More threads by Mike Pedersen

Reaction score
I'm asking this because I have a client site that is no where to be found for his homepage and my SEO guy is stumped.

One issue was google was showing the mobile site higher in the rankings than the main one. Very strange.

My SEO guy has gone over and over this and he can't figure out why my client isn't at least on the first 2 pages, as the term is not terribly competitive, and I've loaded the site with great content AND videos. Way more than any of his competitors.

Chime in anyone.

Mike

Re: Can you rank for google local AND first page organic?

Mike, the answer to your question in the post title is yes.

Can't help with specific issues unless links are provided.

That confirmed what I already thought, but unfortunately I can't expose my client in here. Bummer, as I'm sure with all the great "heads" in here, there would be some solid conclusions I'm guessing.

I wish you guys would say Places, Maps... or something other than "local."

To answer your question, you can absolutely rank #1 in places and organically. Nowhere near enough details about your situation... do you guys know where sit on the trustrank scale, age, etc....?

National branded site attempting to rank an inner page for a city? Or entirely geo focused site?

Rank a parasite in the meantime... Get inbound leads now, and squeeze competitors out of the market later. Win Win.

Well, I thought it was Google Places now called Google+ Local.

Anyways rank for Google+ Local business listing (7 pack) and organic.

Geo focused site.

To answer your question, you can absolutely rank #1 in places and organically. Nowhere near enough details about your situation... do you guys know where sit on the trustrank scale, age, etc....?

National branded site attempting to rank an inner page for a city? Or entirely geo focused site?

Rank a parasite in the meantime... Get inbound leads now, and squeeze competitors out of the market later. Win Win.

The answer to the question is yes. But I have seen more often the home page ranking in G+ local and an interior page of the same website ranking on the first page in organic. Are you trying to rank an interior page or the home page?

Homepage for both.

The answer to the question is yes. But I have seen more often the home page ranking in G+ local and an interior page of the same website ranking on the first page in organic. Are you trying to rank an interior page or the home page?

I hear you Matt. But hey, don't hate the playa's, hate the game. Google has made the naming game somewhat of a cluster#$%^.

LOL, the way things are at the moment, whatever answer you give to any question, Google will show a rogue listing that disproves your expert opinion somewhere!

Hi Marie,

I just heard from another G+ expert the same thing you stated.

That you can rank for the homepage for one of the listings (either G+Local or organic), but the other first page ranking will not be the same URL, for example the homepage.

Does this sound correct?

Meaning, google will not ranking the homepage URL for both G+ Local (Maps) AND organic.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
Yes, that is exactly what I am seeing with all of my clients. The change for my clients started about a year ago. It has slowly trickled to every client.
I can no longer rank the homepage in Google+ and in organic. The home page will rank as high as the second page and then stop.

I can however rank the homepage in Google+ and then rank an interior page in the top organic spots.
I used to have the home page with a double ranking and that has shifted for me.

I can't find any instance of an interior page ranking in top 7 on first page.

This is so interesting to me.

So no matter how good we "seo" our clients sites, there is no way to get homepage URL in organic and local listing. Interesting.

So what are the rest of you doing with your clients? Please chime in. Are you creating an interior page that has been designed to provide great content and a strong call to action?

I believe all pages should have this, but just curious what other consultants are doing.

Thanks!

Yup, I've had some interior pages rank on the front page ahead of my G+ listing.

Still testing how well it works to have the G+ page linked to the interior page so that the home page can rank.

Obviously in competitive niches, that's not always the best way forward.

But if the home page is ranking on the front page and you then work on the G+ page to get that onto the front page, the client is never happy at losing their organic front page listing.

So, for me, it's a better strategy.

As I stated earlier, I have not come across a G+Local Listing in 7-pack that is pointing to an interior page.

Google sure loves making it tough for businesses to now rank in their much needed local listing AND organically. And...god forbid, feel they have to run google ads as well.

Pretty good setup for google wouldn't you say? I say BS!

Yup, I've had some interior pages rank on the front page ahead of my G+ listing.

Still testing how well it works to have the G+ page linked to the interior page so that the home page can rank.

Obviously in competitive niches, that's not always the best way forward.

But if the home page is ranking on the front page and you then work on the G+ page to get that onto the front page, the client is never happy at losing their organic front page listing.

So, for me, it's a better strategy.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom