More threads by Adam Peterson

Adam Peterson

Reaction score
Hello Guys

i need your help please,

when we do a normal search Service+City, google shows compititor knowladge panel instaid of Mappack.

the word is "service+city" and the KD is low (22)
if i search for service+city the SERP shows only 1 result without a map pack, (it shows only the GMB panel of the competitor).

if i add "in" service+in+city the panel dissapear.

the competitor domain is "city+service+center"
my domain is "service+city"

i have done all the possible optimization with back links to the needed keywords, all going great except that word which google think its a brand.

Thanks in advanced :)

Hi Adam,

This is a tricky situation. You are 100% correct when you say that Google is incorrectly assuming that the discovery search is a branded search.

We have tested trying to break these one-boxes in the past and although there isn't a 100% reliable way to do so these were our conclusions.

Things that had a positive impact (should be done to try and break the one-box)

• Shortened the URL on the topic page to remove a folder
  • Added a Google Post about the topic. (didn’t impact ranking, did impact the way the SERP looked).
  • Removing spam
  • Keyword stuffing the business name
I'm happy to look closer if you can share the specific details.

Also, while unlikely, you may want to check the trademark office.

We have a local company that successfully trademarked "--------- SEO company" (---- being replaced with city name). In their case, it's also their business name, but if it wasn't, since it's a trademark, they take the KB anyway.

Not sure of the trademark rules in Sweden, but might be something else to check.

Hi Adam,

This is a tricky situation. You are 100% correct when you say that Google is incorrectly assuming that the discovery search is a branded search.

We have tested trying to break these one-boxes in the past and although there isn't a 100% reliable way to do so these were our conclusions.

Things that had a positive impact (should be done to try and break the one-box)

• Added a Google Post about the topic. (didn’t impact ranking, did impact the way the SERP looked).
  • Removing spam
  • Keyword stuffing the business name
I'm happy to look closer if you can share the specific details.

Hi Colan,
thank you so much for your detailed reply,

i didnt understand what you mean by:
  • Removing spam
yes he has the city and the service in his business name, i have tried to remove the city name and the panel removed, but whenver he added the city again things goes back to normal and he got the panel again.

have tried all possible way to make back link to that keyword, and optimized the GMB and business site around that keyword, been trying to make legit white hat only SEO and still no hope of removing that panel for the long term and show only the map back.

i cant share the client info here for his privacy.
but i really want to hear more from you and the experts here in the group if there is a work around, just to make the search fair

thanks again :)

Also, while unlikely, you may want to check the trademark office.

We have a local company that successfully trademarked "--------- SEO company" (---- being replaced with city name). In their case, it's also their business name, but if it wasn't, since it's a trademark, they take the KB anyway.

Not sure of the trademark rules in Sweden, but might be something else to check.

Hi Conor and thank you so much for reply,
i dont think the office cares much about GMB or search, as i have another compititor in the nich, ranking for the service he is not eligable to provide, we have file a notice 6 months ago to the office with no repond.

my business is service+city which is excatly the same kw that the compititor claim the GMB panel for.
the compitior tho has city+service+branch but he has been in business for a very long time.

as i mentiond before when i remove the city in GMB by suggest an edit, thing goes back to normal and the mapback shows again.
but its a temporary soultion and he alwys added the city name in his GMB again

Thanks again for reply :)

i didnt understand what you mean by:
  • Removing spam

Hi Adam,

In our experiment, we shortened the number of folders on the page on the website that was targeting the keyword that the one-box owned. And we reported the descriptors in the name of the biz that owned the one-box.

Hi Adam,

In our experiment, we shortened the number of folders on the page on the website that was targeting the keyword that the one-box owned. And we reported the descriptors in the name of the biz that owned the one-box.

Hi Colan,
in my case, i have my domain as the targeted excat service+city.

did that worked out for you and you were able to remove that panel by anychance ? and get the normal search with mappack ?

BR

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom