More threads by DeanTH

DeanTH

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a franchise that I work with that has been open for 2 years. They are looking to change their DBA name, which means we would be making changes on their site and URL as well. They currently rank for about 900 keywords with over 600 on the first page of Google.

In Google's eyes would this be seen as a new business? and what kind of hit are we looking at from an organic and SEO perspective? We do PPC and local service ads but I think that would be OK, more so worried about organic.

On the local pack side of things, rankings would likely improve if the DBA has any keywords in it.

On the organic side of things, anytime you change your URL you can experience a temporary drop in traffic and rankings but it should pick back up if the migration is done properly.

Hi there! Actually, changing the name doesn’t affect your search ranking much. We’ve changed our company’s name, and we noticed only a slight traffic drop. Btw, sometimes you can even benefit by changing the company’s name. Still, I recommend you ask your local seo service providers for help.

Actually, changing the name doesn’t affect your search ranking much.
It depends on some different factors for sure. For instance, if everyone in a competitive market already has the kw's in the name, the impact of adding them would be less.

I would recommend updating your social and website first with the new name then your Google business profile.

Agree with @Colan Nielsen, that it could "depend" on competition, industry and several other factors. However, when we take on a new client we do a pretty deep dive on their competitor's GBP, websites and their use of keywords in their name. Very often we are recommending to our new clients to use a DBA with keywords, which often is a combination of their brand recognized name along with keywords, such as industry, city, state or locality. Our experience has shown a marked increase, especially with GBP placement using smart/natural use of keywords. It may not be an instant gratification, like most other white-hat SEO strategies, but it can really help. This is one of the only legitimate and effective ways to combat the use of competitor's use of keyword stuffed GBP names and hopefully Google will start penalizing those businesses that don't have legitimate standing to use an alternate DBA or Assumed Name.

Hi there! Actually, changing the name doesn’t affect your search ranking much. We’ve changed our company’s name, and we noticed only a slight traffic drop. Btw, sometimes you can even benefit by changing the company’s name. Still, I recommend you ask your local seo service providers for help.
Actually, rebranding is always a good thing to do, especially when you feel your company needs that. All you should do is ask the right people for advice, so don’t miss that opportunity. Best wishes to you all!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom