More threads by JordanJCaron

Right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am mainly referring to the strength of the domain when talking about authority to Google. Whether it's Google's dwindling PageRank or Moz's Domain or Page Authority, DMOZ is a healthy place to have your link. While it isn't the be all end all of a strong backlink profile by any means, I think to imply a backlink from them is useless is a stretch.

However one thing I think we've all agreed upon is that it's nearly impossible to get listed nowadays anyway without some sort of connection with the site so it doesn't really matter how beneficial or useless a backlink from them would be - cuz you probably won't get listed. Sorry.

[re DMOZ]...one thing I think we've all agreed upon is that it's nearly impossible to get listed nowadays anyway without some sort of connection with the site...you probably won't get listed. Sorry.

So, who else does that remind you of, using thug tactics and favoritism? Does their name begin with Y and end with p? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't confuse DMOZ with a low quality directory. Google still makes a practice of using their information in SERP's which is an indication that they do still see DMOZ as an authoritative source in some respect. I think it's obvious to everyone that this is all speculation and no one can verify for certain whether DMOZ does or doesn't work.

I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if it's still a signal. Is it a good quality signal? I think we've all agreed it is not. But while Google does tend to be on the cutting edge of things, they are still archaic in some respects, as evidenced by how poorly Pigeon has worked out.

With Google, I never say never.

I wouldn't confuse DMOZ with a low quality directory.

Whatever Google thinks, IMO it has been a low quality directory for years. And again, the fact that Google occasionally uses DMOZ descriptions does not mean they value the links. More likely the DMOZ descriptions are just less spammy or more relevant to a specific search term than the page description. Snippets are not a ranking factor, just a display factor.

Whatever Google thinks, IMO it has been a low quality directory for years. And again, the fact that Google occasionally uses DMOZ descriptions does not mean they value the links. More likely the DMOZ descriptions are just less spammy or more relevant to a specific search term than the page description. Snippets are not a ranking factor, just a display factor.

The fact that Google occasionally uses DMOZ descriptions means it values DMOZ's input. While it does not validate that Google still values DMOZ's links, it does validate that Google does see aspects of DMOZ's existence as valuable, which could still include DMOZ links.

The point is moot either way. There is no way to know definitively. From the start this has been all conjecture and will remain that way, as is the way of SEO, unfortunately.

As far as getting in, some editors are on Fiverr. I have paid and they have given me tips on submission and refunded my money automatically when they couldn't get me in.

They generally will not say, pay five bucks and you are in. They officially offer it as a consulting service but at the end of the day, most of the sellers will get you in or refund you. If you see great feedback, its definitely worth the $5.

Some categories may not have an editor or an editor that is backed up for months. The fiverr guys can sometimes add a category or contact the editor but not always.

Regarding the value, Matt Cutts said it is a backlink like any other. It is certainly editorially given. Also, some other sites use DMOZ to build their own resources and directories. Well worth it.

Matt Cutts did state (youtube, webmaster tools forum) that google may decide to stop using DMOZ for snippets and categorization. That is not what we are talking about here.

That's appalling. A new low for DMOZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not DMOZ doing.

Some editors of DMOZ is offering help. They only charge 5 dollars. For the fee, they make sure the submission is proper.

If your submission isnt perfect, you get rejected.
Categorization is important. Each category has a different editor. So if you submit to Dentist category and there happens to be a Dallas, TX dentis category, it will get rejected.

If there is no clear link to a privacy policy, you may get rejected.

Also your submission has to describe in dry text what you do.

So they do all that which is worth 5 bucks. But if they still can't get you in by contacting editor directly or becoming an editor themselves, they refund.

DMOZ link is worth good money and they are spending a couple of minutes working with you. They are not officially guaranteeing submission but they usually get people approved and do not want to risk bad feedback from those that dont get approved.

A DMOZ link is just another link. That has been true for years and it's still true. Not even worth $5 in my opinion.

The value of that link is solely PageRank. Look at the PR of the page your link is on. The PR your link gets is .85 x the PR of that DMOZ link divided by the total number of links on that page including navigation links. How much PR does your link get?

It is a valid directory link.

As you know, google's algorithm is based largely on links so it is a matter of my business having more link authority than my competitors.

It is not a make it or break it type of deal, but it will give a little more authority to a site.

To be honest, I think it depends on what category you are adding to. We usually add clients to all major directories at the start of our SEO plan for citation purposes etc. I have found that acceptance rates on Dmoz, totally depend on the category you are going for and how active the editors our within that category.

For example: A clothing store may take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to be accepted. Whereas a small niche industrial category may get accepted within 3-4months.

Looking at Dmoz links on Opensite Explorer always tend to come up pretty high (probably because of the high DA), so I wouldn't totally disregard adding a site to the directory.

I have made a handful of submissions to dmoz over the past 3-4yrs, and have applied to become editor on one occasion. I have never heard from them - not once - screw 'em.
I concur with David Baxter on this one :)

Took me 5 years to get my company listed. Did everything 'by the book' and didn't touch it again. I still believe there was a serious conflict of interest with the category editor... there was NO new listings until they were replaced... after years of complaints by so many people. Credibility of the directory was/is zero. Sad.

Also found the editors all too often edit descriptions so severely it is difficult to understand what the business does.

Although I believe there is 'some' value to the link, I don't bother adding clients. There is easier hanging fruit so it is way down the priority list.

I would pursue DMOZ at least it gives you a back link, it is quite easy if you know what to do and you can get listed in 4-6 weeks. I tried it my way and was contacted and approved by these dinosaurs.

You have to read the instructions at least 3 times and follow their guidelines to the letter, start by where you live, keep clicking all the way down to the very last level where you cannot click no further, then look right at the bottom of the page. If that page has recently been updated then submit your details, if not, go back one or two still checking the bottom page for recently submitted, if it has SUBMIT and good luck, best bet is to get your description precisely right, because it is quite difficult to amend later on.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom