Les Zeppelin

Reaction score
So this just happened:

An elderly gentleman had just walked (for him) a fair old distance thinking that we serve customers. The problem is we are just head office and don't actually serve customers from here in any way.

Someone at some point added our head office to Google maps and sure enough, we come up when searching for our service. The hotel he had come from had googled our service and directed him to us.

This guy was understandably furious and it was very, very awkward for me!

I need this listing removed from Google maps - not marked as permanently closed. Just obliterated...gone.

If it's marked as permanently closed that would be more damaging than people walking up to our door because we are very much open. I don't want or need people knowing that we are here in head office.

Is this possible?
Thanks.

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Yes, that is an understandably frustrating situation. Unfortunately there's no way to really "remove" the business from maps. If you go through the steps to remove the business from your account, it will still exist on maps but you won't have access to it (not good).

What you might want to do is set a service area for the office and note you don't see customers at that address, since... you don't see customers at that address. That way your address won't be public, and people wouldn't be able to get driving directions to your office.

From there you can set the website link to an office directory or something, so if people do find that GMB listing they can at least find the correct office.

thoughts on that approach?

Les Zeppelin

Reaction score
I posted this on Friday night and then totally forgot about it!

So these are the options I have set:

I deliver goods and services to my customers at their location:
Yes
No

I've clicked yes.

I've set it to within 1km of my business.

I have then unchecked the box that says "I also serve customers at my business address. (Your address will be hidden from the public if this box isn't checked.)"

I guess that's all I can do!

Google really need to get a system in place to permanently remove things from their maps because in ten years time it's going to be an unbelievable mess.

Thanks for your help and apologies for not replying sooner!

Reaction score
What exactly is the business? Which industry, and are there other locations customers should actually be going to? It's possible that the HQ doesn't deserve a local listing at all. Eric's right that there's no way to remove it just from your account, but Google does have ways to get listings removed if they shouldn't exist in the first place. I can point you in the right direction for getting it removed if you tell me a little more about the business first. For now though, getting it marked as an SAB is at least going to avoid confusing any future customers.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Google December 2020 core update now fully rolled out Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Ben Walsh Is leaving a review on a GMB listing back? and if so is it fully functional? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 9
Garrett Sussman How to Fully Optimize Your Google My Business Listing Local Reviews 0
Margaret Ornsby Here's a funky one - fully blank page Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
M Removing old GMB listing from previous owner of premises Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Professor M New Local European Local listing removals Process Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Removed address to SAB now no longer showing in map pack Service Area Businesses 8
Nicole Basham Cons of Removing Second FB Page Profile/"Extra" Twitter account for Local SAB? Mobile & Social 1
W Is it possible to remove reviews on GMB? Local Reviews 4
Mike Yem Remove 3rd party messaging service All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Greg Bernhardt Implemented Remove Skype and add Linkedin for profile? Suggestions for the Local Search Forum 2
Niki Gross Tracking Variables Removed After Dec. Update Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Mozilla to remove Site Specific Browser (Site as app, PWA-like feature) Mobile & Social 0
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
K Google & Google Users Removing Items From Service Menu Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Facebook removing recommendations and ratings Mobile & Social 2
Chris Ratchford Yelp won't remove a review from a rude reviewer Local Reviews 15
Tim Kahlert Google removed post snippet Google Algorithm Discussions 2
jeff_taylor GMB Removes Reviews from Local Pack Local Search 0
W Call Tracking being Removed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
WAHamilton Spam listing reported through Redressal Form and not removed. Next steps? Spam on Google 5
S 1-star review (not by customer) Can this be removed? Local Reviews 9
Rasmus Himmelstrup UTM parameters on the GMB website button keeps getting removed Multi-Location Issues 2
F Best Way to Remove a Practitioner Listing Google Duplicates & Merges 3
C A way to find a removed review? Local Reviews 2
STM Google My Business Duplicate Listing Removal and Dashboard Issue Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Danish Blackmail Review (Asking money to remove it) | Google support does not wish to take it down Local Reviews 2
billenross Location removed from maps All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 9
Mmclean07 "Remove" or "Permanently Close" Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Rich Owings How to remove reviews left by same person for each location All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 21
Chris Ratchford Can't find call tracking on website... need to remove it Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Aly Kurtz Removing map pin that isn't linked to a GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djcoppedge Removing/Responding to Inaccurate Reviews in Healthcare Local Reviews 1
Lanerizz GMB Removing Short Names Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Mike Yem Removal of Business 360 view Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 15
djbaxter Google AdSense Removes iOS & Android Apps From App Store Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
LisaB Removing 2 Duplicate GMB Listings Google Duplicates & Merges 9
Jac Delay notice on new Google review is removed Local Reviews 0
Bryan Bloom 👉 Ahrefs Users - Are you aware they removed client alerts? Is this an issue for you also? Local SEO Tools & Software 5
MKubot Google Removing Category NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
K Help, False Listings, I've tried everything to remove them! It's bankrupting me! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
ChristianRdz Removing spam/fake reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
S UTM Tracking Being Removed Google My Business & Google Maps 20
Annika Neudecker Timeframe for review removals with legal complaints? Local Reviews 0
Rasmus Himmelstrup Removal of "Manage This Listing" - not possible? Multi-Location Issues 3
djbaxter New Removals report in Search Console Organic SEO 0