More threads by pwarrenseo

pwarrenseo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering how many of you embed the Google map for a one location business in the footer vs having it just on a contact page. Do you think there is a benefit to having it in the footer vs a landing page?

We typically just embed it on the contact page. The only benefit I can think of to having it in the footer is if you have awesome reviews on Google as these are highlighted in the embed and therefore highlighted on every page of the site if it's in the footer.

What Colan said.

For us, having it on the contact page is a must, though I do like to see it on the home page as well. Not in the footer, but near the bottom of the home page. No benefit to ranking though that I'm aware of. It's good for conversion when reviews are good.

Agree with above... Contact page and sometimes home page if it makes sense to help people with directions or highlight review stars. Extra embed code will have slight effect of slowing down page speed however.

Extra embed code will have slight effect of slowing down page speed however.
Yes I ran into this with one of my clients who wanted a map embedded in the footer. I tested this against 3 different page speed sites and was surprised actually at how much that slowed down page loads. The difference was noticeable and significant.

I would strongly advise against it.

If the map is at the bottom of the page, the added load time shouldn't affect you much, if at all. Google is more concerned with above the fold, how quickly your page starts to render, etc. There's all sorts of metrics to reflect these items (first paint, etc), but total page load time is not the most important issue.

I find it meaningful to have the map on the home page if someone would want to know where it is, which most people would for a brick and mortar. And the review stars.

If the map is at the bottom of the page, the added load time shouldn't affect you much, if at all.
Don't take my word for it: Test it for yourself. It makes a big difference in page load speed if you stick it in the footer.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement. My point was that page load speed is not the most important thing. I doubt it affects first paint, fcp, etc.

We sometimes embed an image of a map with a "service area" circle in the footer for SAB clients, but not an actual Google Maps embed. That goes on the contact page only, for most of our clients.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement. My point was that page load speed is not the most important thing. I doubt it affects first paint, fcp, etc.

It won't affect first paint but it still registers with Google pagespeed tool I believe.

I've had a lot of web devs comment that a picture is best to use in place of the map.

On my website the Contact page is made up of a Joomla plugin called Uniform which is a contact form. That Uniform extension takes up the entire center container main body, and I can't find a way to add the GMB map to it. But I am a service area business so my address and map shouldn't matter on the Contact page since I don't accept customers at my address.

I have the map on my "Service Area" page, which works out perfectly because the map shows the highlights area of my service area, which directly corresponds to the links to the different town landing pages that are listed on the Service Area page.

My question is if it is still important to get the GMB map on the Contact page? Will it make any difference?

I don't think it matters as much since you're an SAB, but it certainly won't hurt. I like having it because it shows off your reviews. I'm sure there's a way to add it to your contact page, did you ask your web designer?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom