Gary

Reaction score
Is it okay to use words like "best" in Google Places custom categories? Example would be "Best NYC Restaurant" since this is a high traffic keyword phrase with medium competition it seems wise to build around this keyword phrase.

I researched Google Places guidelines and found nothing stating you can't use the words like "Best". But in using this term one would be making a claim that truly can't be verified.

Any feedback on this matter would truly be appreciated.

Regards,
Gary

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for asking a great question.

No that would be a violation and a problem on a couple levels.

Google wants business categories to be standard business categories like you'd find in the yellow pages. They don't think of it as a place to stuff KWs but to better categorize the business.

They don't really like superlatives. Don't even allow them in Adwords, or at least didn't used to, have not checked lately. And I think even in description it can cause a problem if over the top and unprovable.

PLUS IMPORTANT "Best NYC Restaurant" has a major violation that OFTEN causes suspension.
Can't put city or any geo term in cats.

Cats can only be 'What your business IS" in a pure category sense.

David Deering

Reaction score
And you might already be aware of this tool, Gary, but Mike Blumenthal has a great Google Places category tool on his site to help you find and choose the best categories for your listing. Even though they are "custom" categories, you always need to be careful to follow Google's guidelines as to what is acceptable and what is not, as Linda emphasized. But I do think it is a good idea to use up all of the custom categories if possible and if it makes sense, to give Google and users a better understanding about what you do and perhaps create more opportunities to be found.

Cleaner44

Reaction score
I make it common practice to replicate Google's existing format for custom categories. I use words like Service, Contractor, Wholesaler, Store and Supplier when creating custom categories. I always figure it is best to stick with their formatting.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Google Allows a Custom List of Services to GMB Listings Service Area Businesses 14
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
L Google now allows Site Owners to Customize the Search Results Snippets, but what can be customized? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
Cordell Crowley New? Google Auto-Generating "Suggested Post" w/ Customer Review Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins Do Custom Google Maps Help Ranking? Local Search 13
Digitaldar Can Customers Change Their Google Review of a Business? Local Search 1
kbone Redirecting Customers to Google Rating/Review Box... Local Reviews 0
L What strategies do you use to increase customer reviews on your client's Google page? Local Reviews 8
Linda Buquet Google Polling Customers via the Maps App - Wonder if they'll display that data Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Say What? Google Says Don't add Review Markup to your Customer Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Linda Buquet Creating Custom Google Maps with Google Maps Engine Google My Business & Google Maps 10
A Now Missing - Customize & Preview Embedded Map in Google Classic Maps - Workaround Google My Business & Google Maps 56
ColoradoChris Any benefits from adding keywords to custom Google url? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Dustybones Free Custom Google Analytic's Reports and Dashboards Local SEO Tools & Software 4
L Google would object or detect incentivized reviews from actual customers? Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Google May Charge for Google+ Custom URLs - Invites Rolling Out Local Search 4
S Custom Google Plus Local Themes Terms Of Service Question Local Search 5
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
annatindal GMB Customer Uploaded Photos Question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
S 1-star review (not by customer) Can this be removed? Local Reviews 9
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
Claire Carlile No 'message you' data showing in Customer actions Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Custom Map Creation and Their Effects on Ranking Google Local 101 3
M Customer Journey Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 1
rickvidallon Adding Custom Services to GMB Service Area Businesses 9
rickvidallon Replying to Customer Reviews on GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 27
djbaxter Custom BBCode to force nofollow links Local Search Experts Forum 0
Chris Ratchford Anyone familiar w/ Advanced Custom Fields (for WordPress)? Consultant's Corner 6
Monica Simpson FB message for Customer service Citations 5
Ellen Organization Has GMB Listing but Serves No Customers Google My Business & Google Maps 4
JoshuaMackens Customer Heat Map Consultant's Corner 7
cleverlyengaged Multiple reviews from customers are not displaying on client's GMB profile. Nothing for 9 months. Local Reviews 6
J Customer requesting help with SEO optimization for "Customer Name" Keyword Ranking Google Local 101 9
R Free Webinar: How to Use Nextdoor to Reach Your Local Customers Events 0
Oliver Keates Should I be encouraging customers to leave a review on GMB Local Search 10
Garrett Sussman Turning Customers into Storytellers with Jay Baer Local Reviews 0
KevinJr LIKE your customers review? Local Reviews 4
W Checking The Box "I Also Serve Customers At This Business Address" Service Area Businesses 15
John Vuong What is the lifetime value of a customer in Local SEO? Local Search 4
AllSearch52 Calculating the value of 3 pack rankings for customers with no website Local Search 1
H Software to manage customer requests/Orders? Consultant's Corner 0