More threads by valesence

Reaction score
Going through brightlocal potential citation list Dexknows is a very valuable citation. Problem is that there is no way to add a listing through their website. After doing some research I found out that you can call them and give them your phone number and business name and email. They will follow up and send you an email with instructions on how to log into their site and set up the citation. I searched some old messages on here that mentioned the difficulty in that citation source and also the mention of requiring payment on the final step.

My experience: I called this number: 1-877-433-9249. I recieved the email back, logged in and filled out the information for the citation. Hopefully this information helps someone else that is having difficulty creating a citation in dexknows. And my citation is live at no cost.

Good to know. Did you give them YOUR phone number or the business number? Same with email.

I gave them nap phone number and the email I use for citations. They did not ask for address only city business was located in. Full nap was done after I logged into the site.

Nice info valesence!

My problem here is we don't have international phone lines that can use to call dexknows. Any other options on how I can add my clients business on that site?

Nice info valesence!

My problem here is we don't have international phone lines that can use to call dexknows. Any other options on how I can add my clients business on that site?

Skype or google voice could be used to call internationally. Keep in mind that they are only open business hours cst.

There is no way that I know of to get a citation on that site other than a phone call. they also ask if your the owner and I would say yes to avoid issues.

Also look into using Magic Jack. I use that when traveling and works great.

Nice info valesence!

Thanks, valesence. Dex is a PITA. Supposedly they source their info from ExpressUpdate, but I've had a couple where the ExpressUpdate info is OK (and had been for months) but Dex still had the wrong info. So I think the only recourse is what you describe.

Possibly this might work. Go to dexmedia.com On the upper right there is an opportunity to either sign in or get started. Go to My Account. Then go to Manage your listings.

I can't be sure. I'm trying something with some listings. DexKnows is really tough. Dex currently controls both DexKnows and SuperPages.com I don't think we had ever been able to claim a dex acct but we had an old superpages acct. (superpages has been bought and sold a couple of times).

The dexmedia.com site "MAY" enable one to claim both dexknows.com and superpages.com

I walked through it. Made the changes. I'll go back tomorrow to see if those points I wanted to change...changed.

Dex....lets face it. They don't really want to give out free claimed listings. But maybe there is a way. To be continued.

I updated yesterday. superpages and dexknows both still show the same "crap"/old stuff.

Maybe it will change. Maybe not. I'm sure it would change if we paid them. Free....well I suppose you get what you pay for. ;)

I called in yesterday to get a client a free listing and the rep told me they are no longer managing free listings. That we will have to go through ExpressUpdate if we want to get on there.

I can verify ExpressUpdate does work to get on Dexknows but their cycle time may be anywhere from 6 months to a year. I certainly don't believe it's every month as I put a client on ExpressUpdate through Moz Local around 3 months ago and nothing.

Anyone else have any other experiences? In my experience getting free listings, sometimes some reps aren't necessarily lying, they just don't know the procedure. But then again, DexMedia did just go through a change about 2 weeks ago and maybe this a part of it.

I'd love to hear others input.

I called in yesterday to get a client a free listing and the rep told me they are no longer managing free listings. That we will have to go through ExpressUpdate if we want to get on there.

I can verify ExpressUpdate does work to get on Dexknows but their cycle time may be anywhere from 6 months to a year. I certainly don't believe it's every month as I put a client on ExpressUpdate through Moz Local around 3 months ago and nothing.

Anyone else have any other experiences? In my experience getting free listings, sometimes some reps aren't necessarily lying, they just don't know the procedure. But then again, DexMedia did just go through a change about 2 weeks ago and maybe this a part of it.

I'd love to hear others input.

The instructions from above got me in to make edits in dex, including "supposedly" dexknows and superpages.

Whether the edits take or not is another story to be determined.

It was clear to me though that the staff handling this had very little knowledge or instruction on how to get someone over to claiming a listing free. I tried a couple of sources before I found the "path" described above.

Dexknows has always been a PITA as Phil referenced above about claiming a listing, superpages, which has gone through a couple of different ownerships, at least long ago was fairly simple and pretty standard with regard to claiming a free listing.

The edits haven't taken hold yet. We'll see.

Meanwhile 6 months or longer is a danged long time!!!!!! Not very useful. In six months you may no longer have the client!!!!!

We have a client who pays for his two locations to be listed, in bold, in "book advertising" for a local Yellowpages magazine produced by DexMedia. Our client also has two free listings on Superpages.com.

There is currently no way to track any leads coming from the print advertising, even if our client upgrades his current advertising with DexMedia to have a tracking phone number (ugh!), I really don't think its worth his money. What do you guys think? The book is distributed locally...

Any feedback appreciated :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom