Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

When you or your team are doing citation building and you come to a business directory that doesn't list your clients city in the dropdown, how are you dealing with that?

I've heard some people say they will choose the next closest city, or the major city that it's a suburb of.

I've also heard people suggest that it's best to skip these directories as there is a risk of disrupting the NAP profile throughout the web (I tend to agree with this).

Any thoughts?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I've also heard people suggest that it's best to skip these directories as there is a risk of disrupting the NAP profile throughout the web (I tend to agree with this).

You know me Colan, I'm not really an expert on citations, but would def agree with you here, for what it's worth.

Not only could using a different city mess up NAP but it could cause Google to create a dupe.

Broland

Reaction score
Generally just choose the closest larger city that is available. Then if you want, add the actually city in the address line 2 field if it allows.

As far as scraping and verifying NAP data, Google uses the longest matching prefix of an address, which I think rarely, if ever, includes the city. (also why different formats of suite numbers often don't come into play). That's for textual content, the city may of course have bearing on correctly displaying a map on certain sites.

Other than that I believe it is just important as a keyword, categorization on sites, and influencing title tags etc. Could make for an interesting case study.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N GMB listing not ranking for Brand Name + City Google My Business & Google Maps 13
liorenda Entering city name in GMB listing name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
D Putting the City Name in Dentist's GMB Listing Local Search 11
Linda Buquet Pigeon is Partial to City EMDs & PMDs - Every Single Pack Listing has City in Name Google My Business & Google Maps 18
Linda Buquet Thriving Post-Pigeon - Tale of 2 Listings that Rank #1 in the Next City Over Google My Business & Google Maps 14
L Site Wide Listing of Cities Local Search 7
A Best City to Use for NAP Listing NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 9
A Best City to Use for NAP Listing NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 9
M How to optimize the G+ local listing to main city when you have address in sub city Local Search 3
Travis Van Slooten Best Practice for Designating Service Area - By Miles Radius or Listing Cities? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Linda Buquet List of Official Google+ City Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 7
M G+ listing/map not being cross-referenced with cities beyond city of actual address Help & Support for Google Local 1
R Rank a Google Places Listing for 1 City in Surrounding Cities Local Search 6
KymM Where is this city info populating from? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J GMB Showing County Instead of City Google My Business & Google Maps 4
N 54 city pages for small business website Local Search 7
D Dynamic local city webpage to satisfy [search term] + "near me" queries Service Area Businesses 2
raellovepie Probably new? Serves *CITY* and nearby areas Google My Business & Google Maps 3
N Category in City NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
H Ranks better for (city name) than for near me . . .which means....? Organic SEO 3
Lanerizz Tale of Two Cities And A Client on the Border Moving or Name Changes 6
R Local City Service Pages Local Search 2
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Search Volumes for Every City or Region | How Can I Find Them? Local Search 10
J Branded Search shows Co Location but not G Maps search for city/location Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Barb Davids Are cities and zip codes in the footer still a thing? Local Search 2
TammyT Does city in business name increase local pack visibility Local Search 7
D Name of town/city in keyword phrase Recycle Bin 0
koji Name of town/city in keyword phrase Local Search 5
A “Cities served” page Local Search 3
Conor Treacy GMB Name + City/Area Served Multi-Location Issues 5
djbaxter Google: City Landing Pages Can Be Doorway Pages & Against Guidelines Local Search 11
dave101 Local City Page Examples Local Search 4
A Linking to city based landing pages Local Search 2
J Service areas (cities, zips) keep disappearing from info? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
M Are these doorway pages? multiple city and state pages? Local Search 11
D What are your tricks for ranking a SAB in other cities? Service Area Businesses 9
Ryan Steinolfson How many city pages can a website have? Local Search 7
S Getting backlinks to rank on a different city Recycle Bin 0
L How-to Set Up Social Accounts for Two-Locations In One-City Recycle Bin 0
abrandt QUESTION: City-specific / Hyper-specific Citation Software ??? Citations 17
D Getting backlinks to rank on a different city Organic SEO 5
pbarnhart Heads Up - Exact Match on Cities no longer exact. Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
Toy2004 Creating City Pages Local Search 10
ElaineSi Best Way to Rank for Nearby City Google Local 101 21
P Ranking Business in a Nearby City Help & Support for Google Local 7
Colan Nielsen [Missing Data Alert] Knowledge Panel Seems to Have Removed Physical City Data Local Search 9
G Adding location in a larger city Local Search 4
Sarah City vs. Suburb Map Pack Results Local Search 9
L Duplicate Content Issues on City Landing Pages Local Search 10
P Creating local city pages near to my branches advice Local Search 4