Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
I focus more on projects rather than monthly services. Some of my larger clients engage me for ongoing monthly projects, but some of those focus a lot on reporting and updated recommendations, and don't bring in that much ongoing revenue.

If I had a lot of monthly clients bringing in thousands per month, coming up with a conflict of interest policy would be fairly straightforward, but have any of you dealt with this on a project model?

We've got dozens of breweries in Asheville, and I'm starting to get somme traction with them, but this question is going to come up real soon (I'm talking to one brewery prospect today and another on Monday). Any suggestions?

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
@Rich Owings, if you mainly work on a one-time, per-project basis, I think you can keep it real simple: just make it clear to per-project clients that your conflict-of-interest policy consists of (1) your common sense, (2) your good nature, and (3) the assumption you might work with those people again longer-term. In other words, a pretty informal policy.

The alternatives are worse. Someone can "buy you out" by hiring you for a little work and expecting you never in your lifetime to work with anyone resembling a local competitor - according to his or her definitions. Or you have to get into the contractual weeds - like by defining words like "client" and "competitor" and "local." Not the best way to start off a relationship.

Until about 5 years ago I worked mostly on a per-project basis. Though I never had big problems, my conflict-of-interest policy wasn't very thought-out. Most of my work is for ongoing clients.

Keeping the ongoing clients from conflicting with one another isn't too tricky, and keeping the one-time clients from conflicting with one another also isn't tricky. Where I imagine it will get trickier is in keeping your ongoing clients from tangling with the one-time projects. Especially if most of your clients are local to you (i.e. in the Asheville area).

Last edited:

Margaret Ornsby

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Really appreciate the input from you @Phil Rozek .

I too have historically done one-time projects but finding a growing desire for ongoing monthly services. Maps spam may have something to do with that ;-)

I haven't found it difficult to juggle a perceived conflict of interest. If I have a monthly client in the same industry I check first the areas they service. Normally there isn't an overlap. If I do have an overlap of any kind, I let the new client know I'm already in that space with another business. I leave it to them to decide from there. Hasn't been a problem.

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
@Phil Rozek and @Margaret Ornsby thanks for the feedback. One thing I've been doing is offering exclusivity during the project contract period, with the option of extending it post-project with an ongoing services contract.

The brewery leads are going to make it interesting though. There are 41 breweries in the county, with more on their way.

I may end up saying I will only work for two concurrently. If they want to retain their exclusivity, they'll have to sign up for ongoing services. I'm not sure how to relay that without it sounding like extortion, but I can't take on a single project for a few thousand dollars and never work with anyone in that industry again.

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything unethical about working for two competitors in the same industry and same local area. The breweries in your area probably use a lot of the same vendors for equipment, ingredients, offline marketing, etc. So, it's really a matter of your personal preference and how you want to handle clients and prospective clients that may perceive it as an issue. You could charge more for exclusivity or not offer it at all.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Chris McCreery Conflict of Interest Consultant's Corner 13
Oliver Keates Possible conflict of building duplicate citations Citations 9
KevinWag Moz/Google My Business Conflict - SABs Local Search 2
Lee Alley Inconsistent & Conflicting Knowledge Panels in G Search Local Search 1
F Conflicting Phone Numbers on 2 GMBs Local Search 6
J Conflicted old location marker in Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet How to Avoid & Solve Local SEO Client Conflicts - For Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 0
L WARNING: Google+ Local Category KW Spam & Conflicting Guidelines NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 25
Linda Buquet WARNING: Google+ Local Category KW Spam & Conflicting Guidelines NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 25
djbaxter Interesting graphic on reach of social networks Mobile & Social 1
Zdenek Horak Interesting review: the owner sends an email and offers money Local Reviews 5
Blake Denman Interesting featured snippet above map pack Local Search 3
JoshuaMackens Interesting Client Drop - Google Maps Local Search 7
L Interesting Suspension Issue Local Search 3
H Plumber Near Me - Google trends interesting Local Search 1
rutkap Got an interesting "Wal-Mart" scenario Help & Support for Google Local 3
axeonlineblog Hi I'm Axe Colver, Interested in SEO Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 5
Rich Owings Interesting BBB stats Ranking Puzzles 5
freerunr Interesting Things in Local Finder: Question Mark and "Write a Review" Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
JoyHawkins "Interesting Finds" on Mobile Searches Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
Tim Colling "Correcting" categories - interesting corner case NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
J Interesting, Sneak Way of Trying to Game Multi Location Google My Business Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 6
T Interesting study of Google clustering results in Local Packs Local Search 1
mborgelt Interesting Google Local Study Based on Over 100,000 URLs Google My Business & Google Maps 2
pbarnhart "Explore" feature in new Google maps makes some interesting recommendations Google My Business & Google Maps 1
MarketingGiant New Local Tour / Points of Interest SERP Local Search 1
J Incorrect City for Google Points of Interest Carousel Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Dustybones 7 Hyperlocal Strategies You Can Take To Keep Readers Interested Local Search 2
Margaret Ornsby Here's an interesting view of the algo... Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet 4 New Pigeon Posts with Some Very Interesting Takeaways Google My Business & Google Maps 0
L Creating Sticky Interesting Content for Boring SMBs Local Content 0
Linda Buquet Creating Sticky Interesting Content for Boring SMBs Local Content 0
A Sex crime lawyer tampa - Interesting results Ranking Puzzles 4
Andrew Polanski Sex crime lawyer tampa - Interesting results Ranking Puzzles 4
JoshuaMackens Interesting Case Study - See If You Can Figure It Out Help & Support for Google Local 8
Phil Rozek Interesting paid Q&A site - Tuteable.com Consultant's Corner 0
M Interesting...Typing In Dentist + City in Local Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Interesting Google+ Local Penalty? Dropped out of Pack, but Still High in Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
G Interesting Problem with Verifying a G+Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Interesting Double Page 1 Google Local Ranking Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Research Shows Under-cover Google Employees are "Top Reviewers" - Interesting Local Reviews 0
H Interesting Search Results Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Z Interesting SERP Google My Business & Google Maps 6
T Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
Travis Van Slooten Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
C Google Reviews Posting / Not Posting - Interesting Find Help & Support for Google Local 11
m_j_gregory Interesting Shot - Places Dashboard Local Search 14
sixthcitysarah Can anyone recommend a Digital PR agency/freelancer? Local SEO Job Board 3
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
mikepetersonwi Products and Services for Insurance Agency NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1