Reaction score
Virginia woman is sued for $750,000 over her Yelp review | Mail Online

The comments left on the article are as interesting as the story itself. Should this contractor have sued? Will it help or hurt his business?

You would think there would be a policy in place where a business owner could request Yelp to remove a review if the review was a little "over the top" - instead of having to resort to suing someone.

Travis Van Slooten

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Whoa, crazy story Travis. Thanks for sharing it! And be careful what you say out there! :p

Reaction score
Interesting story. Too bad the reporting was lacking in what aspect of her review was found by the Court to be objectionable. My guess is she misrepresented facts (such as the info regarding the lein). Easy way to remain judgement free is to not be malicious in writing the Review and using as much personal opinion as possible!

Reaction score
Virginia woman is sued for $750,000 over her Yelp review | Mail Online

The comments left on the article are as interesting as the story itself. Should this contractor have sued? Will it help or hurt his business?

You would think there would be a policy in place where a business owner could request Yelp to remove a review if the review was a little "over the top" - instead of having to resort to suing someone.

Travis Van Slooten
Update on the Case - The Virginia Supreme Court weighed in on the preliminary injunction regarding the lower court's ordering the homeowner to revise part of her reviews and not post about ordering Perez to remove the parts of her review that the company's employees stole jewelry. The Virginia Supreme Court wrote:
Upon further consideration whereof, the Court also finds that the preliminary injunction was not justified and that the respondents have an adequate remedy at law

The Court basically found that the lawsuit against the woman by the development company could resolve the issue of the reviews. In the Consumerist article I read, the Court could only order the removal or modification of the reviews if her posts were found to be defamatory and/or libelous.

Reaction score
Andrew,
Thank you so much for posting a follow-up on this story. I agree with Travis' earlier comment that review entities should have a some type of system of arbitration that would enable a business owner to dispute a really bad review rather than going to court. I think the court acted fairly well in this, but what a waste of taxpayers' funding it would be if there were more cases like this.

Appreciate you pointing to the follow up.

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up on this. As more and more people leave reviews, I expect more and more lawsuits in the coming months. It's just too easy for customers to destroy a business' reputation. All they have to do is go on a negative review spree:(

Travis Van Slooten

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Adam C. Online Scheduling Recommendations - Contractors Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Matthew Summers If You Had 30 minutes to educate local contractors about GMB, what would you NOT say? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
WAHamilton Trying to Find Category for 'General Contractor' in Canada NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
JoyHawkins Local SEO Contractors Needed Local SEO Job Board 0
WAHamilton Need help selecting category 'Sunroom Contractor' NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
D GMB Page Suspended (Contractor w/ Physical Location) Google My Business & Google Maps 8
JoshuaMackens Contractor for Hire Consultant's Corner 0
H Plumber category changed to "mechanical contractor" Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Linda Buquet Contractors: Free Google Webinar on Digital Marketing for Home Services Local Search 2
Chris Ratchford Looking for a part-time contractor for SEO/ web work Recycle Bin 2
Linda Buquet Locksmith Sues Google for Millions for Spam/Fake Local Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 9
HurricaneK8 Court Rules Tycoon can sue Google over autocomplete results! Organic SEO 1
Chris Ratchford Client wants to sue Google for AdWords fraud Marketing 24
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
annatindal GMB Customer Uploaded Photos Question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
S 1-star review (not by customer) Can this be removed? Local Reviews 9
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Allows a Custom List of Services to GMB Listings Service Area Businesses 14
Claire Carlile No 'message you' data showing in Customer actions Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Custom Map Creation and Their Effects on Ranking Google Local 101 3
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
M Customer Journey Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 1
L Google now allows Site Owners to Customize the Search Results Snippets, but what can be customized? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
rickvidallon Adding Custom Services to GMB Service Area Businesses 9
rickvidallon Replying to Customer Reviews on GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 27
djbaxter Custom BBCode to force nofollow links Local Search Experts Forum 0
Chris Ratchford Anyone familiar w/ Advanced Custom Fields (for WordPress)? Consultant's Corner 6
Monica Simpson FB message for Customer service Citations 5
Ellen Organization Has GMB Listing but Serves No Customers Google My Business & Google Maps 4
JoshuaMackens Customer Heat Map Consultant's Corner 7
cleverlyengaged Multiple reviews from customers are not displaying on client's GMB profile. Nothing for 9 months. Local Reviews 6
Cordell Crowley New? Google Auto-Generating "Suggested Post" w/ Customer Review Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Customer requesting help with SEO optimization for "Customer Name" Keyword Ranking Google Local 101 9
R Free Webinar: How to Use Nextdoor to Reach Your Local Customers Events 0
Oliver Keates Should I be encouraging customers to leave a review on GMB Local Search 10
Garrett Sussman Turning Customers into Storytellers with Jay Baer Local Reviews 0
KevinJr LIKE your customers review? Local Reviews 4
JoyHawkins Do Custom Google Maps Help Ranking? Local Search 13
W Checking The Box "I Also Serve Customers At This Business Address" Service Area Businesses 15
John Vuong What is the lifetime value of a customer in Local SEO? Local Search 4
AllSearch52 Calculating the value of 3 pack rankings for customers with no website Local Search 1