More threads by hasesho

hasesho

Reaction score
Hello. I am a Japanese product expert. I often visit this forum and refer to useful ideas.

Last week, a local SEO agency in Japan introduced an opinion on a TV news program that “stores that reply to reviews on Google Maps are more likely to appear higher in local search rankings,” and it became a hot topic.

However, in my opinion, “having or not having a review reply does not affect local search ranking.” What do you think?

User engagement is definitely a factor.
Review replies are a potential closer argument. It's a good look on a profile in general. It does not directly appear to affect rankings.

However, I've recently seen some conflicting opinions as to whether profile owner activity in general is a factor. That may have been what that agency was actually motioning at/seeing effects from. Personally, I have not yet seen anyone actually share evidence of this so I'm still treating it as as "possible, but going to assume not a factor".

I agree that you should reply to all reviews, but I haven't seen anyone run a test specifically to determine how it affects rankings. Google support constantly pushes replying as part of their best practice guide, which I wouldn't read too much into.

There could be an indirect uplift in that responding to reviews gives the reviewer a sense of affiliation and is more likely to recommend the company. If someone has taken the time to leave a review, the least you can do is respond and say thank you.

User engagement is definitely a factor.
Review replies are a potential closer argument. It's a good look on a profile in general. It does not directly appear to affect rankings.

However, I've recently seen some conflicting opinions as to whether profile owner activity in general is a factor. That may have been what that agency was actually motioning at/seeing effects from. Personally, I have not yet seen anyone actually share evidence of this so I'm still treating it as as "possible, but going to assume not a factor".
Yes, I agree with you.” User engagement is definitely a factor.”

And thanks for the valuable advice. "possible, but going to assume not a factor”

I agree that you should reply to all reviews, but I haven't seen anyone run a test specifically to determine how it affects rankings. Google support constantly pushes replying as part of their best practice guide, which I wouldn't read too much into.

There could be an indirect uplift in that responding to reviews gives the reviewer a sense of affiliation and is more likely to recommend the company. If someone has taken the time to leave a review, the least you can do is respond and say thank you.

Yes, I agree.

“There could be an indirect uplift in that responding to reviews gives the reviewer a sense of affiliation and is more likely to recommend the company.”

I guess it's in the help section because review replies can consequently improve rankings.

What's the benefit to not responding? If you respond to reviews, you make somebody happy, they might tell somebody else, which may get you a brand search and likely user engagement. It's a no-brainer, just do it. Whether it impacts ranking is asking the wrong question, if we know doing it his helpful in general.

I haven't seen any direct evidence it's a factor, but I agree with klharris08. It's good to do regardless of whether it helps with rankings. I do believe it helps with conversions when you show that you are engaged with your customers, both the 5-star and 1-star customer reviewers (maybe even more so the 1-star).

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU - Sold Out

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom