djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Stop thinking about long-tail keywords and start focusing on searcher intent
by Kevin Gamache, Search Engine Watch
February 24, 2016

[In the past,] Long-tail keywords ? those specific phrases of low-volume but perhaps higher-quality queries from searchers who are closer to taking action on procuring the product or service they seek ? have certainly received a heck of a lot of recognition for their value to marketers. However, I am here to declare the demise of these keywords that we held in such high regard only a few short years ago....

....the term ?long-tail?, to me, no longer exists. The once novel concept of paying attention to long-tail keyword queries is now so commonplace that it can go without being said. Long-tail keywords are now just the queries we all use to actually find what we need. Our ability to identify specific combinations of words that lead to our desired results will continue to evolve.

This is why the SEO community is moving away from the targeting of specific keywords or queries to instead thinking about themes and the searcher?s intent.

Read more...

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Any time you do keyword research you should be thinking about user intent behind the keywords. What's the point of ranking #1 for a keyword that doesn't drive qualified traffic/contribute to revenue? At the end of the day no one actually cares about ranking; they really care about revenue being generated from search.

Bucket keyword lists based on position in the sales funnel, and make sure you're spending a majority of your time working on sections of your (or your client's) site targeting the ones with an intent to convert.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Re: Forget TV Reruns - Watch the InsideLocal Search Marathon & Start New Year Right Recycle Bin 0
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
Jens How long until improvements are visible Local Search 4
WAHamilton How long is it taking you to get a response from Google Support? Help & Support for Google Local 16
Rich Owings Moving SAB long distance Moving or Name Changes 9
R How long would the logo review process be for several hundred listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
SpectateSwamp Using long fancy filenames to curate Videos Mobile & Social 3
FriarTuck00 How Long Does It Take to Get Duplicates Removed? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter The search could not be completed because the keywords were too short, too long, or too common. How To Guides 3
djbaxter Accidental Site De-Index from Google and Long Road to Recovery: Moz Case Study Organic SEO 0
pauieee DUP: Suspension - First one in a long time Recycle Bin 0
Tim Colling Suspension - First one in a long time Google My Business & Google Maps 108
MarianoF A brand name too long for a Title Tag. Should I include it there anyway? Local Search 11
Oliver Keates Long Term Local Link Building Local Search 5
Tim Colling Is Google Playing the Long Game with SMB Websites? Local Search 4
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
djbaxter Another long weekend in Canada Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
John Ennis Long-term Consulting Opportunity in DC - Local Search Lead Local SEO Job Board 0
Linda Buquet New from Google: How Long Have you Been in Business? New in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 3
D How long to rank in GMB section? Local Search 3
B Hacked website for a long time . Difficult Case Local Search 9
Scott ClientClicks MozLocal - How long for Acxiom and Localeze? Local Search 1
Travis Van Slooten How Long Does It Take for New Google+ Pages to Go Live These Days? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
jessewheel Re: Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Recycle Bin 0
JoyHawkins How Long Does it Take to Rank Locally? Local Search 12
MichaelW How long does it usually take for a listing to be reviewed? Help & Support for Google Local 8
Dustybones How long will the Google Maps loopholes continue? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Local SEO Will Help You Live Long and Prosper - Greg Gifford #BrightonSEO Local Search 4
C Google My Business Bulk Account - how long to verify? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones 2014 Local SEO Expert Survey: How long to Rank Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Manual Google Penalties - How Long Do they Last? Expiration Times? Organic SEO 2
G Google+ Local Penalization: How long to recover? Help & Support for Google Local 8
M How long does it take for reviews to improve rankings? Local Reviews 6
Linda Buquet Hummingbird and the Local Long Tail - Semantic Search Illustrated Local Search 1
grasshoppersean UK Verification - How Long Should I Wait for PIN? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Targeting The Long Tail In Google Local Search w/ Keyword Research Local Search 2
D Re: Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Recycle Bin 0
M How long does 'pending' take? Help & Support for Google Local 9
N How long until a listing appears in search results and when will images show? Help & Support for Google Local 16
D Hyper local media goes viral and may turn a disaster into a big long term positive Mobile & Social 1
S How long does the listing take to go live? Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet How Long to get Local SEO Ranking Results? Answers Inside Local Search 17
shondarogers How Long Should I wait after submitting to Directories before claiming Google Places Local Search 3
Jim Froling Long Time Listings Now "Under Review" Help & Support for Google Local 13
S When updating or claiming a listing, how long is it 'offline'? Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take? Local Search 13
Linda Buquet Infographic - How Long before Citations Hit Google? Local Search 4
Marie Haynes How long did it take for your listing to be active after entering PIN? Local Search 6