More threads by Langandq

Langandq

Reaction score
We're trying to update our site with a variety of structured data. We're starting off with the review aggregator json-ld schema and have verified the code through the validator tools.

However, unfortunately it isn't working at all. I heard on a podcast that one potential issue could be the default schema settings in wordpress. The only schema settings I am finding are in Yoast.

Do I need to remove yoast in order to do the customized schema? If so, is it worth it or is there another way to go about this?

Any advice to figure out how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Solution
I feel like I am missing some details. But let me try to answer as much as I can.

Service schema doesn't really produce structured data. That's the same for the review aggregator within the Service Schema.

If you try it in Google's Rich Results and it doesn't show up - that means it is not eligible for structured data. There is a way to do it - but I wouldn't recommend it as it crosses the line outside the guidelines.

It is also possible that you have other schema in the same page that Google is prioritizing. That is why it is recommended to only have 1 schema per page and 1 structured data per page.

If you can provide an example of the code or the page - I can take a look at it better.
We're trying to update our site with a variety of structured data. We're starting off with the review aggregator json-ld schema and have verified the code through the validator tools.

However, unfortunately it isn't working at all. I heard on a podcast that one potential issue could be the default schema settings in wordpress. The only schema settings I am finding are in Yoast.

Do I need to remove yoast in order to do the customized schema? If so, is it worth it or is there another way to go about this?

Any advice to figure out how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Also forgot to mention, my site has been crawled since it was added.

Can you explain what is not working? Is it that it is not installing? Or the structured data is not showing in SERP? What is your end goal?

Thank you for reaching out; I really appreciate it. I'm very new to structured data so I'll do my best to explain.

The schema from schema.org isn't showing up in the SERPs correctly. I'm trying to use the review aggregator that shows the reviews/ratings below the URL (Example ****Ratings: 5 41 reviews) however, it isn't appearing at all. I'm not sure if there are some industries this doesn't work for or my coding is incorrect. Schema Validator says it works and there aren't any issues, but it isn't showing up in SERPs.

In addition, there are some service schema I'm trying to add to a specific service page. However, when I test the Schema in Search Google's Rich Results Test, it comes up as a different Schema code rather than the one identified in schema.org. Again, I tested it and it says it is correct. Maybe Search Google just identifies it differently.

I disabled the Yoast Schema and more of the schema is being recognized in Search Google's Rich Results Test. So that does seem to help, however, the aggregator review isn't showing up how I'd like it to.

Yoast schema is absolute garbage, you should be disabling it - but yoast itself doesnt give a toggle on / off option. I recommend rank math, as its pretty much the same but has better options, one of those options being you can disable the schema withou disabling the plugin.

Disable from yoast via info on this post.

Rich results also do not show for every user and every search ... so it could be configured correctly but google is choosing not to show it for your search.

I feel like I am missing some details. But let me try to answer as much as I can.

Service schema doesn't really produce structured data. That's the same for the review aggregator within the Service Schema.

If you try it in Google's Rich Results and it doesn't show up - that means it is not eligible for structured data. There is a way to do it - but I wouldn't recommend it as it crosses the line outside the guidelines.

It is also possible that you have other schema in the same page that Google is prioritizing. That is why it is recommended to only have 1 schema per page and 1 structured data per page.

If you can provide an example of the code or the page - I can take a look at it better.

Solution

Maybe the industry isn't eligible for the review aggregator to show up in search. Here is the code:

Code:
<script type="application/ld+json">
{
  "@context": "[URL='https://schema.org/']Schema.org - Schema.org[/URL]",
  "@type": "AggregateRating",
  "itemReviewed": {
    "@type": "LocalBusiness",
    "name": "Langan Financial Group",
    "image": "[URL]https://www.langanfinancialgroup.com/logo.png[/URL]",
    "address": {
      "@type": "PostalAddress",
      "streetAddress": "1863 Center St",
      "addressLocality": "Camp Hill",
      "addressRegion": "PA",
      "postalCode": "17011",
      "addressCountry": "US"
    },
    "priceRange": "Varies",
    "telephone": "+1-717-288-1880"
  },
  "ratingValue": "5",
  "bestRating": "5",
  "worstRating": "5",
  "ratingCount": "390",
  "reviewCount": "78"
}
</script>

If you do look at the website, it is in the midst of being completely redone. It is a terrible site and we will hopefully be launched in a month. I'm testing some of the schema on the current live site now. The review schema has been giving me trouble for awhile so I'm hoping to see if I can get it figured out for the new site.

Yoast schema is absolute garbage, you should be disabling it - but yoast itself doesnt give a toggle on / off option. I recommend rank math, as its pretty much the same but has better options, one of those options being you can disable the schema withou disabling the plugin.

Disable from yoast via info on this post.

Rich results also do not show for every user and every search ... so it could be configured correctly but google is choosing not to show it for your search.

Thank you for the information; I'll have to look into rank math. lol that's the exact post I used to help disable yoast. I haven't heard much about their schema but I'm not surprised. I'm excited to start diving into it myself.

Maybe the industry isn't eligible for the review aggregator to show up in search. Here is the code:

Code:
{
  "@context": "[URL='https://schema.org/']Schema.org - Schema.org[/URL]",
  "itemReviewed": {
    "@type": "LocalBusiness",
    "image": "[URL]https://www.langanfinancialgroup.com/logo.png[/URL]",
    },
    "telephone": "+1-717-288-1880"
  },
}
</script>

If you do look at the website, it is in the midst of being completely redone. It is a terrible site and we will hopefully be launched in a month. I'm testing some of the schema on the current live site now. The review schema has been giving me trouble for awhile so I'm hoping to see if I can get it figured out for the new site.

I tried using Rich Results Test - Google Search Console and entered your code. I can confirm that is not eligible for Rich Results. Aggregate Ratings alone is not eligible.

And as far as I know, Service pages are not eligible for a review rich results anyways. Hope this helps!

This was extremely helpful. It's unfortunate, but at least I won't be continuing to focus on trying to make it work. Could you tell it wasn't eligible for Rich Results when it says "No items detected"

I want to make sure I can correctly identify these situations as I'll be continuing trying to add schema to the website for the service company.

There are 2 goals I use schema for: context and Rich Results.

Of course my first goal is rich results. I use this guide to know which is the best for the page I am optimizing: Structured Data Markup that Google Search Supports | Google Search Central | Documentation | Google for Developers. In that link - it will tell what schema's Google recognize for rich results.

But if there are no best way to generate rich results, I still install one for context. It should still help Google understand what the page is about.

So even if you can't use review snippets for that page, I still recommend you installing a schema there.

There are 2 goals I use schema for: context and Rich Results.

Of course my first goal is rich results. I use this guide to know which is the best for the page I am optimizing: Structured Data Markup that Google Search Supports | Google Search Central | Documentation | Google for Developers. In that link - it will tell what schema's Google recognize for rich results.

But if there are no best way to generate rich results, I still install one for context. It should still help Google understand what the page is about.

So even if you can't use review snippets for that page, I still recommend you installing a schema there.

So interesting thing popped up. I Googled "Retirement Planning Manhattan" and there was one organization that popped up that appeared to what I've been trying to achieve for our site. You see on 9. Find the Best Retirement Planning Services in New York, NY it has the ratings underneath; isn't this the AggregateRating Schema causing this?

Based off the Rich Results Test the schema that popped up is:

Code:
      {
        "@context": "[URL='http://schema.org/']Schema.org - Schema.org[/URL]",
        "@type": "Organization",
        "name": "Finance Strategists",
        "aggregateRating": {
        "ratingValue" : "4.4",
        "ratingCount": "11"
        }
      }
    </script>

I'm going to study the rich results coding breakdown to see if I can figure out the exact code that allows this and recreate it with my own information.

1692303953737.jpg

So the difference is you are using @AggregateRating as your main Schema. What they are using is @Organization. Give that a try and see if that works.

We're making progress! Still don't have the review rating on here and need to figure out how to change the "Your Rich card title here" . That might be a <title> issue. Those are the last two things I need to figure out. Amazing how such a little thing can be so difficult.

Something I noticed as I was looking at the company that has the reviews showing. I copied the raw source code from the company and put it into the Rich Results to look at the preview. For some reason, the ratings aren't showing up in the preview, but it is showing up on SERPs. Any idea why this would occur?

Here is the code I used with the preview at the bottom.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
<title>Find the Best Retirement Planning Services in Harrisburg, PA</title>
<meta name="description" content="Need help planning for retirement? Find a qualified retirement planner in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Get advice on 401k, IRA, and other retirement plans.">
<link rel="icon" href="https://www.langanfinancialgroup.com/logo.png">
{
"@context": "Schema.org - Schema.org",
"@type": "Organization",
"image": "https://www.langanfinancialgroup.com/logo.png",
},
"telephone": "+1-717-288-1880",
"aggregateRating": {
"@type": "AggregateRating", (I CHANGED THIS TO ORGANIZATION AND IT CAUSED ANOTHER ERROR)
},
"review": [
{
"@type": "Review",
"reviewRating": {
"@type": "Rating",
"worstRating": "5"
},
"author": {
"@type": "Person",
"name": "John Doe"
},
"datePublished": "2023-08-18",
"reviewBody": "Langan Financial Group provides excellent financial services. Highly recommended!"
},
{
"@type": "Review",
"reviewRating": {
"@type": "Rating",
"worstRating": "5"
},
"author": {
"@type": "Person",
"name": "Jane Smith"
},
"datePublished": "2023-08-17",
"reviewBody": "I had a great experience with Langan Financial Group. Their expertise is top-notch."
}
]
}
</script>

1692385262531.jpg

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom