More threads by Conor Treacy

Solutions
Reaction score
We have a client that sells brochures through her website (eCommerce Store).

While she does have some local clients from time to time (very rare), her business is mainly online and serves the entire US.

She prints and then ships the brochures to her clients, except the 2 local clients that she delivers to once a year or so.

GMB terms say that the Business listing is only for Local or SAB, but we all know how powerful it is to have the business show in the knowledge panel.

Are they truly out of luck on this, or would her 2 customers, once a year, qualify for a "Service Area" and be allowed to get a listing?

Yes I'm pushing where the line is, well aware of it ;) It's kind of like "the intent of the message" vs "what the message says"

Whats other's thoughts?

Hi Conor,

If she makes in-person contact with her customers, even if only a couple of them, you could make the case for eligibility. My question is, what benefit would they get from having a GMB if they aren't really a local business?

If she makes in-person contact with her customers, even if only a couple of them, you could make the case for eligibility. My question is, what benefit would they get from having a GMB if they aren't really a local business?

The only real benefit would be to show in the Knowledge Panel (right side of search results) when people search for their business name. Also the use of Posts etc. Less from a local end, more just from a branding end. People around the US call to place orders also, so it would be the easy route for click to call, or business validation etc.

I'd say it falls into a grey area but given the fact that they do technically make in person contact it should work.

You might want to consult with Google support to see if you get their blessing giving the details. My only fear would be spending time and effort gathering reviews and to have those all taken away if the listing ever gets suspended.

It's definitely "gray" territory, and I never like being in that zone.

I'll present the options to the client and let them make the decision (almost as bad as leaving it in the hands of Google to make the decision :) )

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom