NinjaNonsense

Reaction score
Hey I had another specific example that I wanted to get your input on.

I know some business offer multiple services / sell products that may not all be related to one another. Which is why I started that thread of mine. Thanks again for the input on that btw. But I wanted to ask about Google My Business Categories. I good example of a store that sells multiple types of items and does a lot of different services would be pawn shops. Others too like Department Stores (walmart, etc), Thrift Shops, Goodwills, pretty much any store that sells multiple types of items that may not be related and or has multiple services that may not be related.

Say for example someone is looking for a used lawn mower, so "used lawn mowers near me" would be something they'd search for.

When i do this though, I don't see any pawn shops, only businesses from the "Lawn Mower Store" category. However "pawn shop lawn mowers" yields a few pawn shops, but mainly still shops from the "Lawn Mower Store" category. The pawnshops I see, dont mention "lawn mower" anywhere on their site. So I'm thinking that's why they only popped up (barley) for the keyword "pawn shop lawn mowers" and not "used lawn mowers near me". Only because "pawns shop" is in the name.

Since I'd want my make believe pawn shop to rank for as many local terms as possible related to my services / items im selling, would it be advised to put down "Lawn Mower Store" as a sub category on my Business Categories? Pawn Shop would obviously be the primary one. But "Lawn Mower Store" seems like a good one to help rank for related terms of the niche.

But that leads me to this next part. What about all the other services / items that I'd sell and want to rank for? Google says only to list categories that accurately describe the business, not what it would sell. But a pawnshop can offer more than just pawning/loan services, and sell other types of items too. Obviously i don't think it be feasible to list all the categories for each different type (or at least the main ones I'd want to rank for). So would just building landing pages focused on those terms be good enough to pop up in the local pack? I've seen local map results feature snippets that say "this website mentions: [keyword]" - so I'd like to believe if listing all the different sub categories is not advised, then just making landing pages targeting the local terms should be good and do the job just fine.

Been studying about local seo again lately and all these scenarios and questions keep coming up. So I'm glad I found this site.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Building out service pages is the first step, as you alluded to. So you would want to have a page targeting "Used Lawn Mowers".

As far as the GMB categories goes I would test it out. Add the new category and measure the impact. If it's a positive impact, keep the category. If it's not, ditch it.

We work with a lawn care business who does Christmas lights installation in the winter months. During the winter we add "Christmas Shop" and another category related to installing lights and it seems to help with their ranking for things like "Christmas Lights Installation".

NinjaNonsense

Reaction score
Building out service pages is the first step, as you alluded to. So you would want to have a page targeting "Used Lawn Mowers".

As far as the GMB categories goes I would test it out. Add the new category and measure the impact. If it's a positive impact, keep the category. If it's not, ditch it.

We work with a lawn care business who does Christmas lights installation in the winter months. During the winter we add "Christmas Shop" and another category related to installing lights and it seems to help with their ranking for things like "Christmas Lights Installation".

Gotcha. Seems like the educated guessing / common sense i keep falling back on looks to be correct lol. I just keep thinking that Google might see that as "confusing" if a shop were to list all the related categories that goes with product they sell / services that they offer. Many different niches and what not.

But logically, a lot of authority websites that cover multiple niches work in the same similar fashion so it would make sense to do so.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
Gsmithmike Which Tool Will You Choose To Keep? Local SEO Tools & Software 3
Rich Owings New "Choose area" feature? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Oliver Keates What GMB Categories To Choose in 2019? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M How to know which kw's best to choose for blog? Local Search 13
H I need help choosing a service... Citations 11
Garrett Sussman Local Search vs. Universal Search: Are You Choosing the Wrong Strategy? Local Reviews 0
macdonjo How to choose a category when a business is so massive? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling Choosing which number to use for Yelp listings Local Search 7
JoyHawkins Discussion: How Do You Choose Which Keywords to Target on the Homepage? Local Search 17
G Is it safe to get clients to choose Exact Match Domain for a new website? Local Search 7
A Multiple locations in GMB - only one result in Google search Multi-Location Issues 3
harmony Another Google Local Ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 11
V How to mark service area in Google Maps, GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
k.ivanova Google Maps - Base Maps vs Satellite view discrepancy Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Lluc Google showing large favicons/logos for "people also searched for" in the search bar auto-complete suggestions Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
J Duplicate listings on Google ( GMB Listings ) popping up a lot lately - listing being 'stolen' by someone else... Local Search 2
DangGood Missing Google Guaranteed Badge on Mobile only for one Category Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
C Google removing SAB's with no communication Service Area Businesses 3
M Google Maps Rankings are not Stable Google My Business & Google Maps 6
stankolev What is the maximum number of categories single Google My Business listing can have? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Chris Ratchford Google Ads- Local Pack- one GMB location only? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 7
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 2
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 5
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 9
JoyHawkins Google Testing 2-Packs on Mobile Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
Chris Ratchford Google Analytics - setting up goals for click-to-call Organic SEO 4
L Google ranking in Legal Field Organic SEO 1
Cherie Dickey Something funny going on in Google Maps... am I missing something? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
hajnasiewicz Google Marketing Kit: Create Video Local Content 3
S Google LSA Lead Board - How to manage? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
K Unable to get verified in Google for SAB Local Search 15
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
F Google Maps Citation confusion? Google My Business & Google Maps 3