More threads by Dustybones

And I would love someone to challenge Darren Shaws comments about how you have to send emails to customers or hand them a card that describes how to find your business naturally and then leave a review. Look it's very cumbersome. Review Handout Generator from Whitespark and Local Visibility System Why does he says this, because yelp, Google+ and others look at the referring IP address and count them as spam when they come from the same url. So a study of rankings on Google and internally on the review sites themselves when using a funnel page would be awesome.

Oh, I missed this part. When did I say that? :)

I mentioned it in my presentation at SearchFest last year, but if you just saw the slides then you would have missed my comment about that being a detail for the ultra paranoid. Google, Yelp, etc *could* be tracking refers and if they see that all the reviews are made from people that come through on the same referring URL, then they could look at that as a spam signal. I don't think they're doing that now, but they would have the historical data if they ever wanted to flip the switch. A page on your site that lists the places that people can review is a great idea, and currently, I wouldn't want to discourage people from making those pages.

Hey thanks. I guess some things are lost when you just read the slides. Darren sorry to make you look like villain. I think it's clear the review sites want natural reviews and it seems to me the referring url will be used by filters in the future.

@Jon

We've been testing different options and using one for about two years and are about to make a jump out of it. We have a couple of options we've used but encourage the reviewer to post over to the site of their choice if it is good, and back to the owner if not.
BTW I curate over on Scoop.it and have both your ebook and the article there.

We find mobile works well for reviews, it is easy for the customer/client and now with the update in the app from Yelp--more seem to stick. Yelp is not our fav due to the filtering issues and lack of CS to clients on the issues such as paying for competitive ads to not appear but showing them in the sidebar while collecting the monthly fee.

We've found that most business owners are challenged when it comes to being consistent since their business priorities don't often include the online marketing and reputation piece.

@ARKLady,

Thanks! Your Scoop.it page is a must-follow. Just great.

If you're still looking at different solutions, I'd love to give you a tour of ours. I think "the Grade.us way" will resonate with you based on your comments:

- Agreed that Yelp seems to prefer mobile traffic, perhaps because more unique device identifiers help vet the reviewer as a legit, local person.

- We made our review funnel pages mobile-optimized and encourage business owners to promote the short URL and QR code we provide with on-site fliers, signage, etc.

- But Google+ hides review writing from mobile users, so here's where having something like our just-in-time site instructions or Phil's handouts helps: We discourage mobile-users from trying to post on Google via mobile, saving everyone the frustration.

- Definitely agreed that Yelp is a difficult beast! But important nonetheless.

- And YES! on guiding customers to a service recovery, not review sites, if they had a bad experience. We have a few techniques for that, like this thumbs up/thumbs down funnel layout: http://grade.us/ahpizz

@ARKLady,

Thanks! Your Scoop.it page is a must-follow. Just great.

:) Thanks

If you're still looking at different solutions, I'd love to give you a tour of ours. I think "the Grade.us way" will resonate with you based on your comments:

Sure but I am in the middle of moving personally at the moment, unexpectedly. December or early January perhaps?

- But Google+ hides review writing from mobile users, so here's where having something like our just-in-time site instructions or Phil's handouts helps: We discourage mobile-users from trying to post on Google via mobile, saving everyone the frustration.

Don't know which is more fickle, Google or Yelp. LOL Overall we have seen a problem with the big G since the get go and target some of the review sites they tend to favor instead.

We have a few techniques for that, like this thumbs up/thumbs down funnel layout: Ah' Pizz | Write a Review

Nice and simple...

Look forward to chatting and glad to see you active in the forum.

Just discovered a new one (to me at least) that is getting rave review in the Dental space, but is not designed specifically for Dental. That's just where I learned about it.

Five Star Review System

LOVE the site! So if that's any indication of the quality of service, might be worth looking into. Seems pretty robust but I have not checked out in detail. Looks like it can incorporate offers (not review incentives) and can do site testimonials in addition to 3rd party reviews. He wants to give me demo, but I declined for now due to time constraints.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom