I have not seen a discussion here in the forum on the latest regarding NAP, use of 800/toll-free number vs. local numbers. I’m looking for guidance on how to properly address these with a client who’s expanding by the acquisition of existing businesses. Although the client provides services at customers’ locations, having a digital brick-and-mortar presence is important to them. What is the best way to handle the following to help with preserving and improving local SEO ranking:
- The website currently has an 800 toll-free number. An overview location page will be created to add each of the various client locations along with local numbers generated by their CRM for call tracking purposes. Should the NAP for each location be updated to reflect what’s on the website? Note that the local call tracking number is generated by the CRM - so I’m assuming as long as they stick with their CRM vendor they won’t lose the numbers? Or there is a way for them to port these numbers and retain ownership of them? Should they lose these numbers, I would hate to have the need to update all the NAPs across the web.
- For the various GBPs is it okay to have a local number, but also include the 800# as an additional number? Would this mean the NAP for this client location
- Are there any latest studies showing the pros and cons of using 800/toll-free vs. local numbers?
- Existing GBPs - There will be a name change and maybe likely a phone number change. Will this cause verification delay doing both changes? Is it okay to have a local number, but also include the 800# as an additional number? Would this mean the NAP for this client's location should include both the local and 800# if possible? Would you advise the same strategy to other profile sites like Yelp, where a company can have multiple business listings?
- Would doing a local citation update be helpful? Should the updates just be done with key profiles/listings/directories? Should I be going after new local citations?
- As the client acquires new businesses, the plan is to redirect/forward the acquired company’s domain to the client domain. Do you see SEO benefit in doing this? Should the client continue to renew these domains?