More threads by obcted

obcted

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've searched the board but didn't see this asked before. I'm a former legal marketer who now runs a lead tracking company (Call tracking/form tracking/chat/sms). We're seeing a more and more client/agencies use Static Call Tracking Numbers in the "Primary Phone" Field in GMB and using the actual business line in the "Additional Phone" field. I'm very well aware that this "violates" NAP consistency but also know that what google "Says" isn't always what the google algorithm "DO".

We HAVE NOT seen any data to suggest Calls decline when a client uses a call tracking number in their GMB "Primary Phone" field but wanted to ask the community if anyone HAS seen a decline in Local Ranks when using a Static Call Tracking line in GMB?

So the question is this: Do you/your agency use GMB tracking numbers? How has it affected your local ranks?

Thank you :)

Ted

Last edited:
Hi Ted,

Using a call tracking number as your GMB primary number and putting the real number in the additional number field has been recommended best practice for a couple years.

Since you’ve added the real number to the listing as well, there are no NAP consistency concerns.

My company took it a step further and added the website tracking number as the last and final alternative number. We track the GMB calls and website calls separately. I haven’t had any sissies since making the switch. To echo Darren, it has been a best practice for years. I learned this at a LocalU Santa Monica event. It was either Darren or Joy Hawkins that presented this fact.

Great article on this topic Darren. On a side note I've been a long time fan of whitespark and have been recommending it for years :)

I thought this was ok - glad to know it's considered "Best Practices". I'll probably be linking/send over your article to a few agencies who are hesitant to go this route. Thanks!

What system do you use/suggest for call tracking numbers?

Thank you in advance!

We have been using CallRail tracking and analytics for phone calls and web forms.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom