More threads by KristiSimone

KristiSimone

Reaction score
I have noticed that a cookies pop-up has been showing on many websites I've been searching lately. Why is this trend happening? And, is this something we should be adding to our clients' websites?

Thanks!

I think mostly due to GDPR regulations that require websites to let users control data that the website is collecting about them.

There's also the California law to consider, and there's apparently a national law (USA) that has been introduced for consideration.

It's easy to do this with a number of free WordPress plugins.

I was talking with a lawyer close to the makers of the California law and supposedly the original writers are so uhappy with what came of the bill they submitted that they plan on completely scrapping it and come up with a new law in the next couple of months.

Meaning, everyone who made changes is going to have to go through the same steps a second time.

the original writers are so uhappy with what came of the bill

I can understand that, based on my own personal experience. A few years ago, the California legislature passed a law that regulates non-medical home care agencies in California. The law was at first based on language for which I was the original author. I thought that it would be a good thing and that it would protect the public.

Unfortunately, by the time the law was passed, special interests changed the law so much to favor labor unions that the end result was terrible. The new law does not protect the public nor workers.

The only winners were the labor unions, who gained huge new opportunities for labor unions to increase membership, and therefore dues revenue.

Moral of the story: in politics, especially in California, be careful of what you ask for.

giphy.gif

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom