ash-grin

Reaction score
We have a client who their prior SEO firm published numerous articles through a PR service. They have hundreds of backlinks with articles on sites that are not necessarily "toxic" but definitely not the best quality. A lot of the sites are not really relevant in topic to our client either. Some examples of these backlinks include bursakl. com celebwired. com and duniaga. com

My question is should we worry about disavowing any of these? I would hate to disavow tons of backlinks that could potentially be helping them. They are not really the quality I would recommend to build but I am not sure the best steps to take.

ash-grin

Reaction score

Hi @djbaxter Yes, I know disavowing random low quality links is not necessary, but we are on the fence since it is recommended to disavow links that you or your SEO are responsible for which technically includes all of these PR backlinks. This is where I am having the debate and looking for recommendations. Are you saying we should disavow every single PR link then since their past SEO team created these? Wouldn't disavowing hundreds of these links at once possibly be a bad idea? We were thinking to remove the lower quality ones and keep the rest. The clients rankings are not horrific but could certainly improve. Let me know your thoughts!

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@ash-grin, based on what you say, I wouldn't bother disavowing those. Many links you get from press releases are nofollowed, or they disappear after a while anyway.

Especially if your client has some solid links under the belt, and not just iffy links, there's little to no upside in disavowing. Sites that have good links inevitably get crappy ones over time, too. In my experience Google recognizes that, and is more forgiving of shaky links when a solid site gets them than when a shaky site gets even more shaky links.

ash-grin

Reaction score
@Phil Rozek Thank you so much for the feedback. Their links are kind of lacking overall (if you ignore the PR links), so we definitely want to focus on helping them build up quality links. So it sounds like the best route is just focus on new ones and let the PR ones be.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@ash-grin, yeah, that is what I'd do in this case. (Again, based just on what you've described.) You may even get a couple of decent links as a result of the press release, if it was even somewhat "newsworthy" (and not just the usual self-promo). Those would be a shame to disavow, whereas most of the clunker links will disappear over time or just not be bad enough to have ill effects.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
JoyHawkins When Should you File a Disavow? Organic SEO 15
djbaxter Google: Don't disavow bad links unless you are responsible for those links Organic SEO 7
JoyHawkins Do You File a Disavow for a Hacked Site? Organic SEO 5
JoyHawkins When to Use the Disavow Tool? Organic SEO 19
Les Zeppelin 'Disavowing' citations Citations 8
J How does one use tools such as Moz or Semrush if disavowed has been used. Local Search 2
djbaxter New Disavow tool from Bruce Clay Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Linda Buquet Guide to Penguin and the Disavow Tool for Local Search Local Search 4
E Disavowed Links and other matters Organic SEO 6
djbaxter Disavow & Link Removal: Understanding Google Organic SEO 2
Ben Bowen Should I consider "disavow"? Local Search 8
djbaxter New Free Google Backlink Checker Tool for Penguin & Disavow Analysis Organic SEO 1
djbaxter Google updates and disavow options creating mass hysteria Organic SEO 6
osman Do you press release for you listing? Local Search 3
H Pressing that "update" button on WP for plugins or WP itself - how daring are you? Consultant's Corner 7
Brett Burky How Do I Use Our Press Mentions To Elevate Local Rankings? Local Search 7
Pinkape404 Press Release Summary of Submission Sources Organic SEO 0
RobinOctane Free or Cheap Press Release for Lawyers Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Press Releases for Local SEO? See Screenshot Local Search 20
Y Re: Matt Cutts Works on Christmas - Says Press Release Links Don't Count Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Matt Cutts Works on Christmas - Says Press Release Links Don't Count Organic SEO 10
djbaxter Important Emergency WP 5.5.3 Release Websites, Software, and Security 0
djbaxter Xenforo 2.2 has been released Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 4
N GMB API v4.3 has been released Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
djbaxter WordPress 4.9.8 Released, May Need to Install the Classic Editor Websites, Software, and Security 8
djbaxter Google S-Day: Chrome browser v68 released, warns about non-HTTPS sites Organic SEO 4
JoyHawkins Brian Dean Releases New Title Tag Tool Local SEO Tools & Software 18
djbaxter Automattic Releases WordPress Plugin for Facebook?s Instant Articles Mobile & Social 0
Ajay Prasad Yelp is releasing new round of consumer alerts Local Reviews 4
djbaxter WordPress 4.4.1 Security and Maintenance Release Marketing 2
Linda Buquet New V2.0 GMB API Released by Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Google Releases Full Version of Search Quality Rating Guidelines Organic SEO 2
Linda Buquet Local Search Ranking Factors 2015 - Just Released @Moz Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Dustybones MOZ 2015 Search Engine Ranking Factors Study Released Local Search 4
djbaxter WordPress 4.2.2 Security and Maintenance Release Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Critical WordPress 4.2.1 Security Release Websites, Software, and Security 2
L Places Scout - New Release Update? Any Temporary Alternative Local SEO Tools & Software 38
Linda Buquet Local Search Ranking Factors 2014 - Just Released Google My Business & Google Maps 15
S Google Releases Video Series On Taking Your Local Business Online Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A Re: Google Penguin 2.1 Released Recycle Bin 0
T Google Penguin 2.1 Released Organic SEO 9
djbaxter WordPress 3.5.2 Maintenance and Security Release Websites, Software, and Security 0
L Google FINALLY Releases How to Move Local Listing Help Doc Moving or Name Changes 31
Linda Buquet Google FINALLY Releases How to Move Local Listing Help Doc Moving or Name Changes 31
G Thoughts on PR releases for citations Help & Support for Google Local 1