ValerieM

Reaction score
Hello All,

Im in a quandry. I have a client (floor coating contractor) who has a secondary G+ page that is misspelled, mis-categorized (as flooring company); is missing an address but is showing an incorrect zipcode, but the phone number is correct and it ranks high in the maps

I tried deleting it months ago by contacting Google but it still remains. Since it ranks high and has the correct phone number, I am not sure if I should contact Google again to remove it.

Your thoughts?

Thank you!

ValerieM

Reaction score
No, its not verified and yes- I could tweet Google to fix it but does it make sense to do so since the ranking it has it good? Thats my question - should I or shouldnt I delete it?? When they delete it, wont I lose this great ranking status???? Keep in mind that this "dup" has the correct phone number on it so could be generating calls

Thanks!
Valerie

heckler

Reaction score
I might try to claim it and see what I can do about merging it with my actual listing.

If you think it is driving calls, then I might consider leaving it (no guarantee that ranking stays w/ merge).

It is really hard to advise you on what you should do without knowing what terms (volume-wise) it is showing up for (and where #metro) vs where your actual listing is showing up relevant in the local pack (and where #metro).

You may be keeping your real listing from performing. I'd also chase down that incorrect information on that listing to see if it is seeding from a source upstream (not to mention it may be seeding bad-data for the business).

ValerieM

Reaction score
Thank Heckler. I wish I could tell if this dup was driving business but have no way of knowing. Im just guessing right.
You brought up something interesting that is new to me! What is the best way to "chase down that incorrect information on that listing to see if it is seeding from a source upstream (not to mention it may be seeding bad-data for the business)."?

heckler

Reaction score
I'd take the bad listing and do variations of search using its name, address, phone, etc. Another thing you can do is look at the listing itself in the local finder (under the last section 'web results') to find where Google is citing data for the listing (<- good place to start).

Use the advanced search operators to find stuff. For instance, if you're searching the address add a negative operator for the brand just to see if anything else is at that address. Modify your searches based on what you find (and keep a list of things that may need to be fixed).

Ex. 123 Street ABC Austin TX -"business name"

Try a handful of searches, note what domains are appearing and to further refine, append "site:xyzdomainyouarelookingat.com" to limit to the specific site you're digging through. I know you said it has wrong categories, I'd keep a look out for those bad categories on other citations.

I wish I could tell if this dup was driving business but have no way of knowing. Im just guessing right.

You can get a good idea of the value of that ranking by looking at the search volume for the terms you've found it in the 3-pack by using the keyword planner. I personally would destroy that dupe, but I'm a purest.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Don't claim it. You mentioned it's missing an address which makes me think it's an SAB set-up (hidden address). If you are noticing an incorrect zip code the address that is hidden probably doesn't match the address that you're currently using which is why support may have told you they can't merge.

You should search on Google for business name + wrong zip (the one you're seeing) to see if you can find the address on any other sites where it's not hidden and then ask the client what the address is (an old home address, virtual office etc). My advice on getting rid of it will depend on what your client tells you it is.

Local Mixed

Reaction score
You can actually call Google. We've done it for our clients and the usually get it sorted out while on the phone.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Duplicate Content Issues on City Landing Pages Local Search 10
M Duplicate Pages - Correct SEO Labelling Organic SEO 3
E Automatic Duplicate Google Plus Page Help & Support for Google Local 13
A Do Data Aggregators still have problems with creating duplicate pages? Local Search 8
Rich Owings Yet another duplicate G+ pages issue Help & Support for Google Local 4
Rich Owings Duplicate pages under separate email account Help & Support for Google Local 24
mda1125 Duplicate and Verified Google+ Business Pages Help & Support for Google Local 9
K Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
R What should I do with duplicate G+ page? Help & Support for Google Local 10
A Duplicate listings or duplicate business pages? Google Duplicates & Merges 3
Amber Robinson Duplicate listings or duplicate business pages? Google Duplicates & Merges 3
J Duplicate G+ Pages Help & Support for Google Local 13
M Checklist for Finding Duplicate Place Pages Google Duplicates & Merges 9
Margaret Ornsby Checklist for Finding Duplicate Place Pages Google Duplicates & Merges 9
Dustybones Found Bunch of Duplicate G+ Business Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Remove Duplicate Photos In New Google+ Local Pages? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
L How do we get our Google+ Local page to merge with a duplicate Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Brian Duplicating Home Page content in the description for new Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
WAHamilton Main listing filtered by duplicate, after duplicate is marked as 'closed' Google Duplicates & Merges 6
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
eshad Account suspended, duplicate created. Suspended listing shows. Verified listing does not Google Duplicates & Merges 3
C How to respond to multiple fake or duplicate GMB accounts? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
F Practitioner Listings being marked as Duplicate - Law firm category Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Ben Walsh Best way to contact the GMB team for duplicates, etc., at the moment? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
kathleen.rhodes We are unable to get Google to merge 2 duplicate listings into the correct one Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Creativedge Question on duplicate content and search ranking for dentists Local Search 10
darcycburk Duplicate Department Listing Google Duplicates & Merges 5
Hammer I need help with duplicate listings All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Rich Owings How to report fake/duplicate listing Spam on Google 3
M Missing reviews after business erroneously marked as a duplicate Google Duplicates & Merges 6
coachmarino duplicate thread Contact Us Messages 1
TriciaClements Merging 2 GMB (Not duplicates) Google Duplicates & Merges 10
K GMB Server Errors when trying to report a duplicate Google My Business & Google Maps 2
STM Google My Business Duplicate Listing Removal and Dashboard Issue Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Jeffrey Duplicate merging not working Local Search 2
freerunr Email Notifications: Listings marked as duplicates Google Duplicates & Merges 2
B Google marked listing as duplicate but its not Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Rich Owings Are duplicate listings no longer showing? Google Duplicates & Merges 2
lancemoore22 Duplicate Listing Google Duplicates & Merges 4
W *URGENT* Business incorrectly labeled as "duplicate listing." MY BUSINESS WILL CLOSE IF UNRESOLVED!! Contact Us Messages 1
Mike Yem GMB Duplicate Loop Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
djbaxter Google Discards Duplicated Reconsideration Requests Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tony Wang Duplicate Review - Best Reason to Flag? Local Reviews 1
LisaB Removing 2 Duplicate GMB Listings Google Duplicates & Merges 9
B Duplicate Listings - Google Not Merging Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Barb Davids Duplicate FB Listing in Bright Local Citations 1
mikepetersonwi Unable to create GMB listing as it's considered a duplicate Google Duplicates & Merges 1
CraigJMount 3 Uses of the World "Duplicate Location" in GMB Google Duplicates & Merges 1
ianscott Incorrect Business Names/Duplicate Listings - When To Escalate To Spam Report? Spam on Google 1
djbaxter Active Attack on Duplicator Plugin Vulnerability Websites, Software, and Security 0