More threads by mattheffner

Reaction score
I'm using a tracking number in GMB and I've been fighting with Google on some listings where they keep changing it back to the main business number. However, last week on one listing they reverted the number, pulled in a few DNI website tracking numbers, and wouldn't let me add the GMB tracking number back. I've recently had this issue with adding a call tracking number in Adwords as a call extension. Seems like the issue is that they can't see the number on the website itself so they aren't convinced it's actually one of the businesses' real numbers. Anyone have suggestions on how to get the tracking number added back?

Hi Matt, I just want to confirm are you adding the actual local number as an additional number in GMB?

I had a similar issue. I tried updating the listing with the GMB number as the main number and the real number as a secondary. My GMB number was getting rejected.

The fix I found was odd and simple. I refreshed the listing page, added the GMB number, and it stuck. 🤷‍♂️

I find the tracking # usually sticks at first, but suggested user edits and google recommendations will sometimes revert to the original number. So you have to keep an eye on the number on the listing because it will sometimes revert back to the main from time to time which makes your call tracking data look bad if you don't catch it soon enough.

I have had a similar issue. We have been adding the tracking number to the website and also adding the actual local number as an additional number in GMB

I have had a similar issue. We have been adding the tracking number to the website and also adding the actual local number as an additional number in GMB

If you're adding the # to the website you should be masking the original number, not replacing it, unless they are only ever going to use the call tracking number. If the original number is masked, google still crawls the original number so it doesn't really help unless it's manually reviewed.

If you're adding the # to the website you should be masking the original number, not replacing it, unless they are only ever going to use the call tracking number. If the original number is masked, google still crawls the original number so it doesn't really help unless it's manually reviewed.
Thanks for the clarification on this. We've been adding them to the website so that there's no mix-up. I really appreciate your input @adammaxum

@Colan Nielsen yes I do. On some of them Google continuously wants to delete the tracking and move the main business number back to primary. But in this case I can't add the tracking number back at all. I've opted out of the Google Assistant calls on the listing thinking Google might tone down the switching a bit but doesn't seem to help.

@Brian Barwig haha that worked for me just now. It's like my go to when anything tech stops working... turn it off and turn it back on. Thanks for that tip! Hopefully it will stick!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom