Ryanl

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I was doing some research and checking status the old fashion way.

Google local service ads popped up in GMB section.

I really don’t like this because some companies are in google local services and are 1-2 hours away. I think the idea people are looking for in GMB results is local. The meaning can be different than most but I know here in my town people mean like 10-15 mile radius around our town.

What are your thoughts?

04DCE499-6454-4691-8752-9942E8BA5AB8.png

Ryanl

Reaction score
Whoa, I've seen one ad in the 3-pack before, but never 2. Local Services ads started getting shown there in early July but this is a little frightening seeing 2.

Were you on your phone searching? What browser did you use?

iPhone google chrome

Ampere

Reaction score
I don’t feel this is in the best interest of searchers.
Very rarely is advertising in the best interest of anyone other than the advertiser and the medium that the advertiser is paying to put their advertisement up 😄

As one of those advertisers myself (Local Service Ads user) I think its definitely in my best interest to have my ad in there, along with my organic result being in the A position of the 3 pack :)

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Very rarely is advertising in the best interest of anyone other than the advertiser and the medium that the advertiser is paying to put their advertisement up 😄

As one of those advertisers myself (Local Service Ads user) I think its definitely in my best interest to have my ad in there, along with my organic result being in the A position of the 3 pack :)
And how do you feel about having competitors' ads on your listing?

Ampere

Reaction score
And how do you feel about having competitors' ads on your listing?
I HATE it!!!!!

But I understand it ;)

When someone goes directly to my page on Yelp, they are looking at lots of ads of other electrician on prime areas of the page. When they search for "electrician" in Yelp they are shown 10 electrician advertisements before the organic results. When you watch a television show, 1/3 of your time is spent watching ads. Such is life...

Josh Gill

Reaction score
I have seen it also with 2 LSA's in the Atlanta, GA Bed Bug/Pest Control space.

Reaction score
Is this only for service area businesses? What about those with a concrete location; are they competing with SABs? Example a plumber with an office who travels vs a plumber who is self employed and works out of the home.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this only for service area businesses? What about those with a concrete location; are they competing with SABs? Example a plumber with an office who travels vs a plumber who is self employed and works out of the home.

Businesses with home addresses can still show up in the Local Services Ads section but I believe the location of the business does factor into the ranking and where it shows up.

Ampere

Reaction score
When it comes to a service area business like a plumber or electrician, does it matter at all in GMB, organic rankings, or LSA's if the business has a commercial property or works out of their residence?

I did not think it mattered for anything on Google.

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
When it comes to a service area business like a plumber or electrician, does it matter at all in GMB, organic rankings, or LSA's if the business has a commercial property or works out of their residence?

I did not think it mattered for anything on Google.

Some people will have a different opinion, but I don't think it matters. Location, whether it is a home address or commercial, will have a big impact though, due to factors such as proximity, population and competition.

CLARIFICATION: I'm addressing the question by @Ampere about GMB. I have very little experience re: LSA's.

Last edited:

TomW

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
The physical location associated with the Local Services ad is a huge factor. Doesn't matter if it's residential or commercial.

In the specific example in this thread for garage door repair near Buford, GA, the two Local Services ads aren't for locations 1-2 hours away. One is in Buford and the other is in Suwanee, around 10 miles away.