More threads by djcoppedge

Reaction score
We manage listings for a construction (new home builder) company and last week we noticed that a bunch of new categories were added to 'Services' "based on feedback from customers and other Google sources". Some of these categories aren't related to the construction world at all. They are health care related. In fact, a few listings even had Outpatient Surgery listed.

thread-74589891-4263598553869018475.jpg

There is an option for us to accept changes, in which, we should see them in the 'Google Updates' tab but they don't appear there. From what we can tell there is no way for us to edit these in bulk. We've tried exporting and exporting with Google Updates and nothing is there with these new service categories. A few days ago, we manually went into each listing (a couple hundred) and deleted the added services. We noticed they are all back again today :(

Google isn't waiting for us to accept changes either. They are making them live in the Mobile SERP which could cause for a confusing UX.
thread-74589891-4375178615092785398.jpg

Anyone else seeing this with their listings? Any insights here would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Dave,
This is also something I've seen with a couple of listings I help manage as well. I'll be watching the thread

Did you find a solution to this? I have had this happen to quite a few listings recently, on one listing Google have added 20+ random categories, it appears these are all keywords on the website but some of them wouldn't be a category eg. free quote. This seems to be happening a lot at the moment across multiple clients.

tree lopping.JPG

Hi @karendauncey Google adds information to Google My Business by scraping the web. They do this for the services section. The services in your screenshot are web crawled from trusted websites. If you go in and edit these and remove them, they will not be added back a second time.

Thanks so much for the reply, I shall remove them. It seems crazy as they are all live and no notification from GMB either.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom