More threads by aaronb

aaronb

Reaction score
We had a potential marketing client reach out to us for advice/help with their GBP. It seems that they were with a prior marketing company and the GBP they had was suspended. That company was not able to get it reinstated for them and so they left and went to a new marketing company. That was suppose to "specialize" in GBP. That company created a listing that was very shortly suspended. They would get it reinstated and then it would be suspended again. Then they were told by the first company they would only be able to get control of their GBP is they changed their business name or came to back to them as a client. My question is, has anyone heard of similar situations before of one company holding a listing hostage basically? And what can be done about it? My thinking was that since they are not showing up anywhere on Google Maps, they could create a new GBP for themselves with the name and address that is registered to their states Sec of State, and then work to request access to any outstanding GBP's through Google if necessary. Any advice on this situation and tactics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If they have no relationship with the business, they should be handing over the data - as you said, failing to do that they're essentially trying to hold it hostage.

Have a look here: Business Profile third-party policy: Report a violation - Google Business Profile Help

You can file a complaint against and 3rd party for violations. I don't see an option for your specific situation but maybe the "other" field takes care of that?

I know that places like ICANN (Domain Registrar) would often release control to a business owner if they provided business documentation - useful in cases where an employee leaves a company. I'm sure Google has something similar, but I can't find the link.

I believe you would just attempt to claim the listing, the notice is sent to the current owner that would deny the access, then you would appeal and state your affiliation with the business (Business license, phone etc) and then Google would grant access. But I can't find that set of directions :(

If they have no relationship with the business, they should be handing over the data - as you said, failing to do that they're essentially trying to hold it hostage.

Have a look here: Business Profile third-party policy: Report a violation - Google Business Profile Help

You can file a complaint against and 3rd party for violations. I don't see an option for your specific situation but maybe the "other" field takes care of that?

I know that places like ICANN (Domain Registrar) would often release control to a business owner if they provided business documentation - useful in cases where an employee leaves a company. I'm sure Google has something similar, but I can't find the link.

I believe you would just attempt to claim the listing, the notice is sent to the current owner that would deny the access, then you would appeal and state your affiliation with the business (Business license, phone etc) and then Google would grant access. But I can't find that set of directions :(

Thanks Conor! That is great info.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom