More threads by RobinOctane

Reaction score
I have a business that moved.

There are two Google business listings. And Google keeps attaching the old listing in the SERPs.

I don't have access to the old listing.

I tried claiming in Google my Places, under the current active Google account 'saying this is my business". They said, "we will contact page owner and get back to you". No response and I emailed again. No response.

How do I get Google to remove the old listing. The only good thing about the old one is a review from 2 years ago (which it's possible to get the person to write another one).

Does Google still do merges?

If I call Support, do I ask for them to merge, close or change address?

Thanks.

Hi Robin, the only option Google will allow is to close it.

Google will never delete listings if there was ever a business there and there are still citations.
And they would never merge an old address into a new one. They will only merge if it's the same biz, same location and almost identical NAP.

Should not try to claim it.

And you can should at least try to close it yourself 1st, but it can take a couple people trying from different accounts and IPs. G makes it hard to close a listing since sometimes it's done as competitive sabotage.

And you need to link to new listing and would be good to mention they can see the correct address on the website.

After you get the listing close that's supposed to pull it out of KW searches and it should only show for brand searches. (But Pigeon is messing that part up lately.)

You can also ask Google to move the reviews over to the new listing.

(Both business moves and moving reviews are covered in their respective parts of the forum - or maybe in Google Local IMPORTANT.)

I had a hard time changing the address to my business with google. Everytime I did it wouldn't show up that I had. I used the contact google feature and they were able to do it over the phone and make a new local listing for the new address. They also moved the reviews over for me which was huge since I had 17 of them.

I do have one issue though, on my new listing there is no mention of reviews from around the web. The old listing is still getting all the juice from reviews around the web. Not sure how to fix this.

I do have one issue though, on my new listing there is no mention of reviews from around the web. The old listing is still getting all the juice from reviews around the web. Not sure how to fix this.

Hmmm, I just helped a Dentist on the Google forum with a totally different issue, but noticed he was missing 3rd party reviews and didn't know why. Maybe that's it but this is the 1st time I've ever heard of it.

Call support about it and then please let us know what they say.

FYI don't even bring up ranking - say for data accuracy, since we have moved.

BUT reviews sync up by exact match of NAP, so I have a feeling the only way to get credit is to change NAP on those review sites.

I will call, that is a marvelous idea. And I have changed nap on all sites especially review sites.

Actually was able to get into listing. Address was changed.
Now I have two listings, identical everything, can I get Google to Merge there is a nice review I would not like to lose.

The older listing with more views 7k vs the newer listing 4k. The 4k one is one we have been managing, years of Google Plus posts.

Should I attach the website to the 7k (currently attached to 4k) and then ask for a merge?

Thanks.

It's a violation to have 2 claimed listings for same address.

I don't think they'll merge since there is violation and since the old address should not have been changed to the new address. They are technically not the same listing since the old one should still technically be at old address - so they are not dupes. They can see the history of what happened. You can ask them to merge, but they will likely do what I recommended and change the old address back and close the listing. Then again you could get a newbie that just sees 2 with same NAP and merges.

Let us know what happens.

Trust me I didn't change it. The client thought it would be helpful, which in one was it was because it was attached to the listing in the SERP.

The picture though is still of the old address.

I will let you know.

Oh sorry, when you said "Actually was able to get into listing. Address was changed.
Now I have two listings" thought it sounded like you did it.

Anyway let us know what happens.

Thanks, Linda

Update:
We got Google to bring over the other review AFTER we shut down the 2nd listing in the same location. Apparently we hadn't hit Google's blacklist because the addresses were slightly different (suite # etc).

The only problem now is that the Map View still shows the old address in the picture and the pin. Over the phone the support suggested I request a correction and move the pin. I did, it's been 3 days and it's still wrong.

Linda do you know how long it would take a Google Map listing to update after an address change on a listing?

PS Google Support was so helpful, a far cry from the way things were 2 years ago.

Over the phone the support suggested I request a correction and move the pin. I did, it's been 3 days and it's still wrong.

Linda do you know how long it would take a Google Map listing to update after an address change on a listing?

PS Google Support was so helpful, a far cry from the way things were 2 years ago.

Progress!!! Good to hear Robin!

"support suggested I request a correction and move the pin"

How did you do it? In map maker or edit details or ???

At any rate I won't know the answer because it's more of a map thing not a GMB thing.

You could ask at the Map Maker forum and share the URL to the MM listing and someone may approve or move or at least explain more about timing.

YAY support - yes big change from the old days!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom