More threads by annatindal

annatindal

LocalU Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd love any advice you have on how to set up GMB for this scenario.

A client came to me with a GMB listing for his concrete services company. As of today, his company provides both concrete delivery and finishing under 1 LLC. The current GMB listing is tied to his home address. However, he plans to spin off the finishing side of his business (with a rebrand) and place it under a new LLC. But, he still plans to be operating it from his home. Thus, this would be 2 service-area businesses attached to the owner's home address.

Will Google find conflict if the new business is using the same address? If so, does anyone have recommendations on how to handle?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hey @annatindal based on your description it sounds like it's still really the same business just offering related, but different services, right? Can you clarify the two different services being offered?

The original business (Company A) offered concrete delivery (to contractors) AND concrete finishing (to homeowners).

Concrete delivery is just delivering concrete to concrete contractors. And, concrete finishing is building concrete driveways, patios, walkways, etc for homeowners.

Moving forward, Company A will only offer concrete delivery. And, Company B will offer concrete finishing.

The owner decided to start (Company B) for two reasons. He splits profits on the concrete delivery side of his business and wanted better accounting. And, secondly, he wanted to more closely target the 2 different audiences on a local level with their own brand and messaging through GMB.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts relative to GMB.

If the two businesses are legally separate with their own business license, GMB categories, phone number you might be able to make it work in Google's eyes.

With that said, from my experience you are likely going to keep running into issues with Google thinking these are the same business and marking one of them as a duplicate. If that happens you will need to be able to prove to Google that they are totally separate businesses.

If the two businesses are both legal entities it should be no problem to list at his home address. But a better solution might be to use the home address and a virtual office in another part of town. Many clients seek a local service provider since they understand that the closer business can probably give them the best price due to less travel time. This could drive more client calls. In general it's probably better for business to utilize a virtual office for both entities to give a more professional appearance.

I am sorry but Google would end up suspending the duplicate listings if and when reported. Google is also cracking down and immediately suspending listings that are using virtual offices the minute that they verify via pin postcard. This is not really an advisable practice.

You will end up spending money to rent a virtual office and then end up getting suspended. I don’t see how it is worth the headache and hassle to go through the process when there is no guarantee that it will work or last.

If the two businesses are both legal entities it should be no problem to list at his home address. But a better solution might be to use the home address and a virtual office in another part of town. Many clients seek a local service provider since they understand that the closer business can probably give them the best price due to less travel time. This could drive more client calls. In general it's probably better for business to utilize a virtual office for both entities to give a more professional appearance.
[/QUOTE

I am sorry but Google would end up suspending the duplicate listings if and when reported. Google is also cracking down and immediately suspending listings that are using virtual offices the minute that they verify via pin postcard. This is not really an advisable practice.

You will end up spending money to rent a virtual office and then end up getting suspended. I don’t see how it is worth the headache and hassle to go through the process when their is no guarantee that it will work or last.
Sorry but your reply is not based on fact. I am very surprised to see that by a person listed as an Administrator on this forum. As a person that is actively in this business space, and actively communicates with Google My Business on this very subject, I can assure you that you are giving bad advice.

There are other threads here where I have helped explain the details of how GMB works and allows virtual offices for Service Area Businesses only. I deal with this on a daily basis for work and can assure you without question that the statement by keyserholiday is not based on fact, or actual "current" experience and would simply be conjecture based on an incorrect interpretation of loosely written GMB guidelines and experience from years ago when GMB was more actively dealing with virtual office address spamming issues.

Google verification pins arrive at the virtual office and are processed the same as at any other business location or home address. No problems, no issues, fully compliant with GMB. It is done every day and most real virtual offices (those that have Conference Rooms and offices clients can use during business hours).

Sorry but your reply is not based on fact. I am very surprised to see that by a person listed as an Administrator on this forum. As a person that is actively in this business space, and actively communicates with Google My Business on this very subject, I can assure you that you are giving bad advice.

There are other threads here where I have helped explain the details of how GMB works and allows virtual offices for Service Area Businesses only. I deal with this on a daily basis for work and can assure you without question that the statement by keyserholiday is not based on fact, or actual "current" experience and would simply be conjecture based on an incorrect interpretation of loosely written GMB guidelines and experience from years ago when GMB was more actively dealing with virtual office address spamming issues.

Google verification pins arrive at the virtual office and are processed the same as at any other business location or home address. No problems, no issues, fully compliant with GMB. It is done every day and most real virtual offices (those that have Conference Rooms and offices clients can use during business hours).

Joy Hawkins is a GMB Product Expert. Not only has she done extensive research in this topic, she has repeatedly asked Google for clarification. She is not arguing, but stating her findings for her extensive research. I assure you Google is cracking back down on illegitimate business listings currently. The GMB Forumhas seen a massive uptick in threads where businesses are reported that have been suspended overnight by Google. I am seeing a lot of cases where businesses using virtual offices are getting suspended. I am seeing similar talk on several seo groups too.

Terrible advice, that's basically spam, and the reason why virtual offices are constantly flagged.

Terrible advice, that's basically spam, and the reason why virtual offices are constantly flagged.
I don't think you understand what a corporation or LLC is. As separate legal entities, these are not the same business. You can split a business into multiple businesses. Example: Contractor runs a Remodeling business and a Handyman business. Both could share the same address, both can fully utilize SEO at that address. Or, they can be at different addresses as I wrote. It simply doesn't matter since they are completely different businesses legally and actually. Come on people....understand concepts before posting such bad advice.

Come on people....understand concepts before posting such bad advice.
Physician heal thyself?

Please be mindful of our forum rules:

Overall Community Attitude
  • The Local Search Forum is a professional community
  • Our purpose is to share, help and support each other
  • Please display a positive, friendly attitude and be respectful of other's opinions

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom