JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I periodically see ads on Facebooks for people that claim to have awesome tactics for increasing ranking in the 3-pack. I recently signed up for one to see what their tactics were and it included one like this:

Basically the concept is that by creating a custom Google Map, you are somehow increasing relevancy signals to your GMB listing. I'm super skeptical to say the least.

I added it to my list to test but am curious if anyone here has tried it?

Maps.jpg

Margaret Ornsby

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
This is a relatively old tactic.

It was helpful in the past (years ago), as part of a range of tactics.

Google has changed the feature so dramatically, I no longer believe simply creating a MyMap is worth the time and effort. To get it to have any impact, I think you're going to need to execute this on a much larger scale.

It's not going to hurt, but it's certainly not part of standard procedures anymore.

I'd love to know if you find it has any impact for you.

Dan Foland

SEO Director at Postali
Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see the results too. Though, I don't see much value in this strategy for a user which makes me think this won't have much/any impact.

Along the same lines I've started linking to my clients GMB listings and am curious if anyone has seen any measurable impact from it? For example if a lawyer has a page on medical malpractice and links to their GMB listing does it have an impact for medical malpractice keywords?

Dan Foland

SEO Director at Postali
Local Search Expert
Reaction score
@Margaret Ornsby Most of my clients have embedded maps on their contact pages but we were just linking to the address not the actual business listing. I'm in the process of getting those updated.

However, I'm more interested in more content specific linking. For some clients we tout their high ratings on Google within our content. I'm starting to link a few of those to the GMB listing to see if it helps certain keyword themes improve rankings in maps. Even if it doesn't do anything for rankings it's still valuable to a user to link to our Google reviews after talking about our high ratings.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
@Margaret Ornsby Most of my clients have embedded maps on their contact pages but we were just linking to the address not the actual business listing. I'm in the process of getting those updated.

However, I'm more interested in more content specific linking. For some clients we tout their high ratings on Google within our content. I'm starting to link a few of those to the GMB listing to see if it helps certain keyword themes improve rankings in maps. Even if it doesn't do anything for rankings it's still valuable to a user to link to our Google reviews after talking about our high ratings.

Unless I misinterpreted this, Dan is asking about building links to the GMB page.

It's been a huge topic of conversation in the past with most people (including myself) that we've heard from saying it didn't impact ranking in any noticeable way.

The issue though is Google is constantly changing how they do things. Could it work now? Sure. They could have made that change to the algorithm yesterday.

Interested to hear your results.

Margaret Ornsby

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi @JoshuaMackens - I was misunderstanding Dan. Apologies to all.

I do the maps embedding and have seen a slight lift of a biz in the maps pack. These were areas where the listing was just outside the pack, and we get them into the pack - typically neighbouring suburbs.

This may not work in highly competitive areas in the US, but has worked for me in competitive areas here.

@Dan Foland The content specific linking I have not tested, so I'll shut up now ;-).

Dan Foland

SEO Director at Postali
Local Search Expert
Reaction score
@Margaret Ornsby I'd still love to hear your thoughts/theories. I'm sure there have been 1,000 others to try it/think of this before me.

JohnnyM

Reaction score
We have a client with 12 highly competitive locations and some of their competitors have used this strategy. It sounds like it's an expense in time and effort with limited rewards. On the other hand, I haven't heard anyone mention a down side.

coachmarino

Reaction score
embedding the GMB map is a signal and if you're not doing it on the Contact page and someone else is, I generally see it hurting. It's such an easy thing to do...just do it. Obviously in competitive verticals, everyone's doing it. Everything is relative. Now this other map tactic to me is old school, no longer worthy...but I haven't tried it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet Google Polling Customers via the Maps App - Wonder if they'll display that data Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Creating Custom Google Maps with Google Maps Engine Google My Business & Google Maps 10
A Now Missing - Customize & Preview Embedded Map in Google Classic Maps - Workaround Google My Business & Google Maps 56
djbaxter Google Allows a Custom List of Services to GMB Listings Service Area Businesses 14
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
L Google now allows Site Owners to Customize the Search Results Snippets, but what can be customized? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
Cordell Crowley New? Google Auto-Generating "Suggested Post" w/ Customer Review Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Digitaldar Can Customers Change Their Google Review of a Business? Local Search 1
kbone Redirecting Customers to Google Rating/Review Box... Local Reviews 0
L What strategies do you use to increase customer reviews on your client's Google page? Local Reviews 8
Linda Buquet Say What? Google Says Don't add Review Markup to your Customer Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
ColoradoChris Any benefits from adding keywords to custom Google url? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Dustybones Free Custom Google Analytic's Reports and Dashboards Local SEO Tools & Software 4
G Custom Google Places Categories? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
L Google would object or detect incentivized reviews from actual customers? Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Google May Charge for Google+ Custom URLs - Invites Rolling Out Local Search 4
S Custom Google Plus Local Themes Terms Of Service Question Local Search 5
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
annatindal GMB Customer Uploaded Photos Question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
S 1-star review (not by customer) Can this be removed? Local Reviews 9
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
Claire Carlile No 'message you' data showing in Customer actions Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Custom Map Creation and Their Effects on Ranking Google Local 101 3
M Customer Journey Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 1
rickvidallon Adding Custom Services to GMB Service Area Businesses 9
rickvidallon Replying to Customer Reviews on GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 27
djbaxter Custom BBCode to force nofollow links Local Search Experts Forum 0
Chris Ratchford Anyone familiar w/ Advanced Custom Fields (for WordPress)? Consultant's Corner 6
Monica Simpson FB message for Customer service Citations 5
Ellen Organization Has GMB Listing but Serves No Customers Google My Business & Google Maps 4
JoshuaMackens Customer Heat Map Consultant's Corner 7
cleverlyengaged Multiple reviews from customers are not displaying on client's GMB profile. Nothing for 9 months. Local Reviews 6
J Customer requesting help with SEO optimization for "Customer Name" Keyword Ranking Google Local 101 9
R Free Webinar: How to Use Nextdoor to Reach Your Local Customers Events 0
Oliver Keates Should I be encouraging customers to leave a review on GMB Local Search 10
Garrett Sussman Turning Customers into Storytellers with Jay Baer Local Reviews 0
KevinJr LIKE your customers review? Local Reviews 4
W Checking The Box "I Also Serve Customers At This Business Address" Service Area Businesses 15
John Vuong What is the lifetime value of a customer in Local SEO? Local Search 4
AllSearch52 Calculating the value of 3 pack rankings for customers with no website Local Search 1
H Software to manage customer requests/Orders? Consultant's Corner 0