Reaction score
Buying a Reputation: The Pitfalls of Black Hat Review Marketing

Black_Hat_Review_Marketing.jpg

Buying a Reputation: The Pitfalls of Black Hat Review Marketing

Let’s face facts: running a business is far from easy. Local business owners could use all the help they can get. Managing employees, keeping customers happy all while trying to stay profitable…the day-to-day tasks that keep a business afloat can be draining (to put it mildly).

Damage control matters, but there are plenty of local business owners that understand how important it is to focus on the future as well. Surviving is nice, but thriving is just about every local business owner​’s endgame. Understanding that the average business owner appreciates tangible advice, you might give them some tactics they can use to get more online reviews.

For example:

• Requesting a review promptly after a sale
  • Following up requests via email
  • Being transparent on digital/social media and ask for constructive feedback

At the end of the day, discussing online marketing with local business owners typically comes down to setting realistic expectations. Growth is absolutely going to happen, but it’s unlikely that it’ll be at breakneck speeds. So, when a firm that specializes in ‘Reputation Management’ claims that they can help them become an online authority overnight, it’s no surprise that some of your potential clients might be tempted to take advantage of that offer.

Read the full post here.

Do clients ever ask you to perform Black Hat Review Marketing techniques like buying fake reviews? How do you respond?

Have any of your clients ever been the victim of another company flooding their review listings with negative reviews? How did you handle that?

Black_Hat_Review_Marketing.jpg

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Another awesome Grade.us post Garrett. Thanks for sharing with our readers.

I like the way the author, after covering the downfalls of blackhat reviews, covers
The Future of Review Management and offers some positive solutions!

Hey guys... thoughts? Anything to add?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
sixthcitysarah Advice for Dental Office Buying Closed Practice? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
S Buying reviews, is this a real thing? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
mikepetersonwi Business #1 buys Business #2 Moving or Name Changes 1
P How to Estimate the Cost of GMB listing when selling/buying a business Local Search 5
I Cheap Hyzaar, Where To Buy Hyzaar No Prescription Recycle Bin 0
Rich Owings Attorney buys and renames bankruptcy practice; loses GMB listing after 2 years of reviews Moving or Name Changes 10
Justin Mosebach GrubHub is buying web domains for the restaurants it lists Websites, Software, and Security 1
L Client Buys retiring Competitor url Organic SEO 6
Garrett Sussman How To Get Business Owner Buy-in For Online Review Management Local Reviews 2
Q Competitor Using Our Name & Buying Fake Reviews... Help & Support for Google Local 1
M bitcoin buy sell Recycle Bin 0
M buy bitcoin Recycle Bin 0
M buy bitcoin credit card Recycle Bin 0
I Who is buying stocks online Recycle Bin 0
I how to buy shares in stock market Recycle Bin 0
mborgelt Google Turning Their Attention to Buying Expired Domains Organic SEO 2
R Citation Strategy For When One Company Buys another Business? Citations 10
Margaret Ornsby Facebook wants you to buy movie tickets and order pizza from its app Local Search 1
James Watt SEO considerations when buying a multi-location business Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H Buying Business listings Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Journalist Creates Fake Company & Buys Amazing Rep to Out the Underbelly of ORM Local Reviews 3
HurricaneK8 "Google to Buy Satellite Service Skybox for $500 Million to Improve Maps" Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet It's Official: Google Buys Waze for a Billion to Enhance Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
T Buy Brand New Apple Iphone 5 64GB, Nokia Lumnia 920, Samsung Galaxy S3 Unlocked Recycle Bin 0
C buy generic finasteride 1951 Recycle Bin 0
Chandra What is the state of reputation management in SEO and marketing? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
Caroline Reputation Management Local Reviews 2
Chad Fake, Negative Reviews & Reputation Management - A Personal Experience Recycle Bin 0
Ben Walsh Reputable White Hat Backlink Providers Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
E Reputation Reviews When Relocating Moving or Name Changes 4
Yan Gilbert Free Webinar: How to Sell and Deliver Reputation Management to Clients Events 0
rosie.brightlocal New BrightLocal data: Online Reputation Management Survey Local Reviews 2
vivekrpatel Online Reputation & Google My Business Page Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Reviews & Reputation Management ▶ Martin Shervington & Jon Hall from Grade.us Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman 5 Tips to Strengthen Your Reputation Management Strategy and Boost Your SEO Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman 6 Ways To Boost Your Client?s Online Reputation Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman The Best Candidates for Reputation Management Are Those Who Don't "Need" It Local Reviews 10
Garrett Sussman When Agencies should say No to Reputation Management Clients Local Reviews 4
P Local SEO Reputation Management - Time to Remove Those Bad Reviews Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Online Reputation Damage Control - ORM Negative Review Repair Local Reviews 4
P New To Local Search - Reputation Management Company Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 7
Ajay Prasad Don't Just Manage Your Reputation?Improve it Local Reviews 1
Linda Buquet Local Reviews & Reputation Mini Roundup - Start the New Year Off Right! Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet Tons of Gold Nuggets about Reviews & Reputation Building for Local Consultants Local Reviews 0
Linda Buquet Online Reputation Nightmare Clean Up Using SEO - 9 Tips from Chris Silver Smith Local Reviews 1
S Reputation App - Easily Sell To Your Clients/Offer As Part Of Your Services Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Local Reviews & Reputation Management Survey 2014 Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet Google Launches New Review Monitoring, Reputation Management Module Local Reviews 28
L Reviews & Reputation Management... Local Reviews 1