with location as shown

I am double checking here to see if I can use it that way so I can get three kw's from it:

roofing contractor queens
roofing contractor nyc
roofing contractor 11420

would that work or would I need to drop the NYC and 11420 for any reason please?

Thanks but my main question on the focus kw with location as shown

I am double checking here to see if I can use it that way so I can get three kw's from it:

roofing contractor queens
roofing contractor nyc
roofing contractor 11420

would that work or would I need to drop the NYC and 11420 for any reason please?

zips are not needed. I like putting a service area on the home page and then have the locations pages hyperlinked to those.

Hey Mike,

The short answer is yes, you can add multiple phrases. Google will give a little priority boost if the words are beside each other, but they're also smart enough to not need them beside each other. In many cases you can just include the words on the page and Google will figure out themselves how to rank it.

But, in answer to the question, could you put 5 words and Google picks up on 2 words, skips a word then picks up another - yes, they can do that without an issue.

And to re-iterate what @rutkap said, the zipcodes are not a required thing to add. There's very few searches these days that people are entering a zipcode into the search, most people go with just a City name.

zips are not needed. I like putting a service area on the home page and then have the locations pages hyperlinked to those.
Thanks, yeah that makes sense. I have seen some marketers put every zip code in an area on their pages is why I am asking.

Hey Mike,

And to re-iterate what @rutkap said, the zipcodes are not a required thing to add. There's very few searches these days that people are entering a zipcode into the search, most people go with just a City name.

Got it, thanks

BTW Conor, I forgot to tell you that when I was researching and comparing some of the top SEO companies on google looking for ideas, I noticed that your site's Contact page's content in particular is by far THE BEST I have seen to date!

I must be honest and confess to you, I had thought of rewriting your content for my sites but decided it might not be right so I left it alone :) but I sure wish I could write like that.

BTW Conor, I forgot to tell you that when I was researching and comparing some of the top SEO companies on google looking for ideas, I noticed that your site's Contact page's content in particular is by far THE BEST I have seen to date!
Ha! Glad you enjoyed it. The content on our site is pretty much who we are in life, and comes across the same in our 150+ "Facebook lives" and YouTube Videos. Informative enough to say "we do this" and restrictive enough to not say "let us do this for you".

SEO in particular is one of those things that we don't sell. We have buyers that contact us, but we don't like selling on why someone needs X.

That content needs a rewrite as I think that was last updated when we had other staff as I see "team" mentioned a few times. We clearly stand behind the "we are not an agency" mantra. We are two people that love what we do.

Thanks for the compliments! If the content inspires something in your business, have at it, just remember all the other content needs to be written in the same tone too or it will seem out of place :)

SEO in particular is one of those things that we don't sell. We have buyers that contact us, but we don't like selling on why someone needs X.

That content needs a rewrite as I think that was last updated when we had other staff as I see "team" mentioned a few times. We clearly stand behind the "we are not an agency" mantra. We are two people that love what we do.

Thanks for the compliments! If the content inspires something in your business, have at it, just remember all the other content needs to be written in the same tone too or it will seem out of place

Can you tell me why you don't like selling on why someone needs your services please?

Yes I like the "we are not an Agency" idea so I clearly state that.

To clarify you mean, I can copy and rewrite the content on your Contact page?

Here is an example of a landing page that I built (I can share as the company has been sold and I no longer do work for them)

(Looking now at this, I would want this to be /neighborhood/creve-coeur-pest-control/ We built this site and I found out he was selling shortly after. I should have caught this before it went live

This site used to have a "were in your neighborhood" or "neighborhoods we serve" section.

here is a less pretty one but still effective...

1637160421062.jpg

Thanks. Nice Title and Description. Right so my plan is similar, using like "Queens, NY" but since people can use NY, New York and NYC, I am thinking of using them all on each location page so one heading kw with NY, one with NYC and one with New York, all on the same page, would this work please or would I need to be consistent so only one of those three in all three headings?

Also, I was thinking of doing something like the Neighborhoods we serve too but is that used only on one page or on all pages?

yeah, semantic search helps here. Queens, Queens, NY and Queens NYC will all pretty much be viewed as the same thing.

I sometimes like going with splitting up my headings.

H2: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling Service
H3: Serving Queens, NY and surrounding Neighborhoods

Thanks but do you use the Neighborhoods layout and info only on one specific page on your site or on multiple or every page please?

Thanks but do you use the Neighborhoods layout and info only on one specific page on your site or on multiple or every page please?

I use a WP layout for my neighborhood pages.. It looks different and set up different than just a normal service page.

You don't have to do it, but if you design the site with this in mind it looks very nice.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom